Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umbrella Releasing Monkey: The Complete Series

Umbrella Releasing Monkey: The Complete Series

Coming in October.

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/tv/45...ries&results=2

Name:  EilmqLkU4AAYHBb.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  147.3 KB

Prince Chaos ruled the worlds before Monkey. Monkey was born of time, of Heaven and earth, sun and Moon, out of a stone egg. He was irrepressible!

The place was like ancient china and the time might have been a thousand years ago. They fought - and they thought - then, as now.

Holy Tripitaka prayed. One disciple, Sandy, a fish-spirit. Pigsy, expelled fromHeaven for greed, is a spirit of a pig. He is changing. Everything changes. There is a horse, once a dragon, now evolving into human form.

Monkey, Horse, Sandy, Pigsy and Tripitaka are all upon a journey as long as life.

EXTRA FEATURES

Contains all 39 Original BBC Dubbing Scripts to download
    BONUS: DISCLAIMER: You will need a computer to access this feature

Name:  monkey--tv-series-1978---blu-ray.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  46.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I get the impression that this is not the cult classic in North America that it should be? If you haven't seen it this series is huge amounts of fun. Super production values, good action, fun effects but most importantly lots of character and humor. Made a great one two punch with Doctor Who on after school tv when I was a kid. Plus it's just wierd. Take the character of Tripitaka: a Japanese woman playing the part of a Chinese monk (so male) dubbed by an English woman imitating the voice of a Chinese boy. And Buddha's a lady too. Massive recommendation from me.

One caveat here though. There were 52 episodes originally produced. Only 39 were broadcast in Engglish speaking countries. I believe some releases since have included the missing 13 episodes. No mention from Umbrella as to whether their release does as well.
    EDIT whoops I see it says all 52 episodes front and centre on the case.
    Last edited by Dom D; 09-23-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

The opening credits give a taste of what your in for.

Last edited by Dom D; 09-23-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Saturday morning TV staple for me when I was a young 'un. (At least, I think it was broadcast on Saturday mornings.) Heaps of fun.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Does this have the original Japanese audio with subtitles or is this the dubbed version? The UK release is ONLY the pointless dubbed version.

Specs on the link I provided state English language.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Specs on the link I provided state English language.
    Wish companies would provide the ORIGINAL language with subs where necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
    Wish companies would provide the ORIGINAL language with subs where necessary.
    For a lot of kids’ shows that originated in non English markets, the localizers didn’t license the audio tracks, as it was usually cheaper that way, and they were just going to dub it. And that’s not even getting into editorial changes and dropping, merging or re-ordering episodes, all of which happened commonly with imported shows.

The only way you might see this in Chinese would be if there’s a release of it for the Hong Kong market.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    The only way you might see this in Chinese would be if there’s a release of it for the Hong Kong market.
    Surely no one wants to see this with a Chinese dub?

The original versions have been out on DVD in Japan since 2006, but no subs of course and no BD in sight.

I can't imagine watching this in Japanese with subtitles. Love the dub.