Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comicbook Talk, Reviews, etc.

As an aside from the awesome sound effects talk, anyone here ever read Irredeemable? It's written by Mark Waid with art from Peter Krause. It's basically about a Superman level hero who goes berserk and starts killing former teammates. It goes to some really dark places and has plenty of plot twists. Highly recommend this, I'd call it apocalyptic horror, quite gruesome at times.

Oh, and BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA!
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    As an aside from the awesome sound effects talk, anyone here ever read Irredeemable? It's written by Mark Waid with art from Peter Krause. It's basically about a Superman level hero who goes berserk and starts killing former teammates. It goes to some really dark places and has plenty of plot twists. Highly recommend this, I'd call it apocalyptic horror, quite gruesome at times.

I did and liked it for about 2/3 of the run. Then it sort of just started sputtering and I didn't care for the way everything was wound up. But for the life of me I can't recall how it ended other than feeling let down!
    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post

Read it and the sister series Incorruptible I think was the title. Loved both of them. TPB vol 3 of Irredeemable must have been way over printed. Cause I keep on finding copies at Dollar Tree.

Read a few issues of the Bendis/Maleev Moon Knight run last night. I'm missing the first issue and one or two others, I have most of the run but it isn't complete so obviously I'm not getting the whole story but this is pretty fun stuff. Bendis' story is tense but also effectively humorous, especially in its depiction of MK's affair with Echo and the different voices that he hears in his head (they being Captain America, Wolverine and Spider-Man). Maleev's art is great too. I need to find the issues I'm missing and complete this run because it's pretty great.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Read a few issues of the Bendis/Maleev Moon Knight run last night. I'm missing the first issue and one or two others, I have most of the run but it isn't complete so obviously I'm not getting the whole story but this is pretty fun stuff. Bendis' story is tense but also effectively humorous, especially in its depiction of MK's affair with Echo and the different voices that he hears in his head (they being Captain America, Wolverine and Spider-Man). Maleev's art is great too. I need to find the issues I'm missing and complete this run because it's pretty great.
    Finished the Bendis Moon Knight run last night. Really fun stuff.

I also read Pitt #'s 9-13. I had the first couple of issues in the nineties and have been pulling them out of dollar bins again when I find them. I think Newt said a few pages back that the Full Bleed issues are tough to find and he's right. Anyway, this series isn't very well written, haha. It's mostly fight scenes. It had interesting ideas that aren't fully fleshed out but I do like the art and the nostalgia buzz I get from reading it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Sounds like i need to keep an eye out for that Moon Knight run.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
    Sounds like i need to keep an eye out for that Moon Knight run.
    It's a nice mix of dark humor and standard superhero 'stuff.' MK has to keep a bad guy from getting a hold of a random Ultron head, haha.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Finished the Bendis Moon Knight run last night. Really fun stuff.

I also read Pitt #'s 9-13. I had the first couple of issues in the nineties and have been pulling them out of dollar bins again when I find them. I think Newt said a few pages back that the Full Bleed issues are tough to find and he's right. Anyway, this series isn't very well written, haha. It's mostly fight scenes. It had interesting ideas that aren't fully fleshed out but I do like the art and the nostalgia buzz I get from reading it.
    Lots of the early Image stuff had interesting ideas that weren't fully fleshed out in the comics. But oddly if you were reading piles of the comic mags at the time they were fully fleshed out in the various interviews the Image 7 did.

Does Dale Keown still do comic art? Feels like he did like Larry Stroman and got big bucks off Image then quit comics.

He's been doing Maestro at Marvel recently.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/creators/241/dale_keown
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Maxine Manchester gets her own prestige format one-shot in LADYTRON, written by Joe Casey with art by Eric Canete.

Maxine is a great character and after having read through the first Joe Casey run I had high expectations for this. Can't say it really delivered. It's an odd story that shows her go from human to robot who falls in love with another robot but it never felt real. It's fun and frantic like a fever dream seen through Maxine's chaotic eyes, but it never really grabbed me.

The art by Eric Canete is pretty great but an odd fit. I'm a fan of his, he was one of the lead animators on AEON FLUX so his work always had a style reminiscent of Aeon's creator Peter Chung. I never realized he did work for Wildstorm. Previous to this he did a bunch of work for Danzig's comic line VEROTIK.

Worth checking out for fans of Ladytron. I expected something leaning more towards future noir given the cover's a homage to AKIRA. Instead it's an odd cartoony love story between murderous robots. I only paid 2 dollars for it so I can't complain.

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"