Thread: How do Netflix programs get classified in your country?

How do Netflix programs get classified in your country?

Here's something I got to wondering last night. I was watching Brand New Cherry Flavour. There's a fisting scene in there that will have all but the most squeamish curling their toes. It seemed out of step with the programs 15+ rating. It got me googling exactly how these programs are rated. Turns out, and this is bizarre, the gov'ment here allows Netflix to rate the programs themselves. No censorship involved. Even better than that, Netflix doesn't even have anyone providing ratings, they instead have an app that does it automatically. Huh.... well I can see how the fisting scene got through. No way an AI is going to see anything wrong with it.

Obviously the US doesn't require rating but how does your country handle it?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

In the UK, the BBFC allow Netflix to self classify using their guidelines. The BBFC then audit them to ensure they stick to them.

That show has an 18 rating here.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    In the UK, the BBFC allow Netflix to self classify using their guidelines. The BBFC then audit them to ensure they stick to them.

That show has an 18 rating here.
    I wonder if the App is autogenerating those ratings in the UK too? It's odd that it's got a more restrictive rating in the UK. If it is the App I wonder what would trigger the 18+ in the UK but not in Oz.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    I wonder if the App is autogenerating those ratings in the UK too? It's odd that it's got a more restrictive rating in the UK. If it is the App I wonder what would trigger the 18+ in the UK but not in Oz.
    Pretty sure it's not automated in the UK, the BBFC wouldn't sanction that. I wonder if an app could differentiate between a simulated horse wank (legal) and a real one (prison time) like in a Joe D'Amato film? That needs the good old human touch (in both ways!). Plus the BBFC need to justify their increasingly irrelevant existence so wouldn't let distributors just use an app and put them out of a job and fat classification fees.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

It's not automated in Germany and as far as I know, there is some sort of a council that watches every single content and rate. I always found it an interesting career opportunity but of course, you don't always watch the best movies on Netflix. Also, the last time I have visited my father at his property in Cyprus I came to realize that Netflix ratings there are different than in Germany. It's pretty interesting because probably they have different standards than Germany.

Self rated. And their ratings don't match ours.

Like for cinemas we have ALL - 7 - 11 - 15 and above, whereas netflix have 13, 16, 18 etc.

And Netflix seems to in general self-impose one step higher. So a film that was 11 in the cinemas here is 13+ on Netflix or sometimes even 16.
    Last edited by The Silly Swede; 08-27-2021 at 02:52 PM.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

I can’t speak for the rest of my country, it in my house most Netflix were classified as shit, so we cancelled the subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    I can’t speak for the rest of my country, it in my house most Netflix were classified as shit, so we cancelled the subscription.
    Very true. Haha.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Netflix is the one that I use maybe every few months. But Dad loves it. Most mornings he gets up at 6am and gets 1 or 2 movies watched before Mom gets up. So I keep it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Here's something I got to wondering last night. I was watching Brand New Cherry Flavour. There's a fisting scene in there that will have all but the most squeamish curling their toes.
    What could be so problematic about a good old punch-up?

(Reminds me of an episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, I think, where Sandi Toksvig or someone similar threatened to give one of the other guests 'a good old fisting' - much to the amusement of, IIRC, Noel Fielding. Ah, to be innocent.)
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard