Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 31 Days of Horror 2021 edition

^ Best creature design ever.

The Hitcher
    (Robert Harmon, 1986)

I haven't actually revisited this one since the VHS days.

I'm not sure it blew me away *quite* so thoroughly as it used to. I kept getting mildly annoyed by the way the film pretty much abandons any sense of consensus reality, allowing Hauer to do blatantly impossible things just in order to foreground the symbiotic/supernatural relationship between him and Howell even more obsessively than was already the case.

But still. It's 'The Hitcher'. It fucking rules. You know this.

A-

The Earth Dies Screaming-Watched this with the commentary on since I had watched the movie on cable a few months ago. Within 75 seconds I learned how this movie tied into Village Of The Damned and Die, Monster Die! Thumbs up. I like this better than I should. Aliens use a gas to kill earthmen then send robots down to finish the job. At 62 minutes it moves along nicely. 6

The Secret Of Dorian Gray (1970)- I like most of the Dorian Gray movies and this one is somewhat looser in its sexuality. Not bad, but not great either. I prefer the tv version with Shane Briant to all the rest. 5

The Comeback-pop star takes 6 years off and tries to record a comeback album. Somebody wants to drive him crazy and/or kill him. This was massively okay. 4

OCTOBER 2021

1-The Empty Man
    2-American Nightmares(2018)
    3-Dementia 13 (1963)
    4-Taste Of Phobia
    5-Blood The Last Vampire
    6-The Lady And The Monster
    7-The Robot vs The Aztec Mummy
    8-The Witch's Mirror
    9-Cube
    10-Cube 2 Hypercube
    11-Cube Zero
    12-Witchcraft(64)
    13-The Mortuary Collection
    14-100 Cries Of Terror
    15-Head Trauma
    16-Night Of The Living Dead (1990)
    17-End Of The Line
    18-The Earth Dies Screaming
    19-The Secret of Dorian Gray
    20-The Comeback
    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Name:  Santo_contra_los_zombies.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  36.6 KB

Day 16

TITLE-Santo Contra Los Zombies AKA Santo Vs the Zombies
    SOURCE-Bootleg DVD

Back in 90 or 91 I discovered the Santo films. I caught half of one on a Spanish channel I could sometimes get on the antenna and was hooked. So maybe 4 years ago as a birthday gift a friend gave me a DVD,turned out to be a DVD-r,of Santo vs the Zombies. Did a bit of research and learned this is the 3rd of the Santo films,but the first to get a release in the USA.

Santo was a wrestling legend in Mexico. In 1958 Santo got talked into making 2 films in Cuba. These were both huge hits so a long line of Santo films followed.

In Santo vs the Zombies a crime spree is happening. And the cops discover through fingerprints that one of the people in these crimes is someone who has been dead for years. So they call in Santo to solve the case.

Now one drawback to the DVD I have is there is no English dub or subtitles. My Spanish skills are shit. I took Spanish for 2 years in High School and did ok. But after high school was over didn't use them for years and forgot all I learned. The little Spanish I know I either picked up from watching CMLL and AAA Lucha Libre for years and the bit I learned the 10 years I lived in Texas. So when I watched the movie I was lost a few times. But these Santo films are not hard to follow even when you can't understand what is being said.

Santo vs the Zombies came out in 1961,so I predates NOTLD. Which means the zombies in this are the voodoo kind not the flesh/brain eating kind we are use to now. Still the movie has a few creepy moments. And I had fun watching it.

Santo vs the Zombies gets a C.

Cody covers Love at First Bite. Which might be the first vampire film I saw.

Day 16: Grave of the Vampire

The blood is the lifeless.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

The Case of the Bloody Iris
    [Perché Quelle Strane Gocce di Sangue sul Corpo di Jennifer?]
    (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1972)

An entirely satisfactory giallo.

Feels a bit cheaper and more rushed than the Martino-directed films, but still hits every single one of the necessary notes just dead on. A full house in genre bingo.

Decant yrself a generous carafe of red wine, and enjoy.

B+

Quote Originally Posted by BW Haggar View Post
    The Case of the Bloody Iris
    [Perché Quelle Strane Gocce di Sangue sul Corpo di Jennifer?]
    (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1972)

An entirely satisfactory giallo.

Feels a bit cheaper and more rushed than the Martino-directed films, but still hits every single one of the necessary notes just dead on. A full house in genre bingo.

Decant yrself a generous carafe of red wine, and enjoy.

B+
    With that gorgeous photography I've always thought of it as being a slightly classier version of the Martino films rather than cheaper. Cracker of a movie anyway.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Day 17: Dark Eyes of London

Rated H for hoary.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    With that gorgeous photography I've always thought of it as being a slightly classier version of the Martino films rather than cheaper. Cracker of a movie anyway.
    Yes, agreed. Stelvio Massi's photography is great. I guess I just meant that, whereas the Martino films seem very planned out and stylistically consistent, '..Bloody Iris' feels as if it might have been thrown together pretty quickly, using just a handful of sets/locations, and a random grab-bag of ideas in the script. That's not a criticism however - having seen all of these movies a few times at this point, I find it more enjoyable and re-watchable than the early Martinos (the OTT hysteria of '..Mrs Wardh' and 'All the Colors..' can get a bit exhausting after a while).
    Last edited by BW Haggar; 10-17-2021 at 05:35 PM.

In other news meanwhile, I'm afraid I broke with the October horror pact today to go and see Todd Haynes' Velvet Underground documentary at the cinema. Not very spooky, although some of the participants are arguably a bit montrous, and there's surely a certain tangential genre interest to any film in which Mary Woronov dances with a whip and gets all the best lines.
    Last edited by BW Haggar; 10-17-2021 at 05:35 PM.