Thread: Doomed to Fail: The Incredibly Loud History of Doom, Sludge, and Post-Metal

Doomed to Fail: The Incredibly Loud History of Doom, Sludge, and Post-Metal

https://www.amazon.com/Doomed-Fail-I.../dp/1644280647

Doomed to Fail explores the heaviest music the world has ever heard, tracing doom, sludge, and post-metal as their own distinct (and incredibly loud) traditions. Anselmi covers the bands and musicians that have impacted those styles most―Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Melvins, Eyehategod, Godflesh, Neurosis, Saint Vitus, and many others―while diving into the cultural doom that has spawned such music, from the bombing of Birmingham and hurricane devastation of New Orleans to glaring economic inequality, industrial alienation, climate change, and widespread addiction. Along the way, Anselmi interweaves the musical experiences that have led him to proudly identify as one of the doomed.
    Excerpt: HOW MELVINS INVENTED SLUDGE: "UGLY SPAWN OF PUNK AND METAL"

Despite my open hostility to the term "post-metal", this looks mighty enticing.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: The Catwoman / Curse of the Catwoman (John Leslie, 1988-91)

Do you know if this book will cover "funeral doom", doom/death or what some call "gothic doom"? [eg: Disembowelment, Esoteric, Skepticism, Anathema/ParadiseLost/MDB]

my open hostility to the term "post-metal"
    I like to complicate things sometimes by adding "Proto" before "Post," or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Curwen View Post
    Do you know if this book will cover "funeral doom", doom/death or what some call "gothic doom"? [eg: Disembowelment, Esoteric, Skepticism, Anathema/ParadiseLost/MDB]

I like to complicate things sometimes by adding "Proto" before "Post," or vice versa.
    I'd be interested to know if the book covers that stuff as well (and Swallow The Sun among many others). By the way, there is a newish book about Paradise Lost:

https://store.decibelmagazine.com/pr...david-e-gehlke
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Curwen View Post
    Can't say for certain but this seems like it's going to be pretty in-depth so it would seem like it.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: The Catwoman / Curse of the Catwoman (John Leslie, 1988-91)