Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Once Upon A Time... In The Valley

Here's what we learn in episode 7:

- California is cool and kids who lived there in the 80's were really cool.
    - Hardcore punk is more extreme than regular punk.
    - California girls were hot.
    - David Lee Roth covered the Beach Boys' song "California Girls" and shot the video in California.
    - Kids in 80's California used cool slang such as "bone down".
    - California is rad.
    - Traci Lords once pretended to smoke a cigarette in front of her boyfriend and his beach buds which is NOT cool and is proof that she's a manipulative harpy.
    - Bay Watch was a show that took place in California and was really popular. The women on that show were hot.
    - Hello Fresh is a meal planning service that provides healthy dinner alternatives. Once Upon a Time in the Valley listeners can get $10 off their first Hello Fresh order by using the promo code BONEDOWN
    Last edited by Toyboy; 08-13-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
    - Hello Fresh is a meal planning service that provides healthy dinner alternatives. Once Upon a Time in the Valley listeners can get $10 off their first Hello Fresh order by using the promo code BONEDOWN
    That made me LOL.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

And don't forget the attachment to your toilet that will gently spray your private parts so you don't need toilet paper in the future. Actually you may really need that after eating a Hello Fresh meal.

Matt will be excited to learn that episode 8 went online today.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Matt will be excited to learn that episode 8 went online today.
    Who's Matt?

This episode was slightly more illuminating than the previous ones, with the interview subjects giving some much needed insight into what was happening in Nora/Traci's pre-adult biz life beyond what was in her book. The show is still a mess - I just wish they'd take the subject on in a more straight forward way and quit being coy, attempting to present this as a mystery. Some recent podcasts I've listened to that Anolik and company could take a page from in terms of laying out a compelling narrative from real life events are Slow Burn, Wind of Change and Hunting Warhead. Anolik and West sound like award show presenters trying to make their scripted banter sound like an off the cuff conversation when they could just get right to the point. Have your interviewees talk and provide some context when needed but stop acting as though this is world-shattering info or that you're letting us in on some naughty secret.

I'm also really tired of them marveling at people in the adult industry having code words and jargon. That's EVERY industry. I worked in printing for 25 years and I'm sure someone who had zero printing background might get confused if they heard me talking shop with another employee. It's true for restaurants, trucking, the military, mainstream film, etc. That isn't remarkable and neither is the idea of some people in XXX feeling like family, yet that gets brought up continually as though it's a revelation. Again, that's what happens at jobs, or anyplace where people live and work in close quarters. If the aim is to normalize Adult film work, great, but they present it as though it's wholly unique to that world. It isn't.

I need to talk to this Matt guy about this podcast. Seems like we might see eye to eye on it.

Except for episodes 7 and 8 because of their nature, there has not been a single thing in this that I didn't already know.

A big problem I have with the series is how West revises history to suit either the points he wants to make or to match who he has interviews with. In episode 8 they seem to be saying that the Penthouse centerfold pushed Lords to hardcore. The Penthouse issue was dated September meaning the on sale date was sometime in August. Lords already had hardcore films/videos released by that time. I think in an earlier episode it was even mentioned how Lords use to brag about it coming out on sets.

I need to talk to this Matt guy about this podcast. Seems like we might see eye to eye on it.
    If you do talk to that Matt guy, tell him about the Gold Ninja Video releases, as I remember he was a fan of the insane stylings of one Godfrey Ho (particularly the CATMAN series).
    VHS will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne Marshall View Post
    If you do talk to that Matt guy, tell him about the Gold Ninja Video releases, as I remember he was a fan of the insane stylings of one Godfrey Ho (particularly the CATMAN series).
    I'll let him know. Thanks!

Episode 9 just went live.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Episode 10 is out now.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!