Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1960s/1970s/1980s Japanese Genre Cinema – From Books and Magazine Articles (NSFW)

Thank you for sharing. Awesome stuff.

great idea for a thread...

Here’s a great little story I wanted to share from Norifumi Suzuki’s book Toei Guerilla Senki (東映ゲリラ戦記) (page 51-52). This takes place sometime in early 1972, after Reiko Ike had become a big star and Suzuki was preparing for his 5th film with Ike. Summary and rough translation:

“One of my favourite movies is The Barefoot Contessa, which depicts the turbulent life of a girl played by Ava Gardner, who becomes a star with the help of a third rate Hollywood director played by Humphrey Bogart. Thinking about it, maybe I was a third rate director who did his best to bring up a nameless delinquent Reiko Ike.”

“I was staying in a guest house in Meguro when producer Kanji Amao barged in with a newspaper in his hand. “Reiko Ike to become a singer, refuses to take nude roles anymore. Quits Toei, joins the same music company as (idol) Saori Minami” the scoop said.

“Japan’s Humphrey Bogart stood in silence.”

Suzuki and Ike filming Girl Boss Blues: Queen Bee's Challenge

I really wish I could read this book. My Japanese is non existent.....unfortunately.
    Name:  20200216_011512.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  3.29 MB

An advertisement for Modern Yakuza: Outlaw's Code (現代やくざ 与太者の掟) (1969) in Feb 10, 1969 issue of Heibon Punch, with a message from Bunta Sugawara. The damn thing reads almost like a yakuza greeting, and was quite difficult for me to translate, but I tried my best. My translation doesn’t do full justice to the original, though.

"My name is Sugawara Bunta, pleased to meet you.

I am hereby writing with regards to Modern Yakuza: Outlaw's Honor and Humanity, in which I have been granted the lead role. It’s been less than a year since I joined Toei, but I have been making films for about 10 years now. I was surprised by this assignment and have given my utmost to live up to the honour. Wakayama Tomisaburo, Fuji Junko, Machida Kyosuke and many other senior colleagues have honoured my first starring role by appearing in this picture, and made a deep impression on me with their lively performances. I’ve put all my strength into it, and it may be but a novice’s enthusiasm, but I would like to take this opportunity to ask for the support of all your Punch fans.

Sugawara Bunta"

Thank you so much Takuma. Great stuff