Thread: Taschen Books Releasing The History Of EC Comics

Taschen Books Releasing The History Of EC Comics

Coming in June.

"In 1947, Bill Gaines inherited EC Comics, a new venture founded by his legendary father M. C. Gaines, who was responsible for midwifing the birth of the comic book as we know it during his tenure at All-American Comics, bringing the likes of Wonder Woman and Green Lantern to the world. Over the next eight years, Bill Gaines and a “who’s who” of the era including Al Feldstein, Harvey Kurtzman, and Wally Wood would reinvent the very notion of the comic book with titles like Tales from the Crypt, Crime SuspenStories, Weird Science, and MAD.

EC delighted in publishing gory, morbid horror and crime comics that had snap, ironic endings―but they also pioneered the first true-to-life war comics, the first “real” science-fiction stories, and a series of tales about such then-taboo subjects as racism, bigotry, vigilantism, drug addiction, police corruption, and anti-Semitism. Too good to last, they were eventually caught up by various 1950s guardians of morality, who were convinced that EC’s often over-the-top content was causing juvenile delinquency. A year or so after a full inquiry investigating horror and crime comics, the incredible EC Comics were no more.

TASCHEN presents the full, fascinating story of this fabled company, written and designed by EC-expert Grant Geissman. Even the most die-hard EC Fan-Addicts will find something new within these pages, with the Gaines family archives providing over 100 rarities that have never seen print. Many of the cover images are reproduced from Gaines File Copies, which are widely regarded as the best surviving copies of the EC Comics.

Gathering more than 1,000 illustrations that include the rarest and most notorious covers, interior pages and panels, rare photos, vintage original artwork, and some of the most celebrated stories ever to be printed in four colors for a dime, this is the ultimate EC Comics compendium and a must-have for any comics enthusiast or pop culture historian."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

If this is half as nice as their 20-pound Marvel Comics book from a few years back, I may have to find a way to get my hands on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    If this is half as nice as their 20-pound Marvel Comics book from a few years back, I may have to find a way to get my hands on it!
    Yeah, I have their Golden Age of DC Comics and Bronze Age of DC Comics lap crushers and they're gorgeous, massively illustrated beauties. This will probably be awesome but also hefty in price.

By the way, you can often find the DC books at Barnes and Noble in the discount section for way less than cover price these days.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Yeah, I have their Golden Age of DC Comics and Bronze Age of DC Comics lap crushers and they're gorgeous, massively illustrated beauties. This will probably be awesome but also hefty in price.

By the way, you can often find the DC books at Barnes and Noble in the discount section for way less than cover price these days.
    Sadly, I’m not in the States, so I can’t find a Barnes and Noble! I did manage to find the quarter-size anniversary editions of Great Films of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s at the Canadian arm of TJMax, and got to drool over that Marvel one there, but the mini books were the better part of $20 apiece, the Marvel one was close to $200!

Amazon pre-order is up, this thing is, as predicted, pretty expensive at $188.00.

https://amzn.to/37EJv33
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Amazon pre-order is up, this thing is, as predicted, pretty expensive at $188.00.

https://amzn.to/37EJv33
    After the tariffs and markup here, probably close to $400!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    After the tariffs and markup here, probably close to $400!
    No, just $265 at Amazon.ca.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wood View Post
    No, just $265 at Amazon.ca.
    I’m honestly shocked it’s that low.