Thread: Abandoned

Abandoned

This just got added to Hulu, anyone check it out?

Neat idea. Pro-skater Rick McCrank tours cities and checks out massive old abandoned structures like schools and malls and what not. Occasionally he skates them but mostly he just talks to people about the history of the buildings, the impact on the local communities and gathers stories about them.

It's a really nicely shot show, some great drone photography is used to capture aerial views that are sometimes just super impressive.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Fun find.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

I watched a fair bit of this a couple years back. It's remarkable the places that can be abandonded in the US. The economics of it are hard to get your head around. Theres a lot of infrastructure in a mall, how can it become worthless? I don't think there's any equivalent here. Occasionally you see things that look abandoned but really they're just buildings that developers are letting fall to ruin while they wait for permission to put flats on them.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I want to watch it. But the last week Hulu hasnt worked for shit. See 3 minutes of low quality video then it buffers for 5 minutes. Not sure what is up cause every other service i have works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    I watched a fair bit of this a couple years back. It's remarkable the places that can be abandonded in the US. The economics of it are hard to get your head around.
    I actually found aspects of the show quite sad for that reason - there's so much space just not being used, all while there are people without homes, etc. So much could be done with a lot of this space and these buildings. And it does come up in the show.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

There was an episode of Top Gear or the Grand Tour recently where they went to Detroit. I know those boys go for impact over accuracy every time but it really did seem like half of Detroit would be a candidate for appearing in this show. I'm sure it was an exaggeration but the presentation was that masses of inner city infrastructure had just been left to rot and there weren't enough people to fill the space.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    There was an episode of Top Gear or the Grand Tour recently where they went to Detroit. I know those boys go for impact over accuracy every time but it really did seem like half of Detroit would be a candidate for appearing in this show. I'm sure it was an exaggeration but the presentation was that masses of inner city infrastructure had just been left to rot and there weren't enough people to fill the space.
    I was in Detroit in the late 90s and it was a war zone then. By all accounts it has only gotten worse.

I'm pretty sure there's an episode of Abandoned that covers it but we haven't gotten to it yet.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

It's such a shame. I know there was talk years ago about buying up all the homes and moving everyone into a single planned neighborhood, level everything else and turn it into parks and forest preserves. A grand goal but I think it would be worth the trouble and the only real answer, otherwise it's just going to continue to wither and rot.

I went there a few times in the late '90s early 2000s to go to C-Pop Gallery. It was a cool art gallery founded by artist Tom Thewes and featured shows by Robert Williams, Glenn Barr, Shag, Niagara and other similar artists, many featured in Juxtapoze. It was always a trip going there. It was a corner gallery bright and shiny and new and everything around it was a burnt out husk and abandoned. I was bummed to find it shut down and isn't there any more.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

The episode on the Salton Sea in California is fascinating, amazing, terrifying, beautiful and tragic all at the same time.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!