Kino Releasing Backlash

Coming August 18th!

Backlash (1956)
    • NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Samm Deighan
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
    • Optional English Subtitles

Color 84 Minutes 2.00:1 Not Rated
    From John Sturges, the legendary director of Bad Day at Black Rock, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, The Satan Bug and Ice Station Zebra, comes this top-notch western starring Richard Widmark (Yellow Sky) and Donna Reed (It’s a Wonderful Life). Hard-bitten wanderer Jim Slater (Widmark) rides the range seeking to avenge his father’s death. Along the way he meets frontier widow Karyl Orton (Reed), who is being hunted by gunslinger Johnny Cool (William Campbell, Man Without a Star). The unlikely duo endures various hardships as Slater comes to suspect his father died from something more sinister than an apparent Apache ambush. Irving Glassberg’s (Bend of the River, The Tarnished Angels) superb cinematography lends this serpentine tale of revenge a heavy dose of atmosphere. Backlash also boasts a screenplay by the great Borden Chase (Red River, Winchester ’73) and a strong supporting cast that includes John McIntire (Apache), Barton MacLane (The Maltese Falcon) and Harry Morgan (The Ox-Bow Incident).

Name:  back.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  155.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This is a damned good Western. The German BD is pretty good.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I've never seen this one, can't wait to remedy that! Sturges is damn near always reliable, particularly when it comes to westerns. Toss in Borden Chase writing it (just rewatched RED RIVER a week or so ago for the zillionth time) and that impressive cast and it's a must-buy.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I've never seen this one, can't wait to remedy that! Sturges is damn near always reliable, particularly when it comes to westerns. Toss in Borden Chase writing it (just rewatched RED RIVER a week or so ago for the zillionth time) and that impressive cast and it's a must-buy.
    I can guarantee you'll like it, Andrew. Chase's script is particularly on point, as usual.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I can guarantee you'll like it, Andrew. Chase's script is particularly on point, as usual.
    I'm really looking forward to it, I've read many good things about Chase's script (including comparisons to WINCHESTER 73).

I've never seen it either but with Borden Chase, John McIntyre, Richard Widmark and Henry Morgan, sign me up!
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I've never seen it either but with Borden Chase, John McIntyre, Richard Widmark and Henry Morgan, sign me up!
    Don't forget Barton MacLane, one of my favorite character actors of the 40s and 50s. He was in tons of films, including THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. That fight scene where Tim Holt and Humphrey Bogart beat the crap out of him is so good. "I'm licked boys...I'm licked."