Thread: Well Go USA Releasing The Witch: Subversion

Well Go USA Releasing The Witch: Subversion

Coming to Blu-ray on 3/10/220.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Has anyone around here seen this movie? I found it pretty engaging, but most of the reviews on IMDB are almost suspiciously enthusiastic ("MINDBLOWN!!! 10/10"). A lot of things in the movie make very little sense.

I have it but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'm always skeptical of imdb reviews if Asian films. Seems a majority lately are from South Asia especially reviews of Korean films.

"The Witch" is just the nickname of the lead character. It's a straight-up action movie with no supernatural elements or horror.

Quote Originally Posted by mjeon View Post
    "The Witch" is just the nickname of the lead character. It's a straight-up action movie with no supernatural elements or horror.
    I have to disagree with you saying it's a straight up action movie without supernatural or horror elements. It's definitely not a conventional action movie and its main premise is based on supernatural & horror undertones. It reminds me a bit of a live action adaption of ELFEN LIED with bits of LUCY, HWAYI and even De Palma's THE FURY all thrown together. The sum of its parts is not as great as it suggests and there are some off putting cartoonish moments but overall, thought it was quite entertaining and I'm looking forward to part 2. I enjoyed the fact that not all is revealed in part 1 as to the origins of the children who have harnessed powers of psychokinesis & supernatural abilities. Rookie actress, Kim Da-mi did a bang up job portraying the dual nature of her character. She was genuinely creepy with her wide eyed look & smirk even during the most brutal and violent scenes of carnage and bloodletting.

You are right, 47lab, that I probably overstated things or at least left the wrong impression. I had been hoping for a film about witches, ghosts, etc. when I bought the disc, so I was a bit disappointed. (Although I will admit that that K-pop version of of the song "Danny Boy" sent a shiver down my spine.) Kim Dami was very good, but my favorite character was the woman mad scientist. However, the mad scientist's identical twin sister popping up out of nowhere definitely qualified as an off putting cartoonish moment!

Quote Originally Posted by mjeon View Post
    You are right, 47lab, that I probably overstated things or at least left the wrong impression. I had been hoping for a film about witches, ghosts, etc. when I bought the disc, so I was a bit disappointed. (Although I will admit that that K-pop version of of the song "Danny Boy" sent a shiver down my spine.) Kim Dami was very good, but my favorite character was the woman mad scientist. However, the mad scientist's identical twin sister popping up out of nowhere definitely qualified as an off putting cartoonish moment!
    yeah, I was WTF just happened at the end. You're right, the title is a bait and switch. I for one am glad it wasn't about the expected subject matter and instead went for a genre mashup mixing sci-fi, revenge thriller and even teen drama into the mix. Don't know what the source is but this flick feels like it's based off a webtoon or manhwa. I'll check out part 2 to see how everything ties together. Although, I sheepishly admit I want less drama and more of the crazy superpowers unleashed violence onscreen.