Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comicbook Talk, Reviews, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    The MWC comics show up in the $1 bins at my LCS semi-regularly. If you're still missing any issues PM me and if I ever come across them I'll send them your way.
    I will update my want list and send it to ya sir. Thanks.

BITCH PLANET Vol 1:Extraordinary Machine
    Written by Kelly Sue DeConnick, Art by Valentine De Landro

A sci-fi feminist take on women in prison films with a huge helping of THE RUNNING MAN. I thought this was dull, crass and uninspired. As a fan of exploitation movies I always cringe at these kind of modern takes on them because they always miss the point. And their disingenuous towards the finer quality of many of those films, skewing their homage more towards caricature rather than something lovingly. It feels cheap, and probably not the way the creators intended.

I'd post pages of the art but posting them after posting images from LOW seems unfair.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    As a fan of exploitation movies I always cringe at these kind of modern takes on them because they always miss the point. And their disingenuous towards the finer quality of many of those films, skewing their homage more towards caricature rather than something lovingly. It feels cheap, and probably not the way the creators intended.
    Have you read the Grindhouse stuff that Alex De Campi did for Dark Horse or Dracula, Motherfucker! from Image? I generally agree with your statement above but I think De Campi's stuff is an exception (but then I like her writing a lot).
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Have you read the Grindhouse stuff that Alex De Campi did for Dark Horse or Dracula, Motherfucker! from Image? I generally agree with your statement above but I think De Campi's stuff is an exception (but then I like her writing a lot).
    I don't think I've read any of her work. That Dracula book has caught my eye though. I am a sucker for Draculas.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I don't think I've read any of her work. That Dracula book has caught my eye though. I am a sucker for Draculas.
    I liked it. I like most of her horror work though. She's currently doing some Dredd stuff for 2000 AD that I'm hoping will get collected at some point. I love 2000 AD but it's tough to keep up with when it's weekly.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Got in that lot of 100 random indie comics. Filmed me opening it. Decent selection of 80s thru 2000s era stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    Got in that lot of 100 random indie comics. Filmed me opening it. Decent selection of 80s thru 2000s era stuff.
    You should post that video in the dollar in thread!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Currently reading Corben's Poe adaptations Spirits of the Dead. Will check out his Lovecraft stories next, I think his black and white stuff is great. Recently read Shadows on the Grave, the stories may be slight but that black and white art works so well.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    Currently reading Corben's Poe adaptations Spirits of the Dead. Will check out his Lovecraft stories next, I think his black and white stuff is great. Recently read Shadows on the Grave, the stories may be slight but that black and white art works so well.
    All of the Poe and Lovecraft adaptations are excellent in my opinion.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!