Thread: Most Shocking Moments in Television Show History?

Most Shocking Moments in Television Show History?

What is your Favorite Most Shocking Moment in Television Show History?
    For me one of the most shocking moments was in the “Magnum P.I.” episode “Did you see the sunrise?” Colonel Ivan, a war criminal who tortured Magnum, TC and Nuzo in Vietnam by playing Russian roulette with a pistol holding it to their heads and asking “Did you see the sunrise?” then pulling the trigger, comes to Hawaii to kill Magnum and TC as well as use TC by brainwashing him to kill a Japanese Prince. Magnum thwarts his plan, but it seems Colonel Ivan is going to get away with it because of his diplomatic immunity. As the Colonel is being driven through the woods in his limo to the airport they come across a car broken down with its hood up blocking the road. The limo driver gets out to see if he can help. The car’s driver is Rick who keeps the chauffeur busy while Magnum comes up to the back door of the limo and quietly gets the Colonel out and leads the him deep into the woods at gunpoint. Magnum asks him who is next on his hit list (Margaret) Thatcher? (Ronald) Reagan? The Colonel is calm and tells Magnum that he won’t kill him because he is unarmed. The Colonel walks past Magnum heading back to his limo. Magnum thinks for a moment and says “Ivan… did you see the sunrise this morning?” Col. Ivan stops turns around and replies, “Yes… why?” Magnum turns around, raises his gun and blows him away!
    How this never makes the top shocking/memorable moments in TV history is beyond me?! I remember watching this when it was first aired and I was totally blown away! (No pun intended!) Still gives me chills to this day! By the way, this scene is here on Youtube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7vW1oEKP1k

There was a British sitcom in the early nineties called If you see God, tell him. It was about a man who gets hit on the head, suffers some mental impairment and starts to believe that everything in adverts is true. It was moderately dark and satirical, but the final episode upped the WTF factor to 11. An old lady dies of natural causes in front of him so he takes her into the garden shed. Cue much hilarity as the shed door is opened on him and he's in there dissecting her corpse! He eventually gets put away for murder and retreats into his own dream world. I was not expecting that!
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    There was a British sitcom in the early nineties called If you see God, tell him. It was about a man who gets hit on the head, suffers some mental impairment and starts to believe that everything in adverts is true. It was moderately dark and satirical, but the final episode upped the WTF factor to 11. An old lady dies of natural causes in front of him so he takes her into the garden shed. Cue much hilarity as the shed door is opened on him and he's in there dissecting her corpse! He eventually gets put away for murder and retreats into his own dream world. I was not expecting that!
    I'd completely forgotten about that series. It starred Richard Briers and, I think, Imelda Staunton. Briers cuts the corpse open because he thinks he's qualified to perform a post-mortem. Bizzare television.

Very little can top seeing GHOSTWATCH when the BBC aired it, or Chris Morris' BRASS EYE when it was shown on Channel 4, imo.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

i was pretty young but i remember an episode from this show that had a plane crash. 2 or 3 people on board. the female reporter(?) dies. i still remember the part when the dude realizes she is dead. he is cradling her head in his hands trying to talk to her. that's the way i remember it anyway. doesn't sound too crazy or shocking but it hit me pretty good when i saw it.

the dude makes it out alive. think his feet got wet and damaged tho

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I'd completely forgotten about that series. It starred Richard Briers and, I think, Imelda Staunton. Briers cuts the corpse open because he thinks he's qualified to perform a post-mortem. Bizzare television.

Very little can top seeing GHOSTWATCH when the BBC aired it, or Chris Morris' BRASS EYE when it was shown on Channel 4, imo.
    I saw Ghostwatch live, but strangely I never really found it that affecting. Some of the acting was not very convincing to me. However, watching some Chris Morris such as Cake and Clamping the homeless I just wanted to eat my own fist, utterly hilarious, and yet part of me felt for these idiots that were being had too. It's death metal mudda farkas...
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Blakes 7. A British sci fi drama from the 70s about a rogue band of freedom fighters in a totalitarian future nightmare. In the final episodes our heroes, whom we've come to love over 4 seasons, get surrounded by Federation forces and shot dead. End of show. Hard to top that.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

The scene in The Sopranos when Ralphie beat that stripper to death after she told him she was pregnant with his baby.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    The scene in The Sopranos when Ralphie beat that stripper to death after she told him she was pregnant with his baby.
    That was pretty brutal. Lots of HBO shows with a lot of shocking stuff. Deadwood had a number of wtf moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    That was pretty brutal. Lots of HBO shows with a lot of shocking stuff. Deadwood had a number of wtf moments.
    Absolutely! The scene in Deadwood where Dan Dorrity and Hearst's henchman fight it out to the death had my jaw on the floor the first time I saw it!
    Breaking Bad had took a more surrealistic approach in it's method of jolting you, but many moments - such as the sight of a turtle crawling across the desert carrying a grotesque load - are unforgettable in their intensity!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Deltoid View Post
    Absolutely! The scene in Deadwood where Dan Dorrity and Hearst's henchman fight it out to the death had my jaw on the floor the first time I saw it!
    Breaking Bad had took a more surrealistic approach in it's method of jolting you, but many moments - such as the sight of a turtle crawling across the desert carrying a grotesque load - are unforgettable in their intensity!
    the One Minute episode of Breaking Bad had a pretty intense ending. when Hank gets the phone call that tell him has one minute to the end! that's a good one