Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comicbook Talk, Reviews, etc.

I got that Stormwatch run in TPBs cheap at a con. Read it and damn made me wish I had been reading it as it came out. That Wildcats/Aliens TPB is getting harder to find.

Hahah, so there is some Image stuff worth tracking down. Good to know. I have my runs of Grell's Shaman's Tears and Choi/Lee's Deathblows that i want to revisit at some point. Everything else is buried.

Name:  Longbow Hunters #2 resize.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  80.6 KB

So i finally got around to The Longbow Hunters and it definitely lived up to the hype. I think i even slightly prefer it to Miller's Dark Knight. Great stuff. Now i'm gonna go back and read some of the earlier stuff, Kirby's short GA stories and O'Neil/Adam's GL/GA run before digging into the Grell trades. But this does have me mightily looking forward to more Grell. Also picked up the GA Year One trade for like $3.

I picked up a few issues of American Vampire 1976 yesterday. Glad to see Rafael Albuquerque is still doing the art. Also got a few Brubaker Cap issues that I needed.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    I got that Stormwatch run in TPBs cheap at a con. Read it and damn made me wish I had been reading it as it came out. That Wildcats/Aliens TPB is getting harder to find.
    I was able to get the one-shot for 10 bucks. I didn't see the trade that collects it for less than 40 bucks! That it's such a crummy issue makes it even more frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
    Hahah, so there is some Image stuff worth tracking down. Good to know. I have my runs of Grell's Shaman's Tears and Choi/Lee's Deathblows that i want to revisit at some point. Everything else is buried.
    There's a wealth of current stuff that is fantastic. Of the early books this era of Wildstorm 1999-2003 is a goldmine. Previous to this Alan Moore's run on WILDCATS and SUPREME are both excellent. Of course personal preference plays a part. But that era of Wildstorm had a huge influence on everything being put out today. DEATHBLOW by Tim Sale is good too. I'm currently working my way through Warren Ellis' runs on AUTHORITY and PLANETARY as well and sci-fi superhero comics don't get any better than this IMO.
    Last edited by Scott; 07-17-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

From the early image stuff I enjoyed

1963-Too bad it will never get an ending or a TPB
    The Maxx
    Stormwatch-Even before Ellis took over it was worth reading
    Supreme-Yea before Moore it isn't amazing,but it was a fun read.

Western Tuesdays continues with a visit to our friendly neighbors up North....

TRENT - THE SUNLESS COUNTRY
    By Rodolphe & LEO

Another Trent book arrived and once again I was surprised by the story. It's always honest and touching and very natural about life as a lonely Mountie. In this particular book Trent, while being stationed in the eternal night of the far north, finds an igloo with two dead natives and their newborn child who is still very much alive. Trent then decides to make the long hard trek to the closest native community otherwise the child may die. At times playing like the film THE THREE GODFATHERS Trent must learn how to take care of the baby while battling the elements and other unseen forces.

The book itself is Cinebook's cheap, thin, easily damaged paperback with cardstock covers. But still worth it for the story.

Not at all what I expected but wonderfully told and extremely well done. Now the long wait until the next volume, I'm guessing this time next year. Two books to go. I'll be sad when it's over.

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Last night I read a few books.

Rorschach #10 - I'm really enjoying this series, I like Tom King's writing, that said I'm confused as hell at this point. I'll guy the last 2 issues to finish it and then reread it as I think there are great things going on here that are going over my head due to the time between issues insuring that important plot points leak out of my increasingly feeble brain.

Dark Mansion Of Forbidden Love #1 - Always been fascinated by the cover for this one, and I grabbed a cheap reader copy at the con last week. It's old school gothic romance, I'd have preferred a strong horror element but overall an enjoyable read and the art from Tony DiZuniga is excellent.

I also re-read a few Wrightson House Of Mystery stories, because I always enjoy revisiting them.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Last night I read Verotika Returns #4, found it in a dollar bin last week. Anyway, it was dumb but it was interesting to see part of the 'Mystery Girl' storyline that was used in the movie.

Although the story is 'to be continued' it seems that issue #4, which came out in 2017, was the last issue. Nothing since then. Thankfully we have the movie to know how it ends, haha.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'm reading Too Cool To Be Forgotten, which is the first comic I've read in ages. It's quite good so far.

Marvel is releasing an Invaders Omnibus next year. Very cool! Three covers to choose from.

Name:  INVOMNIV1HC_COV1_VARA_col-580x852.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  151.4 KB

Written by ROY THOMAS, DON GLUT & MORE
    Penciled by FRANK ROBBINS, JIM MOONEY, ALAN KUPPERBERG, DON HECK, SAL BUSCEMA, JOHN BUSCEMA, DAVE HOOVER, LEE WEEKS & MORE
    Covers by FRANK ROBBINS, JACK KIRBY & GIL KANE

Long before Captain America led the Avengers, he joined the original Human Torch, Namor the Sub-Mariner and more as the mightiest heroes of World War II — the Invaders! With young adventurers Bucky and Toro by their side, they charged into overseas action, taking on Nazi threats such as Baron Blood, Master Man, Warrior Woman and the vilest of them all — the Red Skull! Along the way, the Invaders made new allies including Union Jack, Spitfire and the Liberty Legion. And witness the heroes of two eras collide, as the Invaders battle alongside the Avengers and the Fantastic Four! Collecting GIANT-SIZE INVADERS #1-2, INVADERS (1975) #1-41 and ANNUAL #1, MARVEL PREMIERE #29-30, AVENGERS (1963) #71, INVADERS (1993) #1-4, WHAT IF? (1977) #4, FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL #11, MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE ANNUAL #1, MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE (1974) #20 and material from CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #22.

1152 PGS./Rated T …$125.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93475-0
    Trim size: 7-1/4 x 10-7/8

Source
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.