Thread: Hunters - Prime's nazihunting show for woke millennials

Hunters - Prime's nazihunting show for woke millennials

It is not often that one knows right of the bat that you are gonna hate something, but this was the case here. The opening scene really killed this show for me and even if it kind of recovered as the first episode went on, the tone was set and the damage was irreverisble.

It is a shame, cause the basic concept is good, and it has some great actors and it looks really good with filmlike cinematography and set design, but all is wasted on dumb stereotypical characters and a dumb, fake and cheesy tone that perhaps is more aimed at millennials who are accustomed to only Marvel etc then us fully functioning members of humanity.

And I'm not joking when I say that at least 10% of the entire dialogue is references to pop culture. (Starwars, Tarzan, Bronson in death wish, Shaft and Foxy Brown just within the first 30 minutes) No joke.

Anyone else seen this?
    Last edited by The Silly Swede; 02-26-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

I was going to watch it, but a review said that it was Tarantinoesque, so I decided to stay well away. Glad I haven't missed anything.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    I was going to watch it, but a review said that it was Tarantinoesque, so I decided to stay well away. Glad I haven't missed anything.
    i don't care the Tarantino movies that i have seen so i'm not too familiar with what he has to offer.

only have watched 3 episodes of Hunter, maybe 4. might have fallen asleep during the 4th one. not really digging the Jonah character which is probably killing the chances of me finishing this.

there are some moments in there but overall i would say nothing special

Even the Swede is saying woke. Making it a total joke.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I've only seen the first episode but I'm missing the 'wokeness'. The basic evilness of your Nazi is dialed up to 11, if that's what you mean, but I'm absolutely okay with that.

I'm interested enough to keep going. It's got a wierd tone. There's this sheen of quality with the actors and production values but then there's a real trashy, comic book movie side to it. Not sure if it works but it's different.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Smashed the 2nd and 3rd episodes this morning. I'm into it. The tone evens out a good deal as it goes. Turns out its some full on, trashy, Inglorious Basterds shit. Lots of Nazi killing. Given that things have gone so far in Australia recently that the governments having to talk about banning Nazi insignia there's never been a better time for some good, graphic, onscreen Nazi killing.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

watched a few more last night.

it does get better. still don't like the Jonah character very much but he isn't the main character? it does seem to even out in tone like Dom says. kinda all over the place a few times.

some funny bits throughout. some good moments too. i'll finish it. actually, a bit curious where it is going now

I wrote a longer post for this thread bit it seems to have got lost on the Interwebs... anyway to repeat myself with more brevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Even the Swede is saying woke. Making it a total joke.
    I think you're safe with this one. There's a couple lectures delivered unsubtly but at it's heart this is a show about a boy becoming a man by making his first kill and there ain't nothing woke about that. Further our heroes are psychos with a "revenge is the best revenge" worldview and a laissez faire attitude to torture that would make Jack Bauer blush.

I found it a bit of a trudge though. The constant torture scenes and holocaust flashbacks put a dampened on the fun and it just never really gets a hold of its own tone. Has a killer twist ending though (two actually) and sets itself up intriguingly for a second season though.

Man I'm getting old. From this forum alone I find myself having to google far too many terms. Never heard "woke" used that way. Seems like each time I learn one of these new terms I wish I hadn't.

Get with the times old man.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.