Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: General Comicbook Talk, Reviews, etc.

Sounds kind of like how I discovered a pile of Golden Age heroes when Adventure Comics became a digest.

I can clearly remember seeing the first digest sized issue on the rack when Mom was grocery shopping. Begged her to get it for me. And from then till Adventure went back to normal size I got every issue.

Been slowly trying to recollect those issues. But rather not drop 10 or more an issue to get them in decent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Those Golden Age reprints were how I discovered characters like Kid Eternity, Dr. Fate and The Spectre when I was a kid.
    Yeah, my absolute favorite stuff from Dc is that Golden Age stuff, used to love finding the reprints in the back of those issues. Last year when i was shopping at Ollie's, i came across Kirby and Simon's Newsboy Legion. I was so geeked when i recognized The Guardian and the Boys. And yeah Newt, most of that stuff is pricey these days, i don't have too many actual issues. But i've been buying up the Archive Editions and Marvel Masterworks when i can find them for under $30. Have quite a few at this point. When i was a kid, i never thought i would have access to this much Golden Age stuff.

I've got a few of the Detective Comics 100 pagers, got them mainly for the Walt Simonson Manhunter backup stories.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I used to have most of those with the Manhunter run. Unfortunately they did not survive the years. But i did pick up the Manhunter trade.

Right at a decade ago at Coast Con a dealer had a pile of Bronze Age DC stuff for 2/3rd off guide. I got some of the various DC horror anthologies 100 page giants for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
    I used to have most of those with the Manhunter run. Unfortunately they did not survive the years. But i did pick up the Manhunter trade.
    I have two reprints of the Manhunter stuff, one from the eighties and then a later one with a shiny gold cover.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I've got a few of the Detective Comics 100 pagers, got them mainly for the Walt Simonson Manhunter backup stories.
    Those Detective Comics 100 pagers had good Batman stories as well. Many had horror elements, and writers like Len Wein and Archie Goodwin, with art by Aparo. I've managed to amass quite a bunch of 100 pagers - 'Tec, Batman, JLA, World's Finest, The Flash and Brave and the Bold. I picked up some at conventions, and the rest from comic stores. They're reading copies, most are in decent shape. Never paid more than $10 for any single issue.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I read the Green Arrow 100 Page Anniversary Special last night, found it in the LCS in the $1 bin for some reason. Not every story is great but I have to admit that it made me really happy to see Mike Grell draw Green Arrow and Shado again.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This thread died a slow death.

Read a few issues of Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider series from, I wanna say 2007, last night. Fun stuff. I'm a sucker for Ghost Rider but Aaron writes the character well. Now I want to get more from his run.

I also read the last issue of Kirby's 2001 from the 70s, 2nd appearance of Machine Man. Great stuff. Really fun, weirdly creative. Kirby at his trippiest.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    This thread died a slow death.
    Heheh, give it time and i'll be back. a) Works been hectic, and 2) been trying to get as much kayaking, tubing and hiking in as i can before the weather turns here in MD. But i've got a stack of stuff on the printer i wanna scan and ramble about. And now i need to keep an eye out for that Ghost Rider run. Haven't read anything newer than the first 30 issues of the '90 run.