Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #21
    Just ordered a wad of vintage noir books by Gil Brewer. It remains to be seen if they get read soon. Great author, though.

    Lorne, do you have any favorite Laymon books? I sure do.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    Lorne, do you have any favorite Laymon books? I sure do.
    I'm embarrassed to admit that this is only my second one. I read THE CELLAR when it was first published, then a few years ago my buddy was getting rid of a bunch of the author's paperbacks and I took them. I'm now trying to go through them in chronological order, though it will be a while before I finish, I'm sure. Perhaps some of your favorites are among the ones I have?
    VHS will never die!

  3. #23
    I had read THE CELLAR in the 90s, I think. Thought it was great, and wondered what ever happened to the guy. Later I realized that he had a ton of books in print in England. I acquired and read them chronologically. His second book might be my favorite: THE WOODS ARE DARK. Try to get a fairly recent copy if you can, because they put back in all the stuff that the US publisher cut out. Such a fantastic book. The shit starts going down on page 2 and just never lets up. Would make a fantastic movie. It's like OFF SEASON, but doesn't take one hundred pages to get going. Hope you like it--your mileage may vary. He's got plenty of other good ones.

  4. #24
    Scholar of Sleaze Paul L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The clinic of the mysterious Dr Orlof
    Posts
    4,980
    The was an old thread dedicated to what people are reading, but I always forgot to post in it; a new one is always welcome

    Currently I am reading Susan Hill's THE MIST IN THE MIRROR. This is one of Hill's books that I've had for many years but have never bothered reading. It's okay. The central premise works well, and there are some very evocative/atmospheric passages, but in other respects it's a bit of a slog. The pacing seems all over the shop. Not on par with THE SMALL HAND, say.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

  5. #25
    Scholar of Sleaze Paul L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The clinic of the mysterious Dr Orlof
    Posts
    4,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    I had read THE CELLAR in the 90s, I think. Thought it was great, and wondered what ever happened to the guy. Later I realized that he had a ton of books in print in England. I acquired and read them chronologically. His second book might be my favorite: THE WOODS ARE DARK. Try to get a fairly recent copy if you can, because they put back in all the stuff that the US publisher cut out. Such a fantastic book. The shit starts going down on page 2 and just never lets up. Would make a fantastic movie. It's like OFF SEASON, but doesn't take one hundred pages to get going. Hope you like it--your mileage may vary. He's got plenty of other good ones.
    I read quite a lot of Laymon back in the 90s. My memories are fairly vague, though THE WOODS ARE DARK, THE BEAST HOUSE and THE ISLAND were my favourites, I think. Enjoy the ride, Lorne!
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

  6. #26
    Senior Member Mark Tolch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    8,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    The was an old thread dedicated to what people are reading, but I always forgot to post in it; a new one is always welcome

    Currently I am reading Susan Hill's THE MIST IN THE MIRROR. This is one of Hill's books that I've had for many years but have never bothered reading. It's okay. The central premise works well, and there are some very evocative/atmospheric passages, but in other respects it's a bit of a slog. The pacing seems all over the shop. Not on par with THE SMALL HAND, say.


    The old thread was great, but I lost interest because it turned into the "What Comics Have You Been Reading?". I do like comics, and read them occasionally, but I don't like 'em that much.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I think we did have a previous thread, maybe it was "Currently Reading". I'm too stressed to read books right now but I am reading the new issue of Decibel magazine with a look back at 1995 and the At The Gates/Dissection tour and ratings of all the extreme metal albums that came out that year. It's amazing how many great albums were released in 95.
    I'm reading this as well. One of their best issues in awhile, which is bittersweet because it's the last issue of my subscription that I've had for 10 years. It's too pricey with the vinyl insert and I'd feel incomplete if I had the sub w/out the vinyl, so I didn't renew.

    Also reading THEY CAME FROM WITHIN: A HISTORY OF CANADIAN HORROR CINEMA; just read an old Master of Kung Fu comic that hasn't held up that well- it's a Gene Day art-issue, which is fine, but I prefer Gulacy; and just got 4 old MAD paperbacks in the mail (Hopping Mad, Mad in Orbit, Clod's Letters to Mad, and another one I'm blanking on).

  8. #28
    Scholar of Sleaze Paul L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The clinic of the mysterious Dr Orlof
    Posts
    4,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    The old thread was great, but I lost interest because it turned into the "What Comics Have You Been Reading?". I do like comics, and read them occasionally, but I don't like 'em that much.
    I took a load of comics, including some Judge Dredd comics, out at my local library back in Feb/March. The loans have been extended to September because of the lockdown. However, I haven't read a single one of them.

    I may be getting old :D
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

  9. #29
    Pallid Hands Andrew Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    This Godforsaken Outpost
    Posts
    4,698
    Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    I'm reading this as well. One of their best issues in awhile, which is bittersweet because it's the last issue of my subscription that I've had for 10 years. It's too pricey with the vinyl insert and I'd feel incomplete if I had the sub w/out the vinyl, so I didn't renew.

    Also reading THEY CAME FROM WITHIN: A HISTORY OF CANADIAN HORROR CINEMA; just read an old Master of Kung Fu comic that hasn't held up that well- it's a Gene Day art-issue, which is fine, but I prefer Gulacy; and just got 4 old MAD paperbacks in the mail (Hopping Mad, Mad in Orbit, Clod's Letters to Mad, and another one I'm blanking on).
    They Came From Within is a terrific book, I thoroughly enjoyed that one.

    I only have a couple issues left on my Decibel sub and I'm torn on renewing. As you say, the new issue is one of the better ones they've done recently but some have been a lot of coverage of Decibel Metal and Beer fests and Decibel tour stuff (obviously pre-virus). It all seemed too in-house and more advertising than anything else.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

  10. #30
    Pallid Hands Andrew Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    This Godforsaken Outpost
    Posts
    4,698
    Went to a bookstore for the first time since early March yesterday. I just found out Sunday that Stephen King has a new book out, and having some credit left on a gift card I decided to pick it up. If It Bleeds is a collection of 4 novellas. The titular one is what made me want to grab this, it's sort of a sequel to The Outsider. Holly Gibney from that book and the Bill Hodges trilogy is in it and investigating a television reporter who seems to have a knack for being first on the scene of a tragedy. I'm only about a third in so far but already hooked. I really loved The Outsider and this is a cool follow up.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •