Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 31 Days of Horror 2020 edition

Swamp Of The Lost Monsters-The better title is Swamp Of Lost Souls. Or Lost Viewers, take your pick. Another Gaston Santos western meets horror movie. The Living Coffin is much better than this south of the border crap fest. This is from the pink tinted AIP television release. Full frame and looks to be a 5th gen dupe. Even if it were pristine, it would still drive you out of the house and down the street before the 15 minute mark. Since it is part western, I can truly say this sucks dick on horseback at full gallop. Avoid at all cost.

Spiritism-Sticking with Mexican horror, this is better than most critics bark about. After a couple finally pays off their mortgage, their dipstick son has them refinance so he can be a crop duster, with disastrous results. We're treated with visits from the dead, the Devil dropping off an equivalent of the Monkey's Paw and everyone learns in the end not to fuck around with evil spirits. Granted, there are quite a few dull spots that drag this down, but there are other scenes that lift it back up. From a dupe of the old BCI dvd.

October 2020

1-The Raven (35) 6
    2-The Cosmic Monsters 4
    3-Grave Robbers (88) 4
    4-Cemetery Of Terror 5
    5-Shivers 7.5
    6-Clawed:The Legend of Sasquatch ack!
    7-Werewolf Shadow 7
    8-The Bat People 5
    9-Atom Age Vampire 2
    10-Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD 2
    11-the Hunt (2020) 6.5
    12-Frailty 8
    13-Fog Island 4.5
    14-Mark of The Vampire 7.5
    15-The Mask(61) 6
    16-Tales From The Hood III ack!
    17-Santo Vs The Vampire Women 8.5
    18-Tales Of Halloween 6.5
    19-Swamp Of The Lost Monsters ack!
    20-Spiritism 5
    "Freddie's on the corner now. If you wanna be a junkie wow!"

Name:  Blinded%u00252Bby%u00252Bthe%u00252BBlood%u00252Bdvd.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  54.3 KB

TITLE-Blinded by the Blood
    SOURCE-Sub Rosa Studios double feature DVD

Near the beginning of this year I found out that a local pawn shop was trying to clear out a huge overstock of DVDs and Blu rays. Normally they were wanting 2 bucks a DVD or 13 for 20 bucks. Blu Rays were 4 bucks each or 5 for 20. But now that they had/have way way too many it is 1 for dvd,or 25 for 20 bucks. Blus are 3 bucks or 8 for 20. Armed with this knowledge I started browsing the 3 shelfs and two tables full of home media formats.

The above pictured DVD was almost skipped over.I saw the back cover first.
    Name:  WIN_20200828_19_24_41_Pro%u00252B%u002525282%u00252529.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  68.7 KB
    And as you can see,sorry for the reflections in the pic,the back cover makes this look like one of the hundreds of double feature horror dvds out there. You know the ones that have two battered VHS rips of Public Domain Horror movies. Movies that pretty much every hardcore horror fan already owns 4 or 6 times on DVD. So I just put the DVD back on the shelf. Then something in my head said "Wait Alone in a Haunted House isn't a PD title I have heard of" I grabbed the dvd read the back and after seeing that Blinded by the Blood was a documentary on the making of a low budget horror film I placed this double feature DVD into the ever growing "buy" pile.

Since I was young and got my first issue of Starlog and Fangoria on the same day,THANK YOU UNCLE MILTON!. I have loved learning about how movies are made. From the filming process to how the FX work is done. Which means I will watch/buy pretty much any documentary on the production of a horror film.
    Name:  BBTB1b.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  72.9 KB
    It wasn't until I got home and was dividing my media haul into piles,one pile is for me another is to be resold another is for friends etc,I saw the name Tim Ritter and figured out what I had found was a Sub Rosa Studios release.Sub Rosa Studios has been around for a long time now. They release lots of DTV horror and cult movies.And Killing Spree is by one of the best known directors Sub Rosa Studios has worked with,Tim Ritter.Blinded by the Blood is a making of Killing Spree that Sub Rosa Studios started selling after Killing Spree had become a cult classic of the Shot on Video sub genre. The above picture is the VHS release cover of Blinded by the Blood.

Sure the VHS cover says Hosted by Tim Ritter but we all see who has the biggest pic on the cover. The lovely and uber talented Debbie Rochon. By the time Blinded by the Blood was made Debbie was one of the best known B Movie stars and one of the few Scream Queens of the era who was a true Scream Queen. And not some lady who did one horror movie and then used the Scream Queen tag to bilk lonely geeks at cons out of money.

So the film opens with Debbie walking around in a rural area telling us how we are about to see footage shot during the filming of Killing Spree. And explaining that even with almost no money Tim Ritter managed to make a horror film that became a cult hit world wide.

Blinded by the Blood is a lot like the various making of "insert film title" documentaries Troma has made. Cause Blinded by the Blood doesn't cut out stuff that makes Tim look bad. They don't try to cover up that mistakes happened. Who ever was in charge of editing the final cut of Blinded by the Blood did a good job of just showing us what happened during the filming of Killing Spree. Really in the entire film the only part that is a bit biased is the introduction by Debbie Rochon. And hell she was getting paid by Tim to come talk about his film,and I have heard that Debbie and Tim are close friends. So of course her intro will be a bit biased.

Tim Ritter went on to make quite a few movies. Most of them low budget horror/gore movies. Some of the better known ones are from the Truth or Dare series. I have seen Truth or Dare 1 and 3.

Name:  Killing-Spree-1987-movie-Tim-Ritter-4.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  14.2 KB
    I was pretty impressed by how good the gore FX looked in Killing Spree. Seeing what little they had to work with,money and equipment wise,it is amazing how good the effects look.

Blinded by Blood gets a B.

CodyLL covered Hammer's Dracula has risen from the grave

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Banks View Post
    Tales From The Hood III-A little girl is picked up by a child killer and tells him 4 stories on the way to the scene of her upcoming murder. Unlike the first movie in this franchise, there is zero fun in any of the stories or the wraparound. The second story, dealing with a racist, while trying to fit into the current mood of the country, had no surprises and I figured out the wheres and whys of it before the tale was three minutes old. While I thought the second entry in the series was bad, this outstinks it.
    Did it also come to a screeching halt more than once to allow a character to deliver a minutes-long lecture, as the second one did?
    VHS will never die!

Terror Creatures From Beyond The Grave- fair to middling Babs Steele vehicle about another dead husband coming back from the grave with plague victims to boot. This was the B&W version that is on the Nightmare Castle blu ray as an extra.

Teenage Frankenstein-"Teenage wasteland, it's only teenage wasteland. They're all wasted!" I want to rent a house with an alligator in the basement. Great for giving pests like door to door salesman a big thrill before exiting our dimension. The scene where Whit Frankenstein locks the door on his intruding fiancee and the monster walked right out of a better movie, Curse Of Frankenstein. Dumb fun.dvd-r rip from the vhs.

October 2020

1-The Raven (35) 6
    2-The Cosmic Monsters 4
    3-Grave Robbers (88) 4
    4-Cemetery Of Terror 5
    5-Shivers 7.5
    7-Werewolf Shadow 7
    8-The Bat People 5
    9-Atom Age Vampire 2
    11-the Hunt (2020) 6.5
    12-Frailty 8
    13-Fog Island 4.5
    15-The Mask(61) 6
    20-Spiritism 5
    21-Terror Creatures From Beyond The Grave 5
    22-Teenage Frankenstein 6.5

TITLE-Child's Play 2019
    SOURCE-DVD/Hulu

So last year the Child's Play remake came out. I heard it was decent but hadn't seen it. Then earlier this year I saw the DVD was fairly cheap so grabbed a copy. And like happens often with me happened. I will buy a film and then it just sits on the shelf for months/years. This time it was a little different. The day I got the dvd I put it in and watched the first 30 minutes. Got a phone call and had to leave.Skip ahead and I see the film is now on Hulu. Realizing I didn't remember anything I saw the first time I started the film at the beginning.

Set in the modern day this remake takes the bare bones of the original film and updates it to modern times. This time Chucky is a Buddi doll. That interacts with all the electronics Kalson produces. I'm guessing Kalson is just a renamed Apple,mostly cause their products appear to be over priced junk.

Aubry Plaza plays the mother. She has just moved and is trying all she can to help her son,Andy has a hearing loss. Which really never plays much into the film oddly. One day at her job Aubry has a customer return a Buddi doll cause it has the wrong hair color. When she learns the doll will be shipped back to the warehouse and destroyed she blackmails her boss into letting her have it.

At first Andy isn't that into his new toy. But fairly quick Chucky becomes Andy's best friend. But what Andy and his mom don't know is that Chucky had all his safety protocals removed at the factory by a worker. So once Andy meets some new friends ,who show him Texas Chainsaw Massacre II,Chucky starts to recreate what he saw in TCM II.

Chucky kills the family cat,cause it has scratched Andy. Then once Chucky realizes that Aubry's boyfriend is a douchebag,well Chucky follows the boyfriend home and kills him. Then delivers the boyfriend's head to Andy. Andy and his new friends try to dispose of the head but through a bunch of odd twists the head ends up wrapped up like a birthday present. And ends up in the apartment of an elderly lady who's son is a police detective.

So as you can see this film isn't just a straight up copy of the original. Besides being updated to reflect modern tech,it also ups the gore levels. And really ups them. I don't remember any of the Child's Play films having as much gore as this film.

Plaza is really good as the mom. The kid playing Andy isn't bad at all. But the star of the film is Mark Hamil as Chucky's voice.

What sucks is the ending of the film sets up a sequel. But this film didn't do that great at the box office. So I doubt we get a sequel.

Child's Play 2019 gets a B-.

CodyLL covers Frankenstein must be Destroyed

Name:  51dAVwO8dBL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  45.9 KB

TITLE-Silent Rage
    SOURCE-Mill Creek Blu Ray

I thought I had seen all of Chuck Norris's classic 80s films. So when I found the above pictured Blu Ray for cheap I grabbed it. Turns out I was mixing Silent Rage and The Hero and Terror up. A bit about this Blu Ray. First off I love the VHS looking cover. And how the VHS tape part of the cover even has that old be kind rewind sticker on it. The Blu looks and sounds great. Sure there is no extras but I never expect extras when it is a Mill Creek release.
    Name:  silentrage701.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  254.0 KB
    Chuck looking like a prototype for Walker Texas Ranger
    Back in 1982,right at the peak of the slasher craze,director Michael Miller thought hey Chuck Norris is popular and so are slashers. Let's combined the two and we will have a big hit.And from what I can dig up this movie was a pretty big hit. Making a bit over 10 million at the box office.

Set in a tiny Texas town,Chuck Norris is the local Sheriff,Dan Stevens,with his chubby and kinda dumb deputy Charlie,played by character actor Stephen Furst. They get called to a home where a Vietnam vet has killed two people. After Charlie almost shoots the Sheriff they managed to handcuff the vet,John Kirby played by Brian Libby. But he managed to snap the handcuffs and kicks the back door off of the cop car he is put into.Kirby grabs a shotgun which causes the cops on the scene to gun him down.
    Name:  Silentrage1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  84.5 KB
    Half dead Kirby is taken to a near by hospital,where secret experiments are going on. Kirby gets injected with a serum that basically makes him into Wolverine. IE he heals extremely fast and it also increases his strength.Kirby escapes from the hospital and goes around killing people who he thinks have wronged him.
    Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  24.6 KB
    Stephen Furst doing his best Deniro in Taxi Driver impersonation
    While this is going on we get to see Chuck take on a biker gang that is trying to move into the sleepy quiet small town. There is a great scene where after Chuck has told the gang to leave he spots their bikes at a local bar. Chuck and his deputy go into the bar to see that the gang has taken it over and are holding the bar tender hostage. One of the biker ladies shows her breasts to the deputy. Which causes the deputy to start drooling. Chuck sends the deputy out to the cop truck to call for back up. But being the fuck up he is the deputy gets out there and calls the dispatch and spends 10 minutes describing the lady's breasts instead of calling for back up. While that is going on Chuck is inside fighting off the bikers. Since this was made years before Walker Texas Ranger that means Chuck does more than just throw spinning back kicks. It isn't until Chuck throws a biker through the bars front window that the deputy remembers is calling for back up.

Name:  MV5BZWU3NzhmYjItYTE3Zi00OTcwLWE0ZmUtZGI3ZDE4YjU4YjYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE%u00252540._V1_SX.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  148.0 KB
    Chuck getting ready to fuck!
    Seems Chuck is dating the sister of one of the doctors that did the experiment on Kirby. So now Kirby is after her. But before Kirby can find her we get a extremely long love scene between Chuck and this lady. Now I doubt anyone has ever claimed Chuck Norris was a great actor. His acting in the love scene is really bad. Like so bad you would think it was Ed Wood directing the scene. Plus did we really need an almost 10 minute long Chuck Norris love scene?

By the final act we have all the cast back at the hospital. Chuck,the deputy and Chuck's lady are there and don't know Kirby is there. The deputy gets attack by Kirby. He tries to kill Kirby by injecting him with acid. But it doesn't work. Kirby puts the deputy into a bearhug and bearhugs him to death. Sadly this is the only scene in the film that just doesn't work. It is suppose to be suspensful and all that but it is so badly shot and acted I was laughing out loud.

Norris sees this and shoots Kirby and knocks him out a window.But this isn't enough to kill Kirby. Norris and his lady try to escape in a vehicle. But Kirby hangs onto the car and breaks thru the back window. Causing the car to crash and explodes. But Chuck and the lady jump out in the nick of time. Kirby is set on fire by the explosion but jumps into a nearby lake to put the fire out.
    Name:  Chuck-norris-horror.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  57.1 KB
    The final showdown between John Kirby and Chuck Norris
    And now we get what we have been waiting for.. Chuck vs Kirby in hand to hand combat. Kirby is tough but not tough enough to withstand multiple roundhouse kicks. They stun Kirby long enough for Chuck to throw him down a well. Chuck and his lady are sure no one could survive the fall down the deep deep well. Thinking it is all over they head off. But as yall know this is a slasher. And right at the end we see that Kirby has survived. Setting up a sequel that sadly never happened.

Looking online this is one of the best rated Chuck Norris films from the 80s. And I can see why. Sure it is a bit cheesy. But it managed to take the best parts of action movies and slasher films and combo them into a really fun film. One other tidbit I found was that lots of fans have given Chuck negative feedback over the love scene,which is why Norris avoided doing love scenes after this film. And that is a good thing. Silent Rage was remade in 2009 and called Indestructible.

While I was the perfect age in the early 80s to be a Chuck Norris fan I wasn't back then. Part of it was I had already seen all the Bruce Lee films that I could find. And had been introduced to Jackie Chan. So to me Chuck;s movie couldn't compare to those two. It wasn't until about 15 years ago that I got into the 80s Chuck Norris films. For me this is one of his best. Hell with a bit of editing it could be his best film to me,mostly I would cut down the length of the love scene and trim a few other scenes a tiny bit.

So if you are a slasher fan and have never seen Silent Rage go get this Blu Ray. It is usually found for around 8 bucks and it more than worth that. Silent Rage feels like a horror themed episode of Walker Texas Ranger. But with a bigger budget and much better acting. Plus you don't have Chuck spamming the spinning back kick like he did on Walker. Also you don't have the overtly preachy tone that Walker had.

Silent Rage gets a B+.

CodyLL covers Taste the Blood of Dracula

Mystery Of The Wax Museum- TCM showed the restored print of this film and it looks terrific. Lionel Atwill gives what I think the finest performance of his career. With that being said, MOTWM is not even in my top 100 horror films of all time. Can't explain it, the film is just massively okay to me. OTOH, I can't wait for restoration of Doctor X.

Count Dracula (1970)-Franco's take on Dracula isn't bad....but it aint all that great either. Not enough Lee, too much zoom and I would daresay too much Kinski. The cast is great. Another massively okay film. Dark Sky dvd.
    October 2020

1-The Raven (35) 6
    2-The Cosmic Monsters 4
    3-Grave Robbers (88) 4
    4-Cemetery Of Terror 5
    5-Shivers 7.5
    7-Werewolf Shadow 7
    8-The Bat People 5
    9-Atom Age Vampire 2
    11-the Hunt (2020) 6.5
    12-Frailty 8
    13-Fog Island 4.5
    15-The Mask(61) 6
    20-Spiritism 5
    21-Terror Creatures From Beyond The Grave 5
    22-Teenage Frankenstein 6.5
    23-Mystery Of The Wax Museum 6.5
    24-Count Dracula (1970) 5

TITLE-My Babysitter is a Vampire
    SOURCE-Netflix

Most years for 31 days of horror I try to find and watch a film that is kid friendly. Like last year I watched the Zombie/Summer Camp film Bunks. So this year I was looking for something similar. I was looking up the cast of Riverdale on IMDB and saw that Vanessa Morgan(Topaz on Riverdale) was in a Disney Channel/Teletoon film called My Babysitter is a Vampire.

Ethan is a geeky high school student. One who's parents don't trust him. So the parents hire out Erica(Vanessa Morgan)

to come babysit Ethan and his little sister while they are gone. Erica is a huge fan of Dusk,this universes version of Twilight. Erica ends up going to a party instead of babysitting. But another girl shows up to babysit.A girl that once Ethan touches her he has a vision. He also notices this girl,Sarah,doesn't have a reflection in the mirror!Yep Sarah is a VAMPIRE!!!

Seems the party that Erica went to is full of vampires. She gets bit and becomes one. She ends up biting a bunch of people,including Ethan. And we learn that until you drink human blood you aren't a full vampire. Which means you can be cured.

For a tween/teen horror film this wasn't horrible. Matter of fact Vanessa Morgan and the actor that plays Ethan's best friend,who I think was in Bunks

,are really good. The FX work isn't bad. And I am guessing this movie was a pretty big hit. Cause while this film hit TV in October 2010 by Feb 2011 a tv show was airing.

So if you got some kids around and want to watch a horror film that won't cause them to have nightmares...well this isn't a bad choice. I saw that the tv show is also on Netflix. Might check it out.

My Babysitter is a Vampire gets a C+.

Codyll Covers The Horror of Frankenstein

I watched INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS (1978) last night, and fell asleep/passed out in the last 20 minutes...woke up with Donald Sutherland shrieking and pointing at me haha. After I was done being freaked out, I was giggling.

Newt, digging the reviews even if I don't comment on all of them.