Thread: DC Animated movies

DC Animated movies

An occasional thread per each individual movie is occasionally made but I thought it would be cool to make a thread about all of them.

Recently I saw Superman: Red Son which I loved tremendously. Best Superman animated movie in a long time. Even though I was told some changes were made from the comic like Wonder Woman not being a lesbian and the ending being more of a downer.

Last night I finished Justice League Dark: Apokolips War. The last Justice League Dark was R-rated and you could hardly tell but this one definitely ramps up the content. Fuck is said quite a bit. A lot of gore. Justice League members being eaten alive by Parademon/Doomsday hybrids. It's very good and it feels like a conclusion to the New 52 Timeline in the DC Animated universe. My only issue is that I still don't understand John Constantine's powers. It just seems like he can do whatever is required of the plot which I guess you could leverage that criticism at any character that can use magic.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I highly recommend Batman Ninja. It was written and animated by an all-Japanese crew, and looks amazing. The story is basically that a time anomaly sends Batman and his allies and rogue’s gallery through time and space to feudal Japan, and due to some mumbo-jumbo, Batman arrives in the past two years after everyone else to find that the Joker is a samurai lord. Great action, cool character designs, and just a lot of fun. Just don’t watch the English dub, it’s one of the worst cases of a great cast being given a godawful script that I have ever seen. For some bizarre reason, the Japanese audio track has to be chosen from the Special Fearures menu instead of the Setup menu.

I think my favorite of the ones I've seen is JUSTICE LEAGUE THE NEW FRONTIER, based on the limited series by Darwyn Cooke. It had the same art style as the comic and followed it fairly closely. It's a must see if you're into the Silver Age.

BATMAN YEAR ONE and ALL STAR SUPERMAN were really good as well.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I liked Year One a lot. The best Batman animated for me is Dark Knight Returns.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

For Batman Year one,DKR and Under the Hood are the best.

For non-Batman stuff...

JLA Dark-yea Bats is in this but still it is great.
    Wonder Woman-The first one they did of her is amazing.
    Justice League the New Frontier-Almost as good as the comic.

Under The Red Hood gets my nod as the best. Flashpoint is pretty close too.
    "Freddie's on the corner now. If you wanna be a junkie wow!"

I should check out BATMAN NINJA, the trailer has a great style to it which is missing from most of the DC animated movies. I haven't seen them all but I like BATMAN GOTHAM KNIGHT the most for that reason, it has a great anime style. It's more lush than most of the adapted works which are very bland and look like a Saturday morning cartoon. Plus it has brief appearances from Rene Montoya and Crispus Allen from Gotham Central! THE SPECTRE and JONAH HEX Showcase shorts are also very well done if too brief. All three of these works stand nicely alongside each other.

I did like NEW FRONTIER but wish it was more stylized. I remembering liking CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS more than I thought I would. Ditto, SUPERMAN VS THE ELITE. I liked JLA DOOM a lot until I read JLA TOWER OF BABEL and now see it as a huge missed opportunity. It's a completely different story.

MASK OF PHANTASM is still better than all these, IMO, but I think MYSTERY OF THE BATWOMAN is underrated while BATMAN & MR FREEZE: SUBZERO is horrible. I didn't care for RETURN OF THE JOKER but I realize I'm in the minority on that one and think I was just reaching a saturation point on it all.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Banks View Post
    Flashpoint is pretty close too.
    I watched so many of these initially back to back that some of them blend together. This rang a bell but I couldn't place it so I watched the trailer and some clips. I had seen it! I actually liked this one quite a bit, I should give it another go.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I should check out BATMAN NINJA, the trailer has a great style to it which is missing from most of the DC animated movies. I haven't seen them all but I like BATMAN GOTHAM KNIGHT the most for that reason, it has a great anime style. It's more lush than most of the adapted works which are very bland and look like a Saturday morning cartoon. Plus it has brief appearances from Rene Montoya and Crispus Allen from Gotham Central! THE SPECTRE and JONAH HEX Showcase shorts are also very well done if too brief. All three of these works stand nicely alongside each other.

I did like NEW FRONTIER but wish it was more stylized. I remembering liking CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS more than I thought I would. Ditto, SUPERMAN VS THE ELITE. I liked JLA DOOM a lot until I read JLA TOWER OF BABEL and now see it as a huge missed opportunity. It's a completely different story.

MASK OF PHANTASM is still better than all these, IMO, but I think MYSTERY OF THE BATWOMAN is underrated while BATMAN & MR FREEZE: SUBZERO is horrible. I didn't care for RETURN OF THE JOKER but I realize I'm in the minority on that one and think I was just reaching a saturation point on it all.
    Batman Ninja is awesome. It was done by a Japanese studio and even had a in Japan that did quite well at the box office.

Just don’t watch it with the English dub, trust me.