Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 197

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    Don't bother with Insomnia. 900 page book and nothing happens until about page 703. It is only useful as a doorstop or as a cure to the titular malady.
    ACK! May be going back to the library sooner than I thought. Will give it a try though. Thanks for the warning.
    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

  2. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Backwoods Mississippi
    Posts
    3,233
    Yea Insomnia was not good. Almost as bad as Bag of Bones.

  3. #163
    Senior Member Mark Tolch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    10,307
    I had no recollection of it, and just read a synopsis...it was pretty bad, from what I remember.

  4. #164
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I had no recollection of it, and just read a synopsis...it was pretty bad, from what I remember.
    It had a cool concept that would have made for a great novella, but the monotonous first 2/3rds of the book was just insanely boring, though well-written. I hated myself for continuing to read it after about page 350 or so because nothing was fucking happening, but the prose was King's usual enjoyable style.

  5. #165
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    63,302
    Read Brubaker's Gotham Noir one-shot from 2011 last night. Decent enough if a bit cliched. Jim Gordon was well-written here as a hard drinking PI who lost his job on the force and his marriage to the bottle. He and Bruce were in WWII together which ties into the story about trying to figure out what happened to be young woman Gordon escorted to a party only to have her get murdered.

    Not amazing, but worth reading if you like his noir writing and can find it cheap.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  6. #166
    50 pages into INSOMNIA I realized I had read it before....and didn't like it. Took it back to the library and checked out IF IT BLEEDS, LATER and a Jack Reacher book. Read the first three stories/novellas of BLEEDS and enjoying it so far.
    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

  7. #167
    Insomnia and Bag of Bones were it for me. That's when I stopped reading King. I never thought much of the Dark Tower stuff either. But he did have an amazing run from 74-87.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

  8. #168
    Senior Member Mark Tolch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    10,307
    Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    Insomnia and Bag of Bones were it for me. That's when I stopped reading King. I never thought much of the Dark Tower stuff either. But he did have an amazing run from 74-87.
    Thank you. I thought his Dark Tower stuff was boring as hell.

    I just went through his bibliography....didn't realize that he had written so many books I haven't read.

    I maintain that 11/22/63 is fantastic, though.

    JOYLAND, for me, was entertaining, and I loved the pulpiness of it, but it was just an entertaining story.

  9. #169
    Pallid Hands Andrew Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    This Godforsaken Outpost
    Posts
    5,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Banks View Post
    50 pages into INSOMNIA I realized I had read it before....and didn't like it. Took it back to the library and checked out IF IT BLEEDS, LATER and a Jack Reacher book. Read the first three stories/novellas of BLEEDS and enjoying it so far.
    The title story from If It Bleeds is excellent - a sort of sequel to The Outsider. What Reacher book did you get? They're all great, except the most recent that Child wrote with his brother (he's handing the series off to him which sucks).
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

  10. #170
    Intellectual Carrot Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    3,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Read Brubaker's Gotham Noir one-shot from 2011 last night. Decent enough if a bit cliched. Jim Gordon was well-written here as a hard drinking PI who lost his job on the force and his marriage to the bottle. He and Bruce were in WWII together which ties into the story about trying to figure out what happened to be young woman Gordon escorted to a party only to have her get murdered.

    Not amazing, but worth reading if you like his noir writing and can find it cheap.
    I love that GOTHAM NOIR one-shot. That's a reprint you have, the actual comic came out in 2001. It was Brubaker and Phillips' first collaboration together. I think it's just great. There's a similar book called BATMAN NINE LIVES written by Dean Motter with art by Michael Lark (who is also a sometimes collaborator with Brubaker). In this one Dick Grayson plays the detective. The comic is in landscape format.



    Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    Insomnia and Bag of Bones were it for me. That's when I stopped reading King. I never thought much of the Dark Tower stuff either. But he did have an amazing run from 74-87.
    As much as I like Steve as a personality and pop culture icon his writing is rather hacky and overwrought. He has some great ideas but he was always badly in need of an editor. That he's the most popular writer of our times says a lot about our times.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •