Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Danny Boyle's Sex Pistols limited series "Pistol"

  1. #11
    Senior Member Mark Tolch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    So this is actors portraying the band? That rarely, if ever works for me. I'll watch a documentary about a band I don't even like but a fictionalized portrayal (even if it closely follows the truth) just doesn't interest me.
    One of my favourite things is to watch documentaries about bands that I don't like, I don't know why. That one on Rush, Beyond The Lighted Stage, was fantastic. And I HATE that band.

  2. #12
    Pallid Hands Andrew Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    This Godforsaken Outpost
    Posts
    5,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    One of my favourite things is to watch documentaries about bands that I don't like, I don't know why. That one on Rush, Beyond The Lighted Stage, was fantastic. And I HATE that band.
    If it's a well done documentary with a compelling story I'll watch no matter what band it is. That one on The Eagles is a good example, I don't like them much at all but it was really well done. I watched a ton of those VH1 Behind The Music ones for bands I genuinely hate but still dug the docs.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Mark Tolch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,882
    The Eagles one is a great example, 3 hours and I was riveted, despite not liking their music. I'm hit or miss on Tom Petty, but the doc that Peter Bogdanovich did on him was amazing, and that was 4 hours.

  4. #14
    Pallid Hands Andrew Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    This Godforsaken Outpost
    Posts
    5,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    The Eagles one is a great example, 3 hours and I was riveted, despite not liking their music. I'm hit or miss on Tom Petty, but the doc that Peter Bogdanovich did on him was amazing, and that was 4 hours.
    I haven't seen that Petty doc, I'll have to take a couple evenings and watch it soon. I'm hit or miss on him as well but I'd be interested in seeing how Bogdanovich handles it.

    Mark, if you ever want to see a documentary on the guy who invented the country/rock sound that The Eagles later cashed in on, check out GRAM PARSONS FALLEN ANGEL. Really fascinating story of a guy whose life was riddled with tragedy.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

  5. #15
    I would definitely recommend folks to Julien Temple's FILTH & THE FURY (2000). Temple also contributed to THE GREAT ROCK AND ROLL SWINDLE (1980) which is pretty crazy but has the benefit of being made at the time - believe it or not, it actually started out as a Russ Meyer film! And, the Doc D.O.A. (1980) has some good material
    Last edited by JoeS; 03-04-2021 at 04:32 PM.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Mark Tolch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,882
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    I would definitely recommend folks to Julien Temple's FILTH & THE FURY (2000). Temple also contributed to THE GREAT ROCK AND ROLL SWINDLE (1980) which is pretty crazy but has the benefit of being made at the time - believe it or not, it actually started out as a Russ Meyer film! And, the Doc D.O.A. (1980) has some good material
    I like all of those films for sure. I think that Filth and the Fury is kinda the definitive documentary on the Pistols, and it's nice to see Temple re-use some of the animation sequences from Swindle. Lydon commented on the Russ Meyer aspect in one of his books saying that he didn't like Meyer because he was a dirty old pervert who just wanted to film the band with a bunch of topless women on the beach.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I like all of those films for sure. I think that Filth and the Fury is kinda the definitive documentary on the Pistols, and it's nice to see Temple re-use some of the animation sequences from Swindle. Lydon commented on the Russ Meyer aspect in one of his books saying that he didn't like Meyer because he was a dirty old pervert who just wanted to film the band with a bunch of topless women on the beach.
    Those scenes would have made it more enjoyable, at least! Apparently, Marianne Faithful turned down the project because of Meyer's rep. And, yeah, in his own snotty way, Johnny Rotten can be a bit of a prudish killjoy

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •