Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ken Russell Rocks Thread

The Ken Russell Rocks Thread

So, I have to say, this night I've been revisiting Ken Russell's ALTERED STATES and reading about the background to that film, which imo seriously needs a 'special edition' release of some kind - and thinking that Russell's films deserve their own thread.

Russell's adaptation of THE DEVILS would easily make it into my top ten favourite films of all time.

What say you chaps? Any favourite films of Russell? Stories and opinions to share?

(I have a slightly lewd story about Russell which is second-hand but came to me through a very reliable friend in the UK film industry. Not sure if I should share this, tbh.)
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    (I have a slightly lewd story about Russell which is second-hand but came to me through a very reliable friend in the UK film industry. Not sure if I should share this, tbh.)
    You should.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I'm typing this on a new phone (supposedly on Chrome) and man is the formatting fucked. Please excuse errors.

I started watching Russell's theatrical features in chronological order about a year ago. Acquired them all but haven't gotten far because of life getting in the way. They are GREAT, though. This phone is not, though, so I'll have to attack this later from desktop.

LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM, obviously, but those BFI sets of the BBC films are essential.

"Tommy" would be my favorite. I love The Who's music, and Roger Daltrey's version of "I'm Free" here is better than the original. "Gothic" was kind of okay, but not great. "Lair of the White Worm" is pretty good. I saw "Whore" on Cinemax years back, but don't remember much about it. "Altered States" is weird, but it gets points for baby Drew Barrymore in the cast! I've always wanted to see "The Devils", but I never found a copy. Of course I haven't looked very hard for one, either.

Women In Love and Lisztomania are probably my favorites. He made a few dogs (Trapped Ashes, Dogboys), but he has so many great films that are worth seeing for a variety of very different reasons. It kills me that Warner Bros continues to thwart all attempts at getting an uncut release of The Devils.

I've been watching a few of cuddly Ken's films recently that passed me by: Crimes of Passion, Lair of the White Worm and Valentino (my only memory of that was watching a fullscreen version on the BBC as a horny teen where there's a gyrating and bouncing bush right in the camera lens for what seemed like an eternity. God bless you Ken). While not in the same league as The Devils or the BBC films, his sense of playfulness is always fun to watch.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

LISZTOMANIA is honestly one of the craziest films I've ever seen. It's indescribably batshit.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    I'm typing this on a new phone (supposedly on Chrome) and man is the formatting fucked. Please excuse errors.
    I have the same issue on my phone. It's basically a series of links with no graphics for some reason. Tried both Chrome and Firefox. CHFB and BR.com are fine. And yeah, i need to catch up on my Russell viewing as well.

Started my Russell viewing project with French Dressing. Was concerned that it might suck and therefore put me off the whole thing, but it was fun, just not batshit like some of his later stuff. Perfectly serviceable little comedy featuring some sexy bits and (of course) Veruca Salt’s dad.