Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comicbook Talk, Reviews, etc.

Love the Invaders, and it's good that they're putting this in print. People are asking silly money for The Complete Collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
    Love the Invaders, and it's good that they're putting this in print. People are asking silly money for The Complete Collections.
    I love The Invaders as well. Bought some issues when they came out...wish I still had those. Roy Thomas, classic Marvel heroes and WWII...what's not to like?
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Bought some issues when they came out...wish I still had those.
    You and me both. As a kid i had most of the issues from #11-31.

Read the first volume of THE AUTHORITY by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch. I know I already talked about Ellis' STORMWATCH but I felt a need to highlight the second to last arc which is effectively the beginning of The Authority. And since I'm also talking about Bryan Hitch looking at more of his work never hurts.

The preceding page says The End and for all intent it is the end of StormWatch. These last two arcs show them in over the head and ineffective and slow to respond to new threats out of their scope and ability. It's cool seeing all the Wildstorm characters present and taking part in StormWatch. It really flipped me on my head for a second when I saw Gen13 and DV8 characters suddenly everywhere, I thought I missed something.

The art by Bryan Hitch is really fantastic. Tom Raney was great at the darker shadier goings on in StormWatch but Hitch's work fully announces this epic larger than life change in direction and it's really awesome and fun to take in. Michael Ryan (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), does some fill in art like the awesome image of scarred alternate universe Jackson King below.

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Thumbs down to comic book talk.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Jess Franco should have made some comics. They be all fucked up and homemade.

Why don't girls like StormWatch comics?

THE AUTHORITY (Vol. 1 #1-12 and Planetary/The Authority: Ruling the World)
    Written by Warren Ellis, Art by Bryan Hitch

What's left to say about this series that hasn't already been said? It's reputation precedes it and I'm surely the last person to find my way to it but better late than never! This takes the ideas and concepts that were building up in STORMWATCH and cranks everything up to eleven. This is big bombastic high-concept sci-fi and every single page smacks you in the face as does the story itself. I can't help but feel this is what the Image founders wanted to create but didn't have the ability. Happily the industry and genre eventually got there through fits and stops.

After having read it I get why some people were saying stop here. It has a perfect ending that I'd hate to swap that out for cynical superhero stories about fame. The characters in The Authority aren't cynical as much as they are realists. All the images I've seen of the Millar books makes it look like a parody of itself.

Anyways, I still have plenty left to read, including PLANETARY. I almost skipped the Planetary/Authority issue in the trade, figuring I should maybe read PLANETARY first. But I'm glad I read it when I did because it seeds the subplot about Jenny and ultimately leads into the final arc in that respect. Man, these were fantastic comics!

Excuse the glare, it's a thick glossy trade and I was sitting outside.

For the rest of my Wildstorm journey I'm almost done reading WILDCATS Vol. 2 and I have both trades of 3.0 on the way! The 3.0 YEAR TWO trade was a pain to find at a reasonable price and I had two orders for it cancelled on me. Fingers crossed the one I ordered showed up. It shipped already but I had to buy it used from the UK so it's going to take a while to get here. WILDCATS Vol. 2 has absolutely blown me away so far! I'll post about it later. I can't wait to finish it and read 3.0. I also picked up a prestige format LADYTRON one-shot written by Joe Casey from around the same time that didn't seem to be collected anywhere.

This era of Wildstorm and the books specifically by Warren Ellis and Joe Casey are better than nuValiant, IMO. Especially if you include POINT BLANK and SLEEPER. They're darker and more adult. Angela Peace in IMPERIUM and all that business reminds me A LOT of Void in the Halo building. Obviously across the board Wildstorm was less consistent than Valiant but when Wildstorm is on it's pretty great! Too bad that when they both crossed over early in their inception the results were complete garbage. They both eventually turned out gold it just took a long way to get there. In both cases the characters were fine, they just needed different leadership and creators with a vision.

WILDCATS VOL. 2 Street Smart HC
    Art by Travis Charest, Bryan Hitch and some other guy. Written by Scott Lobdell and Joe Casey

I liked this more than I thought I would. Worth the price of admission for the issue in Venice illustrated by Travis Charest. The plot and change in direction and tone is is great but the dialogue is terrible. I'm guessing Casey did the plots then took over after this? Lobdell has always been a stinker to me so thank god the art is good. Too bad about the fill in bits.

Bryan Hitch does a wonderful action oriented issue with Zealot removed from the rest of the team. It's not Charest but it's slick and and has Hitch's usual cinematic vibe.

I grabbed the hardcover because it was the cheapest option and I'm glad I did! It has a nice clothbound cover and has a Travis Charest sketchbook and cover gallery in the back. Too bad the rest of the series wasn't hardcovered. I've already read the next two books and they blew me away and deserve the prestige format more than this. Still though, fun book with really nice production value and gives context and direction for what comes next.

Nice, i really like the looks of this. Weird that the HC is cheaper than the TPB.

I LOVE the BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA in comics