Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman in Black (1989) gets a blu-ray

Woman in Black (1989) gets a blu-ray

Nigel Kneale's excellent TV adaptation of THE WOMAN IN BLACK (1989) finally gets an official blu-ray release from Network in May. Released in limited edition, and currently as a web exclusive

https://networkonair.com/all-product...black-blu-ray-

Name:  the-woman-in-black-blu-ray-pre-order-.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  164.2 KB

• Feature version in full widescreen
    ?? What's up with that?

Per the newsletter I got, it looks like the main presentation is fullscreen, but they're offering a widescreen version as an extra.

Moments of this were freakin' terrifying. The Radcliffe version was decent, but this is just dripping in atmosphere.

I saw this one too late. I was already jaded and it just didn't do anything for me. Even the big scene was only mildly creepy, because I think I was expecting much more in terms of scares.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

That big scene almost made me shit myself hahaha.

It is the only film/tv drama to truly terrify me on broadcast. I was on my own, as I was too young to go out drinking. I was frozen to the spot. I guess to truly appreciate it you have to had that original experience, and for that reason it has always stayed with me. Ok, so it has probably lost some of its power over the years but most people I know who watched it in 1989 have a similar experience.

I totally see how it would've worked seeing it blind back during the original broadcast. I'm actually kinda jealous that I missed out on that experience. I had the same reaction with another infamous UK broadcast, GHOSTWATCH, that I also saw for the first time years after the fact and it did absolutely nothing for me.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

The thing with Ghostwatch was that a huge number of people didn't realise it was a drama, so spent about half the program thinking it was live, hence when it really does go a little bonkers it got freaky. I'd been to a friends house that night but got back after the program had started, I too thought it was live. There were definite moments where I was thinking wtf but finally caught on, others didn't.

I ordered the disc this morning. It's only about $20 with shipping to USA. (We don't pay VAT)