Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenet

Tenet

Trailer for the new Christopher Nolan film.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I have no fucking idea what is going on here, but I'll give it a shot. Nolan is at least a director who dares do things a bit differently, even if he doesn't always succeed.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

So, I saw this yesterday when it premiered over here. (Since we are almost clear of the COVID wave one)

Quite spectacular indeed. Much more linnear then expected. The whole "time flow" concept was very easy to grasp and follow. And I really like that Nolan has very little CGI and greenscreen. He does his stuff in camera, so the film feels solid and real all the way.

The downside though was that the plot was a bit iffy around the edges. No real motivation as to why people did what they did other then a vague "because" and the characters were paper thin. (And in the case of Kenneth Branaghs russian oligarch quite poorly acted)

But a few really nice action set pieces and good pacing all through the 2.5 hours, so I really can't complain to much even if it isn't Nolans best.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Didn't care for this much. I thought the performances and locations were fine but the music and overall drive of the film was lacking. It seems like an idea or concept in search of a plot. I thought the fight scenes were tedious and you get to see them all several times which really wore me down. I like RASHAMON and many movies that use that structure but I thought 12 MONKEYS did this whole RASHAMON / TIMECOP thing A LOT better and actually had something deeper to say along the way with the environmentalism angle.

I really loved the jet setting nature and various locations used. Unfortunately most of the movie takes place in concrete hallways and shipping containers and barges. I like John David Washington a lot but I don't need to see him doing chin ups all the time, and you get to see him do that many many times on various ladders and whatnot. Robert Pattinson was very good. Michael Caine phoned in his one scene while he scarfs down food. The sound mix was terrible and dialogue was hard to hear and the droning music was awful. I left the theater with a headache. These aren't things I usually complain about so I know it must have bothered me.

The story is easy enough to figure out. The problem for me was once I did there wasn't much interest in watching the rest of it play out.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Name:  tilly.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  11.5 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Lol sounds about right.

Nolan is massively overrated.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Nolan is massively overrated.
    Agreed. The only one I really like is THE PRESTIGE. I think his BATMEN movies are better than the rest of the superhero stuff out there but that isn't really saying much.

Out of the films of his I have seen I liked Momento and Dark Knight. Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises did nothing for me. I still need to finish watching Inception.

When I watched Interstellar, I wondered why they went to all the trouble of making sure it was scientifically accurate, only then to write such a dumb script with cliched dialogue. There's no excuse with all the resources he has at his disposal. I love bad movies with heart where they did the best possible with little money, but I can't forgive movies like this. I really liked most of his movies up to and including The Dark Knight, but when you start to mythologise yourself and present your own shit as an event, you need to back it up with results (not financial results).
    Last edited by agent999; 12-03-2020 at 02:26 AM.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.