Thread: Roadgames (1981)

Roadgames (1981)

Indicator are releasing Richard Franklin's 1981 Ozploitation classic in December:

(Richard Franklin, 1981)
    Release date: 14 December 2020
    Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Stacy Keach (Fat City) and Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween) star in Richard Franklin’s 1981 Australian slasher classic, inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window. Keach plays Quid, an American trucker who, with the help of Curtis’s hitchhiker, tracks down a serial killer active on the long, empty roads of southern Australia. This deluxe, extras-laden edition boasts an all-new 2020 restoration from a 4K scan of the duplicate negative, produced exclusively for this release.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

New 2020 restoration from a 4K scan of the duplicate negative, produced exclusively for this release
    Original mono audio
    Audio commentary with director Richard Franklin (2003)
    Audio commentary with cinematographer Vincent Monton, costume designer Aphrodite Kondos, production secretary Helen Watts, and film historian Mark Hartley (2019)
    Audio commentary with writers and programmers Anna Bogutskaya and Olivia Howe (2020)
    Kangaroo Hitchcock (2003): archival documentary on the making of Roadgames featuring interviews with Franklin and actor Stacy Keach
    Australian Long Haul (2019): actor Stacy Keach discusses the role of Pat Quid and working in Australia
    Audio interview with Stacy Keach (2016): further thoughts on the film by the actor
    Audio interview with Richard Franklin (2001): the director recalls his early career as a filmmaker and the production of Roadgames
    Archival Interview with Richard Franklin (1981): documentary profile of the director
    Audio interview with Grant Page (2016): an in-depth discussion with the actor and stunt co-ordinator
    ‘Not Quite Hollywood’ Interview Excerpts (2008): over an hour of outtakes from Hartley’s acclaimed documentary on Australian cinema, featuring Franklin, Page, actors Keach and Jamie Lee Curtis, screenwriter Everett De Roche, and assistant director Tom Burstall
    Roadgames: A Lecture (1980): archival recording of Franklin, co-producer Barbi Taylor and composer Brian May discussing the making of the film
    Neil Sinyard on ‘Roadgames’ (2020): newly filmed appreciation by the British film historian
    …And His Ghost May Be Heard (1973): rare short film by Franklin, marking his first collaboration with Roadgames cinematographer Monton
    Script Read (1980): audio recording of a pre-production read-through, featuring Franklin and actors Keach and Marion Edward
    Music demos: excerpts from the Brian May score in demo form
    Original theatrical trailer
    Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
    New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
    Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by Lee Gambin, extensive archival interviews with Richard Franklin, Stacy Keach and Jamie Lee Curtis, Franklin’s 1980 Alfred Hitchcock obituary, an overview of contemporary critical responses, Mark Hartley on …And His Ghost May Be Heard, and film credits
    Limited edition exclusive double-sided poster
    UK premiere on Blu-ray
    Limited edition of 3,000 copies

Last edited by fatboyslim142; 09-17-2020 at 09:55 AM.

I'm super-happy to see Indicator putting this out, although I'm not sure it's really a good candidate for the big box special edition treatment.

Not that it doesn't 'deserve it' or whatever, but it's one of those films that's always struck me more as a "heck, that little movie was pretty damn great" type random discovery than as a revered, canonical classic, if you get my drift...

Of course I'll buy it anyway though, because I love it, and apparently I have both money to burn and hours to delve into a load of gratuitous special features. Good times!

Hmmm. I like this enough to buy it on Blu-ray. I never bought the Australian BD release so this will fill a hole in my collection - though I'll wait to see how expensive it is.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Hmmm. I like this enough to buy it on Blu-ray. I never bought the Australian BD release so this will fill a hole in my collection - though I'll wait to see how expensive it is.
    My thoughts exactly.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    It is £18.99 (direct from Indicator). It, along with the rest of the December announcements, are not listed on Amazon yet so I don't know about the price on there but it will probably be the same as Indicator's site.

I still haven't watched the Anchor Bay DVD that I bought in 2003. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for, really.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    I still haven't watched the Anchor Bay DVD that I bought in 2003. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for, really.
    Don't watch it. Just double dip on the blu.

Quote Originally Posted by The Silly Swede View Post
    Don't watch it. Just double dip on the blu.
    And then that'll sit on my shelf until 2037.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

And then that'll sit on my shelf until 2037.
    Exactly!

Roadgames is similar to Rear Window but set on a moving vehicle.