Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: Currently reading...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Finished up Stephen King's latest (and capper to a connected trilogy), End of Watch. I have mixed feelings about this one after really liking the first two - Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers - after those two were for the most part real world thrillers with only a hint or two of the supernatural, he goes full-on with it this time. No spoilers here as it's mentioned on the back cover of the book, but this one brings Brady Hartsfield (the brain damaged killer from the first book) to the fore. He's been given experimental drugs and this, or possibly the actual brain injury itself has given him bizarre mind control powers and the ability to project himself into another. It's typical King in that it rips along and is never boring...but I couldn't help feeling a little letdown with this turn of events. The investigators who brought him down the first time are back (well, it's mostly Det. ret. Hodges and Holly) and their interactions are well written and fun. The ending packs a surprisingly emotional punch too, but I think I'll favor the first two books. I'll be really interested to hear what some of you others who have read the first 2 think about this one - Tolch and Paul, and anyone else too.
    You pretty much summed up my tgoughts, exactly. I'm not disappointed to have read it, but it's not on the level of the first two, which I found to be more character study...compelling character study...whereas this one let the silly plot devices get in the way of what he'd built and any potential forward momentum that he had going. I guess I don't know where I would've taken it, either, but maybe letting it go at the end of Finders Keepers would've been smart. It's almost like we got King the coke head back for this, and not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    This is phenomenal:
    This is the best book I've read this year. I loved it.

Currently reading the English translation of this:
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I just finished reading WONDERLAND AVENUE by Danny Sugerman, now reading OPEN UP AND BLEED by that Mojo editor guy whose name escapes me.

DELIVERANCE by James Dickey

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    DELIVERANCE by James Dickey
    Excellent choice!
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Rereading Hunter S Thompson's The Rum Diary, which I hadn't read since it's first printing. Pretty solid, nice prose rhythms going on.

Currently reading two manga, Mikoto Yamaguti's SCUMBAG LOSER (Yen Press) and Kazuto Tatsuta's ICHI-F (Kodansha)

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Rereading AKIRA since I just got the 35th anniversary box set.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    How is "Everyone has a Secret"? I've read one or two of Starr's books. Seems like one or two were with another writer, maybe? Seems like they were Hard Case paperbacks and "The Pack" was the solo novel. The collab's were pretty good which led me to "The Pack", which, was okay.

The local library is having a huge book sale. Tomorrow is the final day & it's a bag for $10. Last year I stuffed it with 10+ Andrew Vachss hardcovers so a lot can be had for super cheap. I'm hoping a bunch of Hard Case novels are still there tomorrow...