Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceremonia Sangrienta (1973 - aka Blood Ceremony)

Ceremonia Sangrienta (1973 - aka Blood Ceremony)

From Mondo Macabro's Newsletter:

This incredible classic of Spanish horror finally makes its legit disc debut in the US this fall! A bold and bloody retelling of the Countess Bathory mythos from the director of LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE, BLOOD CEREMONY has all the atmosphere and chills you'd expect from this era of Eurohorror. As shown in the art above, this Blu-ray will come out first as a "red case" LE that will include a booklet and a set of postcards, and will feature a reversible cover with stunning new art by Justin Coffee on the A side and classic ad art on the B. Check out our social media pages in the coming days for more info about this release. And before you ask, yes, we are working to make sure we can present the most compete version of this film possible. More on that as we get closer to publication.

Anybody like this? Grau interests me, but the trailer for this has always looked stultifying. Sorry to be a buzzkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    Anybody like this? Grau interests me, but the trailer for this has always looked stultifying. Sorry to be a buzzkill.
    I think it's pretty good, but it definitely is slow at times. I'd be more excited for VIOLENT BLOOD BATH.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I was disappointed after years of hype, but I did see it via that crappy DVD that Mya released (under the LEGEND OF BLOOD CASTLE title). I'd be interested in seeing it again in pristine quality.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I think it's pretty good, but it definitely is slow at times. I'd be more excited for VIOLENT BLOOD BATH.
    I'd be more excited for COTO DE CAZA.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

I watched this on the old Midnight Video DVD-R. I enjoyed it a lot. Tons of atmosphere and high production values. Ewa Aulin is great; and it would be delightful if they spelled her name correctly on the cover.

Jst remembered that I can get rid of my DVD-R of this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjeon View Post
    I watched this on the old Midnight Video DVD-R. I enjoyed it a lot. Tons of atmosphere and high production values. Ewa Aulin is great; and it would be delightful if they spelled her name correctly on the cover.
    I'm surprised you could see it! I had the Midnight Video VHS of this and it was so many generations old that I couldn't see a thing and shut it off after about 10 minutes. That was about 22 years ago and I've never happened across another copy. Still curious to see it.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

The quartet of thoughtful thriller/horror films by Grau mentioned in this thread account for why he's one of my favorite Spanish genre directors, but LEGEND OF BLOOD CASTLE is my very favorite of the group. I was fascinated by the hybrid nature of the movie, as it explores the Bathory mythos against a backdrop that features some of the original elements of vampire lore, which I first read about decades ago in a great book by Paul Barber called VAMPIRES, BURIAL, AND DEATH.

Definitely a recommended offering.
    VHS will never die!

Another classic (I think it's a classic, maybe?) being rescued. Just need to do a proper release of Grau's criminally underrated Code of the Hunt. There's never been a legit release of that anywhere in the world.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.