Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James Wan's Malignant

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Ringeisen View Post
    Lorne, I'm a bit more kind than you are towards it. I wouldn't skip the first 80 minutes, the whole package I think works pretty well, I'd have just tightened it up a bit. Instead of a 111 minute run-time, it could have shaved 10 minutes off, though, it was still good stuff.

James Wan, looking at films from him, I've actually not see many of his films, though I did pick up Conjuring 1 and 2 on Blu-ray at a Dollar Tree a while back, I'll have to give them a look sometime. I also see he did the film Malevolent, which I do recall seeing and finding pretty mediocre.

This one here, it could have been Scooby-Dooby-Doo that directed it, wouldn't have mattered, to me. I still found it a decent little ride! It has spots I did not care much for that slowed down a bit, or made me roll my eyes a bit, though when I look at the entire film, hey, I had a decent time, and I am glad I went to see it. What sold me on it, was someone telling me it's not what I thought it was, some type of possession/ghost/whatever film.

It's worth a look, for those who may have been on the fence about it, give it a go, it's not bad! Sure as heck better than Green Knight!
    I see where you're coming from. Okay, I guess I could recommend MALIGNANT in its entirety, but I would just caution anyone who gets tired of all the jump scares in mainstream horror flicks to hang in there till the last 30 minutes, because if you have an appreciation for horror of the ridiculous kind - with a nod to THE DARK HALF as well as what Dick alluded to - you should enjoy it.

(By the way, I believe you might have been thinking about INSIDIOUS as one of Wan's films, Dick. There have have been movies called MALEVOLENT as well as MALEVOLENCE [with a prequel and sequel], but as far as I know, he wasn't involved with any of those.)
    VHS will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne Marshall View Post
    ...(By the way, I believe you might have been thinking about INSIDIOUS as one of Wan's films, Dick. There have have been movies called MALEVOLENT as well as MALEVOLENCE [with a prequel and sequel], but as far as I know, he wasn't involved with any of those.)
    Yeah, I had a brain fart there. Not sure why I typed Malevolent... You are correct, though, I meant Insidious. I rented that one years back, and, I managed to watch it all the way through and not shut it off due to boredom, so it was at least that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne Marshall View Post
    I see where you're coming from. Okay, I guess I could recommend MALIGNANT in its entirety, but I would just caution anyone who gets tired of all the jump scares in mainstream horror flicks to hang in there till the last 30 minutes, because if you have an appreciation for horror of the ridiculous kind - with a nod to THE DARK HALF as well as what Dick alluded to - you should enjoy it.
    With Malignant, other than the first part of the film, prior to the opening credits, it does tread a bit into a typical, modern, possession-type movie. Though as the film marches on, it gets a bit ridiculous, as you say. You have the mousey forensic woman who shows up, lol, that when I noticed the tone change a bit. Not to mention the dude in the hotel who is just like, "Ho-hum, a bunch of water on my floor", lol... What I am getting at, is people could do worse with what is currently out there in theatres, than with Malignant, and I found Malignant to be pretty decent. Malignant helped wash my eyes of Green Knight, and now I can say that the last time I was in a movie theatre I actually saw something I had an alright time watching, lol. Then again, I like stuff other people don't, like Hudson Hawk, a damn fine film that one!

Blu-ray coming 11/30.

https://amzn.to/3mVuKmb

Rock! Shock! Pop!

i found it terrible and ridiculous in the last act. It's basically a plot that has been done much better in Giallos and the like. The silly puppet with the powers from the Matrix was a little too much.
    Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate