Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.I.P. Norm MacDonald

Name:  E_RUulUXsAovmin.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  88.8 KB
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Name:  E_RUulUXsAovmin.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  88.8 KB
    Bob Dole sent this out on twitter earlier.

Name:  bob.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  31.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

His brother released a statement that Norm had leukemia, and had been the hospital for the past month, because last month he took a really bad turn.

He was the last great Weekend Update guy, for me. Miller was good, Kevin Nealon, then Norm. Colin was OK, but, he was no Norm! I recall that night on SNL back int he 90s, when Weekend Update was changed. My friend and I thought Norm was great with Weekend Update, looked forward to it, and that night, oooooo, that was a sad night, seeing Colin, a new Weekend Update... Anyone recall the online petition back in the 90s, to, "Free Norm" from his contract at SNL? Ah, the 90s internet, that was a cozy time, forums were great back then. That reminds me, I am glad Ian still kept DVD Maniacs, er, RSP around.

I recently watched the great film, "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo", and Norm really nails the part of a no-nonsense bartender in that film, "If you don't pay me now, I'm gonna take this swizzle stick, and I'll be shoving that right up your pee-hole". Ah, such fine delivery with that line.

Norm was a very funny man, and he had plenty of pain to fuel it all. He was extremely intelligent, amazingly insightful, and never compromised.

It'll be a long time, if ever, before we see another like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Bob Dole sent this out on twitter earlier.

Name:  bob.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  31.9 KB
    It would have been even more amusing if he had written "Dob Bole will miss Norm Macdonald."

Anyway, for me personally, this comedian is one of the few left in Hollywood I am sad to see pass.
    VHS will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Ringeisen View Post
    His brother released a statement that Norm had leukemia, and had been the hospital for the past month, because last month he took a really bad turn.

He was the last great Weekend Update guy, for me. Miller was good, Kevin Nealon, then Norm. Colin was OK, but, he was no Norm! I recall that night on SNL back int he 90s, when Weekend Update was changed. My friend and I thought Norm was great with Weekend Update, looked forward to it, and that night, oooooo, that was a sad night, seeing Colin, a new Weekend Update... Anyone recall the online petition back in the 90s, to, "Free Norm" from his contract at SNL? Ah, the 90s internet, that was a cozy time, forums were great back then. That reminds me, I am glad Ian still kept DVD Maniacs, er, RSP around.

I recently watched the great film, "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo", and Norm really nails the part of a no-nonsense bartender in that film, "If you don't pay me now, I'm gonna take this swizzle stick, and I'll be shoving that right up your pee-hole". Ah, such fine delivery with that line.

It's funny, because I was such a Miller guy when it came to Weekend Update; I can't stand that dude now. But I remember when Norm came on, I watched it and thought, "Who the fuck is this guy and why do people think that he's funny???" I came around on that later. One of the funniest motherfuckers on the face of the planet for sure.

Mark, I liked that run, that was more, "My time" with SNL - Miller, Nealon, and then MacDonald. 90s was the last time I really found SNL funny. The mid-late 90s, I recall days, when the WWW was new, a friend and I, on some of those weekends, would be browsing internet with the little tube-tv near the computer that had the NBC station pulled in through the antenna...

Sad to see him go, but that was one of the few online petitions I ever signed, lol, probably also sent an e-mail to NBC. There was something created online, after he lost the Weekend Update, to release Norm from his contract, since after that, SNL was only using him in 1 sketch a week or something after that. Yeah, an online petition in the 90s, there were a few of them, and, "Free Norm!" was one of them, lol.

Also, Norm was about when some of my interest in SNL fizzled out. There was still some cast there, and yeah, Colin Quinn is an OK guy, but his Weekend Update felt very safe and G-rated compared to Norm, or even Nealon and Miller. Once Quinn took over, it was part of what fizzled me out with SNL. I watched on occasion, and I recall when Tina Fey and that other guy did the Weekend Update, and about that time, was when I was pretty much done. Someone would clue me into a sketch, and then i could find it online, so there were some good sketches here and there from 2000-2005 or so, but, Norm leaving Weekend Update, the tone of SNL changed a bit after that, and starting about the year 2000 was when I very rarely watched SNL. Don't get me started on the last 10-15 years of the Super-PC SNL.

A 5-10 years ago I went through, in the background, all airings of SNL 89-99 or so. I may have to do that again, sometime....

I've never understood the appeal of Colin Quinn. He is definitely a respected comic, but he's never made me laugh. Maybe it's a NY thing?
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

This always cracks me up.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Rock! Shock! Pop!