Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Torture Chamber Of Dr. Sadism

I've seen the crappy version in the Severin Hemisphere box set, but I don't like it enough to upgrade.

Just amazed by the number of discs that hit the shelves these days with qc issues. It must cost a small fortune to reissue them (unless you just say tough shit like Code Red and Dark Force), surely a better investment would be more rigorous qc checking. Using the wrong aspect ratio shouldn't be too hard to spot at stage one. How Eureka missed that subtitle error on Bride with White Hair is bewildering. At least it's just one line.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Yikes! I have both the deluxe "Schlangengrube" and the Eureka "Bride with White Hair." Is Eureka sending out replacements?

Quote Originally Posted by mjeon View Post
    Yikes! I have both the deluxe "Schlangengrube" and the Eureka "Bride with White Hair." Is Eureka sending out replacements?
    They've been very quiet so I doubt it. If they did admit it then they'd probably have to, otherwise they'd be like Code Red.

Eureka also messed up the subs on Mothra.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Meteor View Post
    Eureka also messed up the subs on Mothra.
    This makes me very worried for Viy. I just got another version recently but I was going to upgrade for the bonus film. I understand these errors aren't major, but it's really shoddy that these boutique labels aren't doing proper qc checks. It seems like the attitude is that we should be grateful just because they're doing a physical release at all. Thankfully I already have the rather nice US Mothra.

Still, I have a soft spot for Eureka, I used to mail order VHS tapes from them when they were called Mr Benson's.

The mess-up in the "Bride with White Hair" is undeniable; and it certainly takes the viewer out of the moment. Focusing on the subs made me realize that the movie is much more talky than I had remembered. On the whole Eureka did a great job and I fell in love with the film again.

As far as "Schlangengrube" is concerned, ignore the e-mail address given on blu-ray.com and write directly to the publisher: contact@ucm.one. They promise to make things right.

My replacement disc arrived today.

Anyone who has enjoyed this film -- perhaps the most visual of all of the gothic horrors -- in its previous incarnations owes it to himself to see this blu-ray presentation. The colors are brilliant and the details pin sharp. The amazing sets hold up flawlessly under this scrutiny. Karin Dor was never lovelier; Lee more commanding; Barker more heroic. Harald Reinl and Peter Thomas were at the top of their game. Carl Lange also made the best of his screen time. The deluxe set contains a CD of Thomas's delightful score, which based on simply hearing the music you would never guess was written for a horror movie.

"...perhaps the most visual of all of the gothic horrors..."

When I showed my brother, the EMS DVD many years ago, he thought it had better colors than any Bava film.
    That's saying a lot.

The only minor complaint, with this release, is the pitch of the English track.
    Even then, I find it only noticeable with Baxter's deep voice.
    I checked the older EMS DVD and it's pretty much the same.

Never thought a film like this would get such a great release.

barebones release finally coming out this month and it's cheap on amazon right now!
    https://www.amazon.de/Die-Schlangeng...d%2C224&sr=1-3
    glad I waited and skipped this replacement bullshit.