Page 5 of 307 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Code Red DVD Thread

There's a fan based release that wants to happen in March of next year of POPCORN. If it does it'll be a new transfer and a blu-ray release, with a cast commentary. Code Red is re-releasing the Elite transfer. Don't know the extras, if any. Bill seems pretty adamant about getting HIS version out 11/29, too.

The Elite transfer wasn't anything to write home about and that transferis now 10 years old. Probably won't bother with the CR release unless it's got some choice extras.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I remember POPCORN from the early 90s, and I have a nice memory of liking it, but I had NO clue it had already been released on DVD, and from Elite no less. Probably would have picked it up, too, had I known. I'm holding out hope for this new fan release actually happening. I spoke to Jill Schoelen on facebook and she, and a lot of the cast, are committed to this release. Hope it happens. If CODE RED's version DOES come out in November, and if I got the cash, I'll pick it up, just to reacquaint myself with the movie since I haven't seen it since that early 90s cable showing.

It's got its fans and I understand why, but I've never been in love with the film. Enjoyed it enough, happy to have the Elite disc, but don't need to upgrade for a recycled out of date transfer.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Don't quote me, but I seem to remember reading something about the faux-DVDR design being done as a dig at all the online Code Red haters who raved on (and on and on) that they were going to buy bootlegs copies of the film just to spite the Olsens because they were taking so long with the release. Funny guys, yes...but not without a pointed sense of humour that they can direct at some of the dickheads out there.
    I remember reading this as well, Mike. I'm pretty sure I read it over at Latarnia. I rarely visit there, but in my search for info about NIGHTMARE, this came up. I'm certain you're right about it being a swipe at the online controversy with their release.

I'm curious to see NIGHTMARE; I rented the VHS (Continental release I think, with the lurid cover and the globe logo?) years ago whe I was in university, and the tape was in such a bad state of repair that the grease from inside the tape gummed up the heads on my VCR! I had to take it apart and clean everything out because of that stupid tape! Needless to say, I never got see the movie in it's entirety, just the first five minutes or so. Oddly enough, when that same video store was clearing out VHS stock, this came up for sale. Even at 99 cents I didn't pick this up! In hindsight, maybe I should have bought it, pitched the tape, and kept the cover!

DVD Drive-In review of the Cut Throats Nine/Johsua disc. Sounds like the transfer is better than what Eurovista had, no word on the audio synch. I'll probably pick this up next time I place an order.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Anyone else dig into Nightmare yet? It's a good set (despite the unsubbed interview and 'wacky' packaging and disc labelling - disc two is made to look like a DVD-R for some reason). The newer transfer on the 2nd disc is the best of the three by quite a margin. I'm pretty happy to have it, the movie is a kick and has some pretty great gore. Lots of logic gaps, but I've come to expect that with old slasher films.

Will be digging into The Witchmaker soon.
    I'm about to watch it with Gargo. Are you kidding me - the fucking interview is unsubbed? That is so stupid it boggles the mind. I remember all the bitching about this interview but seriously - how hard is it to track down someone bilingual to take care of this? Can't they dig up a language student eager for a few bucks? AAARRRGGGHHHH - Code Red needs to get their shit together!

Oh and someone tell Bill Olsen I bought 2 copies so he can skip the "you suck as a customer speech".

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    DVD Drive-In review of the Cut Throats Nine/Johsua disc. Sounds like the transfer is better than what Eurovista had, no word on the audio synch. I'll probably pick this up next time I place an order.
    I'll gladly upgrade for CTN. I like this gritty, grim little movie. It's just so dark. I AM disappointed with the lack of extras, though. If one movie needed a commentary or featurette, it's this one. I would love to hear more about it's making, etc. It's a shame CR did nothing for this release in the way of extras, as another release of this from anyone is unlikely now, so no extras-laden edition.

I guess Bill at Code Red had to rush it out the door to please us thankless fans, huh?! This is our fault!

Has anyone else seen Haunted? It stinks and it's a complete fucking mess of a movie but I had no trouble sitting through it... once. Don't know that I'll ever rewatch it. It does have nudity and Aldo Ray so that counts for something and the theme song, Indian Woman, is awesome. I don't think it qualifies as the horror movie the marketing materials make it out to be (the VHS made it look like a horror movie too) but it does kinda-sorta have a weak supernatural angle to it.

In the extras the male lead confirms that a lot of footage had to be tossed - this might explain why the movie makes no damn sense but it doesn't explain how an Apache Indian girl with pokey nipples got reincarnated as an English woman with pokey nipples.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Also, on the Haunted DVD, there are trailers for:

The Babysitter
    The Hearse
    Blood Mania
    Black Gestapo
    Rock! Shock! Pop!