Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guillermo Del Toro's The Shape Of Water

Guillermo Del Toro's The Shape Of Water

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5580390/

"From master story teller, Guillermo del Toro, comes THE SHAPE OF WATER - an other-worldly fairy tale, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1963. In the hidden high-security government laboratory where she works, lonely Elisa (Sally Hawkins) is trapped in a life of silence and isolation. Elisa’s life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda (Octavia Spencer) discover a secret classified experiment. Rounding out the cast are Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Michael Stuhlbarg and Doug Jones."

Trailer!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Looks interesting but I can't help but think "Who is the audience for this film?" Because it's not horror fans. Fans of romance and rom-com's are out. General audience maybe?
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Looks interesting but I can't help but think "Who is the audience for this film?" Because it's not horror fans. Fans of romance and rom-com's are out. General audience maybe?
    I kinda felt the same way while watching Crimson Peak. But it did well enough I guess.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I kinda felt the same way while watching Crimson Peak. But it did well enough I guess.
    That one was marketed as a straight horror film when it was actually more of a gothic romance picture.

Crimson Peak morphed into something different about halfway through. I feel this film might do something similar. I avoided Crimson Peak when it was first available, then tried watching it once and stopped 15 minutes into it. I tried again recently, and once they got to the "Peak" location, I understood that it was more horror than it lead on to being initially, which made me happy. He does try to get you emotionally invested before terrible things happen to the characters.

Del Toro's films are all starting to look and feel the same. PAN'S LABYRINTH is his masterpiece, but most of his other films are aging about as well as Tim Burton's, meaning, not too well. I didn't find myself emotionally invested in anyone in CRIMSON PEAK, and the story was predictable and fairly dull.

He needs to do that Lovecraft adaptation already.

That's what he should do alright. Agreed.

So, there is apparently debate over whether this is a Hellboy tie-in. Doesn't seem to be marketed as such but given the fact that we have an egg-eating fishman who looks an awful lot like Abe Sapien in a government lab I can understand why people are assuming that. On the other side you've got people seemingly angry over the comparison.

If it isn't an Abe Sapien movie I don't get why Del Toro would make something that veers so close to that franchise. It's like if the director of the last Fantastic 4 movie made a new film called The Shape of Stone and had a rock-man falling in love with a blind woman, but it wasn't Ben Grimm/The Thing.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Would love to see that. Who knows, if this makes enough cash he might get the chance. I doubt it though, unless it becomes a sleeper hit.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.