Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob Liefeld Artistry (Or Artist? Try)

Rob Liefeld Artistry (Or Artist? Try)

I know there are many fans of the art of Rob Liefeld, so the fine folks at Progressive Boink have put together a new collection of some of his greatest published work.
    Enjoy...I know I did.
    http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012...efeld-drawings

That's pretty awesome.

I remember when Liefeld mania was in full swing. I bought a few of the New Mutants comics he'd done, thought Cable was kinda cool, then forgot about him until Youngblood and the whole Image launch, at which point I sold those New Mutants issues for some pretty good money and probably used that money for something marginally less dumb like Spawn comics or something.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Even though I don't read much in the way of superhero books these days it still bums me out to see DC let him write and draw a cool character like Hawkman.

His stuff for Marvel when they rebooted the big guns was godawful.

He's doing Deathstroke too. I always liked Deathstroke but this will probably make me not like Deathstroke very much at all.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I stopped reading superhero comics around the time Liefeld started to get big and Image launched, I was too young to exactly nail down why but it was the poor writing and slick pseudo-macho artwork that was turning me off. I came back a few years later because of things like Ennis' run on Punisher Max and Brubaker's run on Daredevil but never really got back into superhero books wholesale, a lot of overdrawing and sub-Moore-and-Miller 'darkness' has dragged down a number of the Marvel comics.

Yeah, Brubaker is pretty good. I do read his Winter Soldier and Cap stuff currently, they're more espionage based than outright superhero stuff, particularly WS. The only other Marvel book I read is Waid's Daredevil, it's fun and he's lightened up the character quite a bit. The art is usually rad too, sort of retro.

Edited to add - there's one other Marvel book I buy, the very good Nick Fury Marvel Max series Garth Ennis is doing, Fury - My War Gone By.
    Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 06-19-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Didn't know that Ennis was doing Fury, cool, I love the classic Steranko Fury comics and considering what he did with a B-list character like The Punisher Ennis and Fury is very promising.

The series is only up to number 3 so you should be able to find the issues pretty easy. The Max line is perfect for Ennis, he can let his hair down so to speak. It takes place in French Indochina in the mid-50s, there's plenty of smoking and booze on hand...the art is pretty cool too.

Liefeld's Bloodstrike is apparantly being made into a movie.

Rad.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/31...medium=twitter

I bet it's gonna be FUCKING AWESOME.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Somehow I want to see a Bloodstrike movie directed by the guy who did Samurai Cop. Too bad that guy is dead.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.