Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 31 Days of Horror 2020 edition

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    THE CAR is one of my favorites from the 70s. There's a real sense of menace from the car (and it looks quite impressive as well). I find it blackly humorous when the horn honks before it runs down the couple on bicycles. As you mentioned, the desert scenery is beautiful, and it's photographed spectacularly. The trailer that ran on television when it came out scared the hell out of me, our den faced out the driveway and I used to imagine the car coming through the window when I was watching tv.
    Saw this one on original release and thought that car was cool as (wait for it), Hell. I need to check out the blu ray.
    "Freddie's on the corner now. If you wanna be a junkie wow!"

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    THE CAR is one of my favorites from the 70s. There's a real sense of menace from the car (and it looks quite impressive as well). I find it blackly humorous when the horn honks before it runs down the couple on bicycles. As you mentioned, the desert scenery is beautiful, and it's photographed spectacularly. The trailer that ran on television when it came out scared the hell out of me, our den faced out the driveway and I used to imagine the car coming through the window when I was watching tv.
    I'm a fan, too. It has just the right amount of campiness and I was laughing and cheering a lot when I first watched it. Kathleen Lloyd was pretty hot in the '70s as well, so that's a bonus.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    TITLE-Firestarter
    SOURCE-Scream Factory Blu Ray

This was the first Stephen King film I saw before I read the novel. And sure there is some major differences between the two,the one that stands out the most to me is how the novel ends compared to the book. They are both well done pieces of fiction.

Charley and her dad are on the run. Years ago Charley's parents had taken part in a drug trial. And both of them ended up developing powers out of this. The mom has TK and the dad can "push" people to do things. Now that Charley is showing that she has powers The Shop. The Shop is a secretive group in the CIA that does the wetworks missions.

After running for a long time they think they are safe. They find a cabin by a lake. Then the Shop shows up. They capture both of them and take them to a secret place the Shop runs.

While they are there the Shop seperates them. And slowly is driving a wedge between Charley and her father. But then the Dad manages to get a message to Charley. Once she learns that a janitor,who was an undercover shop agent,has been lying to her...Well all hell breaks loose.

Now I have seen this movie so many times. Even got a chance to see a 35mm print at a revival screening over a decade ago. And this blu from Scream Factory looks very close to the 35mm print I saw.

The Blu is loaded with extras. All of which are worth watching. Really my only complaint about this Blu is I hate the new artwork used for the cover. That is what I posted at the top. But Scream Factory is smart,the front cover is reversable and the other side is the cover that I remember from the VHS and DVD releases.

Firestarter gets a B-.

CodyLL covers Hammer's Frankenstein created Woman
    Scott is downright creepy in this one, the way he interacts with Charley. This was one of the first King films I ever saw.

Great to see so much love for 'The Car'!

No movies tonight because I'm way too busy (and too tired), but Sunday's Classic Horror Theatre presentation was I Walked With a Zombie (1943), and wow, what can you say - in purely visual terms, it's the best of the Lewton movies by a country mile. Probably one of the most intensely dream-like American horror films ever made in fact, pushing its way into a zone of liminal, somnambulant weirdness more usually associated with Maya Deren, Cocteau, Epstein's 'House of Usher', etc.

The gothic-derived story by contrast is a bit of an old warhorse, but the use of more-or-less authentic voodoo terminology gives it a real kick, and Siodmak throws in some wonderfully evocative bits of dialogue here and there. (Did Werner Herzog have this film rattling around in the back of his mind when he came up with his famous "the birds are screaming" bit? Tom Conway's speech on the boat at the start of the picture is remarkably similar.)

I think that the downloaded print of the film I watched on this occasion came from the Japanese blu-ray, and whilst it looked a hell of a lot better than any version I've seen in the past (excepting perhaps a screening at the BFI a few years back), it still seemed to be cobbled together from a bunch of old theatrical prints, complete with variable light levels, frame-jumps, print damage etc..... made me long for a perfect, Criterion-style knock-out restoration, cos by god it deserves it.

Overdosed on football this weekend and watched zero movies. After the game tonight, I put the mask on and watched...

The Mask(61)-Canadian thriller that mixes 2-D with amazing 3-D scenes. A psychiatrist "inherits" a mask that takes its wearer down the rabbit hole to expose their deepest evil. The mask is somewhat addictive and usually brings its wearers to a nasty end. This time around, the 3-D really popped off the screen. Could be the result of watching it on a better tv. This was the Kino dvd, not the BD.

October 2020

1-The Raven (35) 6
    2-The Cosmic Monsters 4
    3-Grave Robbers (88) 4
    4-Cemetery Of Terror 5
    5-Shivers 7.5
    6-Clawed:The Legend of Sasquatch ack!
    7-Werewolf Shadow 7
    8-The Bat People 5
    9-Atom Age Vampire 2
    10-Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD 2
    11-the Hunt (2020) 6.5