Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woman in Black (1989) gets a blu-ray

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    My mother is one of the fit to screen brigade. I got the Michael Caine Jack the Ripper Network Blu Ray for her, but I had to assure her that there was a version included that filled the whole screen for her, otherwise she didn't want it (yeah, I got her into Blu Ray, but the aspect ratio thing was a losing battle). Personally, not my choice but that was clearly composed with both options in mind, so no harm, no foul.
    Jack the Ripper. That was Network also. I knew they had done it with another release, I just couldn't remember which one.

"Dear customer,

Many thanks for your pre-order of The Woman in Black, restored in HD.

Due to the limitations introduced by the current lockdown, the production of some of

the special features are taking far longer than we’d hoped.

As a result, we are, postponing the release date to August 10th 2020.

It’s definitely worth the wait! We’d like to thank you for your support and patience

during these challenging times and apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay."

This just popped up on the Network youtube channel.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Looks nice!

It sure does look nice! And glad that even though they threw in a tiny snipped of "THAT SCENE", they didn't spoil the film for the uninitiated.

My copy shipped today!

Got my copy today!

First off, There's no room for the "book" (although it's hardly a "book") in the slipcase which sucks. I'm sure I'm gonna misplace it down the line!

Secondly, the notes on the inside of the cover say about the widescreen version (in the extras! Don't worry, the 4:3 version is there too!): "...1.78:1 widescreen version utilising the additional picture area at the edges of the 16mm frame."

So there's extra picture into that we didn't see in the fullscreen version. Have any of you watched the widescreen version yet? I'm fully aware that we - true connaisseurs of cinema - want the original versions and not fake letterbox ... but how does it look? Good? Terrible? I mean, extra picture info, right. o_O
    Last edited by Jack J; 08-15-2020 at 11:08 AM. Reason: I misspelt connaisseurs. I mean, come on, can YOU spell those damn French words!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack J View Post
    Got my copy today!

First off, There's no room for the "book" (although it's hardly a "book") in the slipcase which sucks. I'm sure I'm gonna misplace it down the line!

Secondly, the notes on the inside of the cover say about the widescreen version (in the extras! Don't worry, the 4:3 version is there too!): "...1.78:1 widescreen version utilising the additional picture area at the edges of the 16mm frame."

So there's extra picture into that we didn't see in the fullscreen version. Have any of you watched the widescreen version yet? I'm fully aware that we - true connaisseurs of cinema - want the original versions and not fake letterbox ... but how does it look? Good? Terrible? I mean, extra picture info, right. o_O
    Agree about the book. It’s so close to fitting, it’s annoying they didn’t size it down that last half inch for it to fit in the case.

As to the extra picture, yes, the widescreen has a bit more on the sides, but the fullscreen has a lot more on the top and bottom. I’ve posted comparison shots here. Personally, the widescreen still felt too constricted to me, but that might partially be down to me being used to the original composition.

Oh that's your site! I found it a couple of months back when I was buying Cronenberg blurays and looking for info. Thanks, I'll have a look.

The Guardian posted this article about the film last week:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...m-herbert-wise