Thread: The Sandman. (Audible)

The Sandman. (Audible)

My wife gifted me with one of her audible credits and downloaded Gaiman's SANDMAN for me; I started reading the comic with issue one the day it came out and have been a massive fan for the last few decades (even re-reading the entire series since I've been distancing) so I was super hesitant to listen to it- I've been against all the portential movie adaptations and am very nervous about the upcoming Netflix series- but so far I'd say I like about 85% of it.

I'm not sure what I expected Dream to sound like- but not James McAvoy just talking like... James McAvoy? So I haven't been happy about that, but Bebe Neuwirth as a sentient cat? That's what I'm here for.

I took a lot of flack years back for saying that Snyder's WATCHMEN was the 'best adaptation of the source material we're going to get' (which is distinct and separate from being the Watchman adaptation I wanted) and I think I'll stick to that with this: Despite it's flaws, this is about the best adaptation of Sandman that we're going to get. Worth the credit- absolutely. Worth $34? Not sure.

Anyone else listened to it?

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnP5 View Post

Anyone else listened to it?
    My wife and I are listening to it together. She's never read it, and (similar to you) I've been a fan for decades. We made it all the way through Morpheus' retrieval of his helm our first listen, and will be returning today for another couple chapters.

I 100% agree about McAvoy. He's not Morpheus. It's a shame, really, because the rest of the casting / "acting" has been quite good.

I've been intermittently paging along with it, and Gaiman has done an exceptional job of adapting it. The wife is thoroughly enjoying it, and keeps asking to pause to confirm references, easter eggs, etc.

All of this is a very long winded suggestion to listen to it with a comic neophyte with an appreciation for the work(s) that influenced Gaiman's building of the world. I'm not sure which I'm enjoying more - the new perspective of the audio drama or my wife's first experience with a story I hold so dear - but no matter. The pleasure is still quite real, and it's a fantastic distraction from everything else going on.

Under my circumstances, it's well worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by null View Post

I 100% agree about McAvoy. He's not Morpheus. It's a shame, really, because the rest of the casting / "acting" has been quite good.
    Like... he's just.. him? And inconsistent at that- his dialogue with Hob he seemed to be phoning it in. But then other eps he's super into it. What can you do, I suppose. If thats the weak link I guess I can't complain too much. (My other nitpicking is The Corinthian. Ahmad plays him kind of sinister and I guess I always saw him as cheerful and 'All American Boy' which makes his evil more... evil? I kind of saw Paul Rudd doing his voice, but I guess that's the danger in 'fan casting')