Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: John Carpenter. What do we think?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    So jealous that you got see prime Carpenter on the big screen. I would travel pretty far to see a retro screening of PRINCE OF DARKNESS.
    I was fortunate enough to get to see PRINCE OF DARKNESS on the big screen the year before last, along with THEY LIVE, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and THE FOG. All were digital projects but it was a great experience. (PRINCE OF DARKNESS and THEY LIVE were on a double bill.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    Any thoughts on the Carpenter-scripted BLACK MOON RISING? The trailer doesn't do much for me, but I'm certainly curious.
    I assembled a review of the Arrow Blu-ray release of that title last year. I hadn't seen it in maybe 20 years or perhaps slightly more. Still as weak as I recall, but Tommy Lee Jones makes the whole thing watchable.

Review link: http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=5813
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Speaking of the experiencing Carpenter on the big screen, I've gotten to see all of JC's pics in 35mm save for four of his eighteen films. Almost all upon initial release, and a few of them I've gotten to see multiple times over the years: DARK STAR, HALLOWEEN, THING, ESCAPE FROM NY, THEY LIVE, FOG, BIG TROUBLE and STARMAN in 70mm!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Speaking of the experiencing Carpenter on the big screen, I've gotten to see all of JC's pics in 35mm save for four of his eighteen films. Almost all upon initial release, and a few of them I've gotten to see multiple times over the years: DARK STAR, HALLOWEEN, THING, ESCAPE FROM NY, THEY LIVE, FOG, BIG TROUBLE and STARMAN in 70mm!
    Nice! I've seen most of Carpenter's 'big hitters' at the cinema over the years - everything up to and including IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, except for STARMAN, CHRISTINE and DARK STAR.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

The only Carpenter I've seen on the big screen was Ghosts of Mars, and that was quite shitty.

I've seen him perform his music live though, in Copenhagen. And that was pretty damn fantastic.

As for his films, I consider The Thing to be one of the best films ever made, and I love Escape from NY and Big Trouble in Little China. Wore out my VHS on the latter back in the day. Assault on Precinct 13 is also damn fine.

They Live is also really good, but to slow to really rewatch over and over as the ones mentioned above.

Halloween is good for its genre and type, but really is just that. Your stereotypical slasher, but with a score that is above and beyond what is expected from this type of film.

Dark Star is quirky and fun, but really not much of a re-watch value.

Prince of Darkness is all right also.

The rest is pretty much meh. (Except The Ward, which is absolute dogshit)

Oh, and I forgot to mention.... Escape from LA is perhaps the biggest dissapointment ever haha. I remember renting the VHS and despite the tacky trailer I had some hopes of JC pulling something worthwhile off anyways...... That did not happen to say the least.
    Last edited by The Silly Swede; 07-13-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Silly Swede View Post
    (Except The Ward, which is absolute dogshit)
    I really, really hope that Carpenter can summon up the energy to direct a short, or a TV epsiode, or anything really, just so that he doesn't go to his grave with 'The Ward' as the final entry on his filmography.

I'm still convinced that only blackmail or family obligation could have convinced him to come out of 'retirement' to direct that damned thing...

I know I am one of the few,but I rather watch the Ward than Prince of Darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    I know I am one of the few,but I rather watch the Ward than Prince of Darkness.
    Blasphemy.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.