Thread: Covid references in Television

Covid references in Television

When this whole Covid thing kicked off I remember wondering how television shows were going to handle it. There's nothing particularly cinematic about Covid. People sitting at home behind computer screens does not great telly make. At the same time if the show is set in the real world they can't just totally ignore it can they? It seems like they can. There's not a lot of Covid in shows that were already running.

The only reference that I've noticed in a mainstream program so far is Billions. Billions was halfway through it's fifth season when Covid started. In the seventh episode one of the characters says something along the lines of "this shit spreads like Covid." Then next week no episode. It would be over a year before the show came back to finish the season. What's surprising there is how little gap there must be between shooting and airing for Billions.

When Billions returned to finish the season it's all people in masks and talking on Zoom. Which is terrible telly. I'm not sure how much of the Zoom-ing is them trying to replicate what's happening in the real world and how much of it is the reality of trying to shoot a show in pandemic conditions- it's easier if your actors don't actually have to be in the same room together. It sucks though.

That's about the only show I can think of that's acknowledging it though. Even shows I would expect to be all over it, like Rick and Morty, are giving it a wide berth. Have I missed other programs dealing with it?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

The last episodes of Shameless (US) acknowledged it.

The recent season of Brooklyn Nine Nine references it too, as does The Connors (in fact they had a full episode about how it was affecting one of the kids on the show).
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The whole last season of Grey's Anatomy was plaguey. Meredith caught the bug. Spoiler.

Oh please let it end that I even know this.

why we do not have a Grey's Anatomy thread

Yea only shows I've seen mention it are that last season of Shameless and The Conners.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry M View Post
    why we do not have a Grey's Anatomy thread
    BANNED FOR LIFE.

The new Curb Your Enthusiasm is set in a largely post Covid world but there was a funny scene in the first episode where a character holding a party suddenly gets ostracized by all his friends when someone happens across a cupboard full of his Covid hoarded toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.