Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

What are you reading?

I looked and didn't see a thread for what we are currently reading. At another forum I post at the What are you reading thread has helped me discover many books and authors.

THE MISSISSIPPI WRESTLING TERRITORY: THE UNTOLD STORY by Gil Culkin

This book is about how back in pre-WWF expansion days most states had a wrestling fed. Gil Culkin's father ran the MS territory for years. But for various reasons there is almost no info that is easy to find about this forgotten fed.

I got sent a copy of the book to review,thank you Ms Kelly. And even though what is talked about in the book all either happened before I was born,or when I was a young child,I still really enjoyed the book.

Like most wrestling books the best parts of this one is all the road stories. Back when the Culkins were running the MS territory in MS you had nothing but two lane country roads. One night Gil was driving the truck pulling the trailer with the ring in it. IIRC he was heading to Vicksberg. Gil threw a cig out the window. And not long after that him and his passenger saw smoke coming from the trailer.

They pull over and see that the cig had landed on the ring padding and set it on fire. They quickly pulled the padding out and thankfully had pulled over not far from a large creek. And managed to save about half the padding.

Not sure how much appeal this book would have to anyone that isn't from the MS area or has an interest in the history of wrestling pre-WWF expansion days. But for me this was a great read.

So what have yall been reading lately.

I'm going to make this thread sticky!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

THX.

Started the TPB collection of all 6 issues of the Reel Wild Cinema zine last night. It collects all 6 issues of the 90s Australia based movie zine.

I can't concentrate on reading at the moment. I did read a bit of The Devil A Biography by Peter Stanford yesterday, but I'm finding it much easier just to watch films these days.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

I just finished a re-read of American Dreams Lost and Found by Studs terkel. I read it back in the 80's. This time his leftist leanings seemed like more than a lean but back then I'm sure it seemed 'right on'.

'The Rifles', William T. Vollman. Probably best if you know something about the Franklin Expedition.
    Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

I just finished re-reading Journey to the Center of The Cramps by Dick Porter, and then because I was in the mood for more, started re-reading Porter's first book on the Cramps, A Short History of Rock N Roll Psychosis. My brain doesn't allow me to retain anything these days, so I read mostly biographies, mostly ones that I've already read.

I made a list of about 200 small comic book publishers (focusing largely on ones that put out “bad girl art” in the ‘90s) then set about acquiring the entire back catalogs of the ones who put out the fewest numbers of individual issues. I am still acquiring them, but began by reading the comics of the companies who only put out one single comic before folding, then moved on to the ones who only released two issues, etc. A lot of dreck, but some pleasant surprises. I can elaborate if I get the feeling that anyone cares, but that would surprise me.

Man, I think that's a great idea, Marshall! I'd care to read about your thoughts of that dreck. I'm sure I unfortunately read a lot of those comics.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

I think we did have a previous thread, maybe it was "Currently Reading". I'm too stressed to read books right now but I am reading the new issue of Decibel magazine with a look back at 1995 and the At The Gates/Dissection tour and ratings of all the extreme metal albums that came out that year. It's amazing how many great albums were released in 95.

Marshall, I would LOVE to read your thoughts on those comics!
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    I can elaborate if I get the feeling that anyone cares, but that would surprise me.
    Please do. I may or may not have stories that tie into this.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!