Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 31 Days of Horror 2020 edition

Name:  WIN_20201009_15_09_04_Pro%u00252B%u002525283%u00252529.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  48.8 KB
    TITLE-Shivers
    SOURCE-Vestron Video Blu Ray

Finally after teh DVD of Shivers being out of print for 20 years we got another and better home video release. The print looks and sounds great. It is loaded with extras,only had a chance to check out the director's commentary. And this was fairly cheap. I found my copy at Walmart for 13 bucks.

Shivers is David Cronenberg's first feature length film. Made with some funding from the Canadian governement the film was one of the first government funded films to make a profit.

Set in an apartment complex. A slug like virus gets out and anyone infected with it becomes a sex starved maniac. And being a Cronenberg film you know the body horror elements are in the forefront.

The FX work is good for the time and budget of the film. Sure some of the blood has that "hey is that red paint" look. But hell that is a common thing in 70s horror.

The acting is what makes this film stand out. Besides the lead male,played by Paul Hampton,the rest of the leads are all soooo good. You got the horror legend Barbara Steele in a great role. The scene with her in the bath tub being attacked by the virus stands out as thrilling to watch while at the same time horrifying.
    Name:  image-w1280.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  109.4 KB
    Before watching this blu ray I hadn't seen Shivers in at least 20 years. While I do like Cronenberg's films this is one of his I just never got into.

Shivers gets a B.

CodyLL covers Hammer's Blood from the Mummy's Tomb!

Tuesday:

The Invisible Ghost (1941)

Bela Lugosi's first film for Monogram I believe, this one delivers... very little of anything, to be honest. Frankly, the script is so rambling, poorly constructed and lacking in interest I'm amazed it got the go-ahead to enter production. I mean, I know poverty row studios were cheap, but surely they also had a vested interest putting things people wanted to see on the screen. Like an "invisible ghost", for instance?

No dice here on that score, needless to say. I kept waiting for the big reveal of whatever the story's horror twist was going to be - is Lugosi secretly a mad scientist? Is he being telepathically controlled by his wife for some malign purpose? Is he being possessed by the spirit of a dead ancestor or something? - but it never came.

So basically it seems, Bela is just a nice chap whose wife left him to run off with another man. Unbeknownst to him however, the eloping lovers suffered a car crash whilst making their getaway, which, somehow, leaves the wife wandering around the grounds of Lugosi's house in a kind of mindless / brain-damaged fashion. Whenever Bela sees her through the window, he goes into a hynotised fugue state and goes off to strangle the nearest servant. No attempt is ever made to explain why this happens. That's yr lot, plot-wise.

Meanwhile, the cops entirely fail to link this long series of strangulation murders to Lugosi, despite the fact that he's standing right next to them after each killing with no alibi and exactly the right shaped hands. The heroine (Lugosi's daughter) responds to such events as her fiancee being executed for a crime he didn't commit by putting a spirited "oh!" in front of her lines, but otherwise expresses no emotion on the matter.

The film's music score consists of a load of random needle-drops which run incessantly from beginning to end, with no attempt made whatsoever to match them to the on-screen events, making it seem as if someone just left the radio on in the background whilst the movie was shooting. (This causes confusion during a scene in which a murder victim actually DOES leave the radio on.)

Not even much fun here for Lugosi completists to be honest, given that he just flatly delivers his lines when in "normal" mode, then waggles his fingers around as someone shines a torch under his chin when in "mad strangler" mode. Not exactly one of his great screen roles.

The only thing I've got in the 'plus' column is that director Joseph H. Lewis pulls off some bold and unconventional shots here and there, anticipating the style he'd go on to develop on his later, better-known films.

That aside, a total waste of everyone's time, although I still seem to have felt the need to write quite a lot about it. Ah well. You live and learn, and at 63 minutes it didn't kill me.
    Last edited by BW Haggar; 10-28-2020 at 08:42 AM.

TITLE-The New Mutants
    SOURCE-Theatrical screening

I wondered if I should include this in this years 31 Days of Horror. But looking around seems the studio marketed it as a horror film. And it has major horror elements. So I'm including it.

The back history of this film is long. Filmed back in summer/fall of 2017,with a planned April 2018 release. Then reshoots were suppose to happen,they didn't. And Fox got bought up by Disney. New Mutants missed that April 2018 release date. Got rescheduled and missed that date. Finally back at the end of August this year it got a release.I kept thinking "Ok this will get dropped on say Disney+ or Hulu. The film has too much bad press for them to release it in a theater." Seems it was in the original contract that the film had to get a theatrical release. So it was released at a time when most theaters were shut down. But as of this week it is still playing a few near by theaters.Now I didn't expect the theater to be packed when we went. But we were the only people in the theater. Only other time that has happened to me is when I went to see Wired during it's short theatrical run.

Ok so the film.. it appears to be set after all the X-men films but 10 to 20 years before Logan. The film starts off with something attacked when Danni Moonstar lives. Her father rushes her out to the woods and she hides in an old tree. When she wakes up she is at a hospital. One where 4 other teen mutants are living. Each of them of course has powers. And they can't leave the hospital grounds.

At first you think the doctor treating them is on their side. But you quickly learn that she is using them for some evil corp,which I think is ran by the never seen in the films Mr Sinister.

Seems the demon bear that attacked Danni's homeplace in the start of the film is created by her mind. Her mutant powers are at Omega levels. And after the five team up to defeat the evil doctor they gotta defeat the demon bear.

Yea I know some of yall are asking "So who are the other mutants?"Well you got Roberto aka Sunspot. He can store up solar energy and use that to increase his strength. Sam aka Cannonball,who can fly but hasn't figured out how to land yet. Rahne AKA Wolfsbane,she can turn into a wolf and a werewolf like creature. And finally Illyana aka Magik,who can open portals to limbo. And can summon a magical sword and armor.

The people they cast as the teen mutants aren't bad.

Maisie Williams is really good as Rahne.

And Anya Taylor Joy does a good job as Illyana,even if her Russian accent seems to come and go. I have never seen the other three in anything else. While the actors playing Roberto and Sam are decent ,Blu Hunt is great as Danni Moonstar.
    Now there is a major drawback to this film. The reshoots never happened. I am betting what they wanted to shoot was more stuff explaining little things. Little things that unless you read say the first 4 years of the New Mutants vol 1 comic ...well this film will be a bit confusing. Like how Illyana's powers are never really that well explained. In the comic you learn that she was captured at a young age and grew up in Limbo. And the sword and armor she can summon are the Soulsword and use to belong to the demon Belasco. And wow did they not explain Danni's powers that well. She can take someone's greatest fear and make it come to life. Which is where most of the scares come from in this film.

So yea if you aren't someone that read a bunch of the New Mutants comic I'm betting this film will be very confusing. For those that have it is a nice film version of the classic Demon Bear storyline.

The New Mutants gets a B-.

CodyLL covers Dracula AD 1972

Madhouse (1974)-1st saw this at the DI in 1976 on a double bill with Don't Open The Window. Well, we sure fogged up the windows and didn't see much of Madhouse. Price, Cushing and Quarry in a below average movie that could have been a lot better. TCM viewing.

Doctor X-If I have to tell you the plot, what are you doing at this board? Just love the color uses and the last 15 minutes are really wild. 'Synthetic Flesh!!". Dvd-r

Secret Of The Blue Room- An old dark house mystery that I watch about 4 times a year. Wasn't happy that it never made it into the Shout Factory sets, but will make do with the MOD version.

Santo Vs The Zombies-Unstoppable zombies terrorize Mexico until Santo comes in and pants them. Yes, they have to have their belts taken off. All sorts of subtext when our masked hero is on his knees ripping the belts off the zombies. The masked villain should be figured out with in the first ten minutes. A dvd-r of an ancient SWV offering, before NAFTA sent them out of the country.

October 2020

1-The Raven (35) 6
    2-The Cosmic Monsters 4
    3-Grave Robbers (88) 4
    4-Cemetery Of Terror 5
    5-Shivers 7.5
    6-Clawed:The Legend of Sasquatch ack!
    7-Werewolf Shadow 7
    8-The Bat People 5
    9-Atom Age Vampire 2
    10-Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD 2
    11-the Hunt (2020) 6.5
    12-Frailty 8
    13-Fog Island 4.5
    14-Mark of The Vampire 7.5
    15-The Mask(61) 6
    16-Tales From The Hood III ack!
    17-Santo Vs The Vampire Women 8.5
    18-Tales Of Halloween 6.5
    19-Swamp Of The Lost Monsters ack!
    20-Spiritism 5
    21-Terror Creatures From Beyond The Grave 5
    22-Teenage Frankenstein 6.5
    23-Mystery Of The Wax Museum 6.5
    24-Count Dracula (1970) 5
    25-Castle Of Blood 10
    26-The Dorm That Dripped Blood 4.5
    27-Madhouse (74) 4
    28-Doctor X 7.5
    29-Secret Of The Blue Room 7
    30-Santo Vs The Zombies 4
    "Freddie's on the corner now. If you wanna be a junkie wow!"

Wednesday:

Daughter of Darkness (1990)

Nothing to do with Harry Kumel or Delphine Seyrig, this is a made-for-TV vampire movie shot in Romania, directed by the late Stuart Gordon. In view of the info in the previous sentence, I'd always assumed it must naturally be a Full Moon/Charles Band joint (some kind of spin off from their 'Sub-Species' films perhaps?), but when I finally sat down to watch it last night, it was immediately clear that we're looking at a different kettle of fish entirely here.

None of the usual suspects turned up on the opening credits, and the tone is very different from yr usual Empire/Full Moon house style - slicker, with somewhat higher production values, but also more bland and conventional, as if attempting to appeal to a mainstream TV audience rather than rabid horror fans.

The plot sees a young American girl (Mia Sara) arriving in Bucharest in search of her long lost father, who turns out to be none other than Anthony Perkins. Along the way, she tangles with a wide variety of sinister and/or seductive characters, has ominous bad dreams connected to the sinister dragon pendant she inherited from her Dad, and so on and so forth.

It's all fairly diverting, but unfortunately the vampire stuff is pretty hackneyed, much of the dialogue is fist-swallowingly terrible and the performances (with the exception of Perkins and a couple of the Romanian actors) are piss poor -- which is especially disappointing, given that Gordon's theatrical background and good eye for casting usually helped his films to excel in terms of acting and character stuff.

The obvious requirement to stick to PG-level horror content also proves a stone drag; you can almost feel the director straining at the leash, wishing he could unleash some of the nastiness of his better-known work, but he was clearly under orders to keep things as mild as possible here.

On the other hand though, the film is still very well directed in visual terms, briskly paced and extremely well photographed, making excellent use of the Romanian locations. In fact, where many horror films try to hide the fact that they were made in Eastern Europe for budgetary reasons, this one makes a real virtue out of being shot under the nose of the Ceaușescu regime, including a sub-plot about the heroine being pursued by the secret police.

As such, there's a lot of atmospheric footage of the city streets, going to great lengths to convey the idea of the people living under a cloud of fear and paranoia, watched on all sides by gun-toting soldiers. I was even reminded of Zulawski's use of East Berlin in 'Possession' at times (a comparison further suggested by the fact that the film's main bad guy is a dead ringer for a young Sam Neill), but... there the similarities end, unfortunately.

Overall, I wouldn't say this is worth tracking down unless you're a Stuart Gordon completist (or an Anthony Perkins completist?), but it was sufficiently decent for me to continue claiming that I've never seen a Gordon film I didn't enjoy.

Name:  idle%u00252Bhands%u00252Bdvd.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  76.2 KB

TITLE-Idle Hands
    SOURCE-Columbia Pictures DVD

Back in the spring of 99 a kinda now forgotten horror/comedy came out. The studio was thinking,well we got Devon Sawa(remember back when he was a name actor?),Seth Green and Jessica Alba.This movie is gonna be huge.Then the movie flopped at the box office,not even making 5 million in ticket sales. But became a kinda cult hit on home video and it's many airings on Cable tv.

I skipped this in the theater. Mostly cause I have never thought Jessica Alba could act. She is a nice looking lady. But has so little acting talent. It was 2000 when a friend rented Idle Hands. I watched it laughed a few times. And really until last year when I heard that Scream Factory was putting it out on Blu Ray that I thought about the film again. Skip ahead to early this summer. Was at the only remaining thrift store in town. And there was a pile of never opened DVDs. Figured "Hey I kinda remember Idle Hands being ok. It's worth dropping 50 cents for."

Devon Sawa is our lead. He is a slacker and with his two friends spends most of his time getting high. Devon's hand get possessed and it is up to him,his friends and Jessica Alba to stop it.

The FX work isn't bad. The acting is decent,well beside Alba. The film looks and sounds decent. But it never rises about being just average as fuck. This feels like a film that with either a better script and/or some better actors it would have been huge. But since it didnt have those it is a minor cult hit.

Idle Hands is worth seeing on say Netflix/Amazon Prime video or Hulu. Or if you find it cheap. But I wouldn't pay more than 5 bucks for this on Blu or a buck for the DVD.

Idle Hands gets a C-.

COdy Covers Satanic Rites of Dracual

Santo and The Vengeance Of The Vampire Women-Sadly, not a sequel to the 1962 release which was a far, far better film. A mad doctor releases a vampire princess who was staked 200 years ago by an ancestor of ol' droopy drawers himself, Santo. She wants revenge, the mad doctor wants flesh for the critter he has in the basement and I just want this damned thing to end. I'm the only one who gets what they want (and deserve). I like Santo movies, but too many too close together is like a bad burrito.
    October 2020

1-The Raven (35) 6
    2-The Cosmic Monsters 4
    3-Grave Robbers (88) 4
    4-Cemetery Of Terror 5
    5-Shivers 7.5
    7-Werewolf Shadow 7
    8-The Bat People 5
    9-Atom Age Vampire 2
    11-the Hunt (2020) 6.5
    12-Frailty 8
    13-Fog Island 4.5
    15-The Mask(61) 6
    20-Spiritism 5
    25-Castle Of Blood 10
    27-Madhouse (74) 4
    28-Doctor X 7.5
    31-Santo Vengeance Of The Vampire Women 3

Mandy-Ya' know, if this was a flick about Nic Cage running amok with a chainsaw at a Barry Manilow concert, I could dig it. Cage going wild eyed standing on Manilow's piano and carving it up. But no. We get this trippy, spacey piece of drivel about Satanic looking bikers, a Jesus Freak cult leader who goes gonzo over Mandy, Cage's wife (not the song). Mandy is kidnapped and killed by the cult and Cage goes OTT seeking revenge against the bikers, the cult and its stoned leader. It is more painful than the song. A lawn cigar dipped in LSD. Netflix dvd rental.

Night Of The Living Dead (1968)-What can be said about NOTLD that hasn't already been said? I think it should be rated in the top 100 films of all time. The gut punch ending of the 60's, a hair more depressing than The Great Silence. Criterion Blu Ray.

October 2020

1-The Raven (35) 6
    2-The Cosmic Monsters 4
    3-Grave Robbers (88) 4
    4-Cemetery Of Terror 5
    5-Shivers 7.5
    7-Werewolf Shadow 7
    8-The Bat People 5
    9-Atom Age Vampire 2
    11-the Hunt (2020) 6.5
    12-Frailty 8
    13-Fog Island 4.5
    15-The Mask(61) 6
    20-Spiritism 5
    25-Castle Of Blood 10
    27-Madhouse (74) 4
    28-Doctor X 7.5
    31-Santo Vengeance Of The Vampire Women 3
    32-Mandy ack!
    33-Night Of The Living Dead (1968) 10

I kinda fell flat on my ass this year, but in my defence I was playing horror video games, including finally finishing Resident Evil VII and starting up Alien: Isolation again. Tonight I watched Wax Mask, and enjoyed it. Funny story, but I first tried to watch this movie on my wedding night, but the picture quality on the channel showing it was awful. Fast forward 20 years, and I grabbed a download of it to watch, and it also didn’t work! But I finally got my hands on it and watched it and liked it, even with the last few minutes not making the slightest bit of sense!

Name:  A_Good_Marriage.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  25.9 KB

TITLE-Stephen King's A Good Marriage
    SOURCE-Some file I found on a flash drive I lost 5 years ago

Yea I'm guessing the file I watched was a DVD rip. But wow first off Full Dark,No Stars is my favorite Stephen King Novellea/Short Story collection. And over the past 10 years 3 of the four Novelleas have been made into films. I covered Big Driver and 1922 in the past. So time to complete this trilogy. What is it with Stephen King novellea collections only have 3 of their 4 stories made into films? Same thing happened with Different Seasons.

Joan Allen is our lead and she discovers a hidden compartment in her husbands garage/workshop. In this compartment is a pile of IDs. IDs of women who had died in the past years by a uncaught serial killer. Anthony Lapaglia is her husband and part of his job is him being gone for days at a time. Joan starts checking the dates of when her husband was gone and the various unsolved deaths. They match up! She now is sure that her husband of 25 years is a monster.

Based on the BTK Killer,Dennis Rader,this is a pretty well done serial killer film. The cast isn't big names but Joan and Anthony are great as the leads. This will be the third time I have watched the movie. And really need to track down a DVD or Blu Ray of it.

Out of the so far three films based on stuff from Full Dark,No Stars A Good Marriage is in second place. 1922 is amazing and easily gets 1st. Good Driver was hindered by being made for Lifetime. So is the worst,but still worth seeing.

If you haven't read Full Dark,No Stars and/or seen any of the three films I mentioned...GO GET THE BOOK AND SEE THE THREE FILMS!! I see people griping often about how there has been no good horror in years. And here are 3 damn good horror films that no one mentions.

A Good Marriage gets a B+.

CodyLL covers Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell