Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweet Tooth Coming To Netflix

Sweet Tooth Coming To Netflix

Trailer!

Plenty of info here.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/sweet-to...y-begins-here/

I like a lot of Jeff Lemiere's stuff but have never read this stuff.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I've read a good bit of it via trades. It was excellent, quite offbeat but really riveting.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Lemiere is arguably the hardest working individual in comics and has been at it for a long time. While I can't say I've read more than a sliver of his output I know that his comics work is well regarded and he has a strong fanbase.

That's why it's incredibly sad to me that this adaptation - which as a TV show looks good, to be honest - will be considered his greatest success and that kind of success only comes when you shuck the content out of the form, ie you take away the drawing. Every time a comic book is optioned for film/TV the central mind set is "we love everything about this...except for the fact that it's a comic book. That part is the yucky bit. Take that away, or mix it with something more palatable and you may have something people might want to consume."

Comics creators and cartoonists are the rhubarb growers of entertainment. Relatively few people want what they make in the raw and need it sweetened up and stuffed into a buttery crust in order to make it yummy. No other artform is as beholden to another artform for legitimacy, not even prose, but that's the nature of the business and people are piling on to give Jeff plenty of congrats and love on social media today because he's now "made it." His rhubarb got put into a strawberry pie which is the pinnacle in comics.

Oh, well. I like Will Forte.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
    Lemiere is arguably the hardest working individual in comics and has been at it for a long time. While I can't say I've read more than a sliver of his output I know that his comics work is well regarded and he has a strong fanbase.

That's why it's incredibly sad to me that this adaptation - which as a TV show looks good, to be honest - will be considered his greatest success and that kind of success only comes when you shuck the content out of the form, ie you take away the drawing. Every time a comic book is optioned for film/TV the central mind set is "we love everything about this...except for the fact that it's a comic book. That part is the yucky bit. Take that away, or mix it with something more palatable and you may have something people might want to consume."

Comics creators and cartoonists are the rhubarb growers of entertainment. Relatively few people want what they make in the raw and need it sweetened up and stuffed into a buttery crust in order to make it yummy. No other artform is as beholden to another artform for legitimacy, not even prose, but that's the nature of the business and people are piling on to give Jeff plenty of congrats and love on social media today because he's now "made it." His rhubarb got put into a strawberry pie which is the pinnacle in comics.

Oh, well. I like Will Forte.
    Sadly, you're 100% correct on this.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

That's why none of these adaptations appeal to me. They take out all the style. All the heart. It all becomes very matter of fact and whatever made it special and gave it it's voice is gone. I struggle to think of one that surpasses it's source material, or even equals it. None of them stand out as special within the medium of film or television, it's just the latest product.

Lemire's a great example because his BLOODSHOT: REBORN was terrific with very moody artwork and very different than the earlier guns and action Bloodshot from the '90s, or even from the early issues of the 2012 reboot. So what happens when they made the movie last year? They make it a guns and blood action film. Very plain looking.

I was happy to read recently that Ed Brubaker is focusing entirely on comics after dabbling in writing for Hollywood. He said the time and energy that went into it didn't give him what he wants out of the creative process. But comics do. There's a reason why Jodorowsky puts out more comics than films. I can't imagine he feels like he's settling.

A while ago there was talk of SCALPED! being adapted to television, by the CW of all places. I don't think even HBO could do SCALPED! justice. They can never capture the grit and grime and energy of RM Guera's art. Why even bother? It's like adapting Vigil and Quinn's FAUST. Adapting something like that is a fruitless effort.

At the end of the day I'm happy all these guys are getting rich. It's just too bad all these things look rather ho-hum to me. I'm probably not being fair since I avoid most of this stuff and obviously things like HBO's WATCHMEN has all kinds of critical acclaim.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I was happy to read recently that Ed Brubaker is focusing entirely on comics after dabbling in writing for Hollywood. He said the time and energy that went into it didn't give him what he wants out of the creative process. But comics do.
    Brubaker has been pretty vocal lately about his displeasure with Disney/Marvel using so many of his ideas without him getting paid in any way. He did say he got some cash for his on screen cameo in Falcon & Winter Soldier but going back to my fruit pie analogy that's like someone asking to take apples off your tree, making a prizewinning pie with them that wins them $500 at the county fair then handing you a dollar and offering to take a picture of you holding the trophy.

I've felt like Brubaker's non-superhero comics try too hard to be movies on paper and that if you were to make something like Criminal:Coward into a film it would play as a Tarantino knock-off. When Brubaker applied that cinematic sensibility to his Marvel and DC work I really dug it and it makes total sense that the filmmakers would mine from those books for their movies and shows. His runs on Gotham Central, Daredevil and Captain America were some of my favorite mainstream books at the time and his and Mark Millar's stuff (which I like less) presaged what's happened in the MCU, but he was work-for-hire and it was well known at that time that what you do for Marvel belongs to them and they will do with it as they please. I can't feel too bad for him because it wasn't like he was duped.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

That's a good analogy.

All those books sold well and continue to sell well. I'm not sure what the royalties on the books look like but I imagine he was paid well. I think doing all that stuff gave him and Sean the cache to work on creator owned stuff full time. It's just such a shame Marvel and DC's movie and tv wings never knew what they had with him at the time.

I was thrilled when his writing credit appeared on WESTWORLD but it felt like any other episode. I didn't watch the series he did with Refn, I can't stand Miles Teller. I love his crime books but I know what you mean regarding his superhero stuff. SLEEPER is still one of my favorite things he's done, I also wish he did more ICOGNITO. I reread his entire Captain America and Winter Soldier runs about once a year (Gotham Central, too) and before that I never really liked Captain America.

This thread reminded me I need a copy of Faust Love of the Damned on DVD. Sure it wasn't great. But I'm slowly trying to get at least 1 copy of any non-Big 2 comic that had a tv show or Movie.

David Fincher was attached to directing BLACK HOLE for a while. I cringe every time I think about. The DOG BOY shorts on Liquid TV were pretty great though. I wish more works were stylized and inventive like that.

Charles Burns Black Hole I assume? Fuck that leave it as a comic. Dog Boy was great.