Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abandoned

2 more episodes under the belt, 2 more left.

The first one we watched yesterday was about abandoned stock car tracks in the south, mostly the Carolinas. Interesting stuff that lends some insight into the cultural importance of racing in those areas. Some of the tracks are pretty massive, but modern day Nascar seems to have killed off a lot of the little guys, not surprisingly. I don't care about Nascar at all but this held my attention.

The second one was about abandoned canneries, mines and pulp mills in British Columbia. Some absolutely amazing camerawork in this episode. The focus was not just on what's been left behind but on the people who still live in some of these areas, which are insanely remote and occasionally only reachable by plane or boat. It also lends some insight into what the native people of the area have gone through with all of this and about the environmental impact.

And both episodes, again, feature some welcome humor and cool skateboarding footage.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    2 more episodes under the belt, 2 more left.

The first one we watched yesterday was about abandoned stock car tracks in the south, mostly the Carolinas. Interesting stuff that lends some insight into the cultural importance of racing in those areas. Some of the tracks are pretty massive, but modern day Nascar seems to have killed off a lot of the little guys, not surprisingly. I don't care about Nascar at all but this held my attention.

The second one was about abandoned canneries, mines and pulp mills in British Columbia. Some absolutely amazing camerawork in this episode. The focus was not just on what's been left behind but on the people who still live in some of these areas, which are insanely remote and occasionally only reachable by plane or boat. It also lends some insight into what the native people of the area have gone through with all of this and about the environmental impact.

And both episodes, again, feature some welcome humor and cool skateboarding footage.
    About 8 miles from me is an abandoned stock car track. Been up for sale since 99. But the people want way way more than it is worth.

I know one group of people were talking about buying it up. And putting in a mini golf/water park.

Did they show the one in Rockingham, NC? That was a very popular track back in the day. It was a huge blow to the local economy there when it closed. I'm not a racing fan at all but it's pretty impossible to ignore around here. Darlington Raceway, a still-active track is just 10 miles from here. That's where they have the Southern 500. The race brings in a huge amount of money to the economy here - hotels, restaurants, etc. Obviously this was all before this situation. They are racing again but no fans in the stands.

Edit - Nascar turned its back on a lot of southern tracks when they focused on going national. They lost a lot fans by doing that and never really got the national audience they wanted.
    Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 05-29-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

They did go over one really, really big track and, if memory serves, it was the Rockingham one but I'd have to go back and check to confirm.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Here's a really neat now-defunct blog that explored abandoned buildings, mostly in the midwest. It must of been a while since my last visit, it looks like they switched platforms but the content is still there there.

http://americanurbex.com/wordpress/
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

They did go over one really, really big track and, if memory serves, it was the Rockingham one but I'd have to go back and check to confirm.
    They were having concerts there, even fairly recently. Judas Priest was supposed to be there as part of a festival with several other bands. I read somewhere that they're going to tear down the grandstands though.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    They were having concerts there, even fairly recently. Judas Priest was supposed to be there as part of a festival with several other bands. I read somewhere that they're going to tear down the grandstands though.
    The series was shot in 2016 so it's a few years old. Glad the space is being used though.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!