Thread: FANTASTIC PLANET (1973)

FANTASTIC PLANET (1973)

Rene Laloux's remarkable parable about a faraway planet is a visionary example of animated sci-fi. Set on a faraway planet where the humanoids (Ohms) are struggling for freedom under the rule of their more alien-like Draags, the film is related to the cautionary fiction of George Orwell - particularly 1984 and Animal Farm. Based on a novel by Stefan Wul, Laloux and Roland Topor's script is low key and lets the visuals, sounds and eerie mood tell its tale.

Topor was also the production designer and it's here where the film truly shines. The look is heavily influenced by European fantasy artwork and the combined Czech-French crew make it truly distinctive. The avant-garde jazzy score by Alain Goraguer gives it a unique flavor.
    Laloux's later 1987's LIGHT YEARS (aka Gandahar) is also worth seeking out.

FANTASTIC PLANET is available to stream on HBO Max and The Roku Channel. It's also on Criterion Blu Ray.

Name:  fantastic3.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  222.4 KB

I have never seen this, but just noticed it's on the Criterion Channel, so I've added it to my list. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I have never seen this, but just noticed it's on the Criterion Channel, so I've added it to my list. Cheers.
    You'll be richly rewarded, Mark. I haven't seen nearly the number of animated films as others on this forum, but of the ones I've viewed over the years, this would certainly be in my top 5.
    VHS will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne Marshall View Post
    You'll be richly rewarded, Mark. I haven't seen nearly the number of animated films as others on this forum, but of the ones I've viewed over the years, this would certainly be in my top 5.
    My leg is all fucked up today, so I'm on a combo of Oxy and some ridiculous muscle relaxers. Might have to make a cup of coffee and watch this now while I'm parked somewhere between Earth and the furthest reaches of space.

My leg is all fucked up today, so I'm on a combo of Oxy and some ridiculous muscle relaxers. Might have to make a cup of coffee and watch this now while I'm parked somewhere between Earth and the furthest reaches of space.
    You’ll be in the right frame of mind for this one under those conditions, Mark.

Did you not watch this with Arthur and I in college, in a certain state?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

That's entirely possible. But it will definitely be like seeing it the first time now.

Ha, fair enough.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I had never heard of the film. Then 98 was staying at a buddy's house when I went home for Xmas. I rarely drink. But we split a 12 pack and I watched it. Great film.

Need to find a nice blu ray release of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    I had never heard of the film. Then 98 was staying at a buddy's house when I went home for Xmas. I rarely drink. But we split a 12 pack and I watched it. Great film.

Need to find a nice blu ray release of it.
    Criterion did a nice one a few years back, it should still be readily available.