Thread: Magic Of Spell (1988)

Magic Of Spell (1988)

Here's something different a 1988 Taiwanese fantasy, special effects and wireworks spectacular that, as far as I know, hasn't ever been released on DVD.

It's a wierd one. Peach Boy (played by a girl) lives with his Grandmother (played by a guy) in the woods. They get attacked by some "ghosts", who seem more like wizards and warlocks, and grandma gets killed sending Peach Boy out for revenge. He's joined by a dog, a monkey and a chicken spirit, who appear out of nowhere and are never explained, and the Ginseng King who is a ginseng plant that grows out of the ground. Eating him confers ultimate power. That's all I understood.

Very heavily inspired by A Chinese Ghost Story. Feels like a kid film but I'm not sure if that was intentional. The whole thing is on YouTube for your enjoyment but check out this clip for a little of what you can expect. Wild stuff.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Oh man! Brings back memories! I haven't watched this since sometime in the 90s. Have I got this on VCD? I forget. If nothing else I did get a 3/4/5th generation vhs dupe of it back in the tapetrader days. I remember rewatching it repeatedly cos it was so wild and entertaining. I might even have reviewed it for a zine back then. I'm pretty sure I learnt about this via one of Tim Paxton's reviews in NAKED! SCREAMING! TERROR! zine. Good to see all this stuff now gets posted on YouTube.

I watched that with no context whatsoever and found it completely bewildering. I learn now it was part of a series which may explain a lot of the completely nonsensical elements. If you're curious the magic words to search on youtube are "child of peach".
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Thanks, Dom D. I forget how the sequels/prequels are as I haven't watched them since the early 2000s, but I got them all on bootleg dvd from, uh, what's that place in the UK, Fleshlegs? Longlegs? Flashlegs? They were selling kung fu flicks on bootleg dvd-r 15-20 yrs ago.

This series is hellafun, you can get em all legit. It's propably not that easy now though.