Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comicbook Talk, Reviews, etc.

That art looks kinda Joe Kubert-esque, I dig it.

The last 2 nights I re-read the first 10 issues of Deadworld, the original run. It's funny reading this in a post-Walking Dead world. Anyway, the story is ok, King Zombie is a neat character and Vince Locke's art is really strong. It's interesting to see it start off as fairly cartoony and then get darker and weirder as the series progresses.

I've always had a soft spot for this series and only need 3 more issues to complete the original Arrow/Caliber run.

I also read the Charlton Bullseye that Spaghetti Monkey hipped me to with the Toth Question story in it, and that was just as cool as you'd imagine.

Last week a friend gifted me a complete run of Hellblazer 1-60 and a bunch of the original Moon Knight series, so I look forward to digging into that pile of musty old paper in the coming days.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Last week a friend gifted me a complete run of Hellblazer 1-60 and a bunch of the original Moon Knight series, so I look forward to digging into that pile of musty old paper in the coming days.
    That's awesome! What a great gift!

I only ever had a small handful of DEADWORLD but always wondered how the whole thing would read.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    That's awesome! What a great gift!

I only ever had a small handful of DEADWORLD but always wondered how the whole thing would read.
    It's very uneven but I was really into it as a kid. It's been kind of a lifelong challenge to complete the run, haha - and I'm getting close!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The Long Haul looks really good, Scott. I always liked Barreto's art.

Nice gift of those Hellblazers, Ian. I still have the first 40 individual issues. That was a terrific series, particularly the first 25 or so.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    That's cool. I only had a handful of Moon Knights survive the years, i bought the omni so i could catch up on the rest.

Name:  Marvel Preview #21 resize.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  70.0 KBName:  Marvel Spotlight #28 resize.jpg
Size:  100.0 KBName:  Marvel Spotlight #29 resize.jpg
Size:  104.5 KBName:  Moon Knight #9 resize.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  108.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    The Long Haul looks really good, Scott. I always liked Barreto's art.
    Me too, I wish he did more. He passed away in 2011.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: REBORN
    Written by Ed Brubaker, Art by Bryan Hitch and Butch Guice

*SPOILERS*
    Cap's dead! Or is he?! Captain America is trapped in a time loop, put there by the bullet fired by XXXXXXX.Meanwhile all heck is breaking loose and the bad guys are getting the upper hand! Bucky, Sharon, Sam and Natasha, heck the whole dang universe is scrambling to save Steve, and with him, the soul of America!

When I first read Brubaker's Captain America run I skipped this series for some odd reason, along with the second Cap series by Bru and the Super Soldier stuff, like Secret Avengers. I was told it was goofy and full of McGuffins.I've since read all that and recently did a re-read starting with REBORN. It is a bit more superheroey than what came before. We are dropped into the middle of Norman Osborn's reign as President of the US and other goofy anomalies like the Dark Avengers. Normally I'd hate all this intrusion into what at this point has been a consistent atmosphere but Brubaker makes it all work. It all feels grounded and matter of fact and full of character.

The brief time with Steve as the Super-Soldier Commander Rogers is a lot of fun and I would have been happy to get more stories with Steve in this kind of Batman mode. Hanging out at the docks, beating up crooks and rappelling down skyscrapers. I like how Steve takes the younger Ant-Man under his wing and he later turns up in Secret Avengers carrying the thread. During this time they continue to mine Steve's past from WWII to great effect and the weight of saving the world takes it's toll. Brubaker's SECRET AVENGERS run is fun superhero comics. The art in all the arcs is great, especially Aja and Lark in The Secret Life of Max Fury, and Deodato in the opening arc. I wish I had more to say about it, it's not very deep but it is really awesome comics!

This re-read also included the second Captain America Brubaker title with art by Steve McNiven, Alan Davis, Patrick Zircher and Scott Eaton. It's very good until the last chapter. I especially love the short 3 issue arc with art by Patrick Zircher about D-Man becoming the new Scourge. A highlight in this short run and I'd say a highlight in the whole opus which makes the fourth and final arc so much of a letdown. It all comes together way too fast and neat. Codename: Bravo and Queen Hydra are shunted off page before I can remember what even happened. I've already forgotten. A small misstep in what is some of the best comics ever in my opinion.

This run wrecked me on mainstream super hero comics. They just don't measure up after this. I'd love to hear other people's recommendation for similar runs, not just in art or story but the whole package. Modern, grounded, fresh. It's an effortless joy to read. It just makes everything else look bush league in comparison.

I really like Dale Eaglesham's art! He did the Justice Society of America series that Geoff Johns wrote. Started in 2007 and ran until '11 or so. Alex Ross did the covers. It's probably a bit different from Cap but it's kind of the series that wrecked me in a similar way on mainstream superhero stuff. It's just as much about family and legacy as it is fights and action. Very flawed, human characters and it packs an emotional punch at times that's very rarely duplicated in anything else.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I really like Dale Eaglesham's art! He did the Justice Society of America series that Geoff Johns wrote. Started in 2007 and ran until '11 or so. Alex Ross did the covers. It's probably a bit different from Cap but it's kind of the series that wrecked me in a similar way on mainstream superhero stuff. It's just as much about family and legacy as it is fights and action. Very flawed, human characters and it packs an emotional punch at times that's very rarely duplicated in anything else.
    I really like Eaglesham's art too. I'll have to check out that JSA book!