Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about Ghost Shows?

What do you think about Ghost Shows?

Ghost shows. There are lots of them on lots of different channels. Well not really that many different channels, most of them are on Discovery, A&E, Travel Channel and oddly enough Animal Planet, so really, that's four channels but still. That's enough channels, right?

At first, I was into this stuff in a big way. I've never officially seen a ghost, though don't doubt they could exist, but I've always been fascinated by ghost stories and urban legends and stuff and Ghost Hunters, the first of these shows I ever saw, was rad in that it dug into a lot of that stuff. While it would have been easy enough to stage some of what they saw, I was able to suspend my disbelief and get into it. I also liked the personalities on the show quite a bit. The two main guys, the former Roto-Rooter dudes, they seemed like nice, down to earth guys and Dave Tango and the other tech guy were always amusing enough. They had a sense of humor about themselves but also managed to get some neat 'evidence' that could prove or disprove whatever it was they were after on any given episode.

Since then, things have gotten progressively goofier. I like Ghost Adventures simply because it's as wacky as it is. I like the fact that it's a small crew, that they go to really obscure places and that they supposedly look themselves in without anyone else. I also like the fact that the main guy, whose name I can't remember, will provoke ghosts and yell at them. This amuses me. Then there's Paranormal State, which I just sat through the fifth season of. Bonus points for that Ryan guy for bringing his own spirituality and Catholicism into the show to sometimes give it a different slant but this is so corny in how it's shot and how it's consistently focusing on his dreamy eyes and goth/emo theories that I can't get all that into it even when what they're investigating is interesting (and it often is). Why do they have him walk away from the camera like David Banner at the end of The Incredible Hulk at the end of each episode? Dumb. At least it features a chick named Elfie, which makes me laugh, and has that tough post-op psychic chick in it to spice things up.

But if that's not enough, now there are ghost shows on Animal Planet and Celebrity Ghost Stories on the Biography Channel. At first, I was all like 'yeah, bring on the ghost shows' but now? I think the networks have gone too far and that it's just getting silly.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I want so badly t obelieve in ghosts, but I can't. Not yet anyway. Those ghost shows are so stupid I can't even bother with them. South Park did a great job of making fun of them. I've only seen the commercials for that shit and it has made me loath the use of night vision cameras.

Ghost books are cool, but fuck those shows.

See, it's easy to say that until you start watching some of them. Most of the more recent ones play to the lowest common denominator but Ghost Hunters is still pretty interesting. Agreed on the overuse of nightvision, but then, how do you show the viewer what happens in the dark? I don't know that there's a way around it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Well, I pretty much hate reality type shows, so it's difficult to be able to tolerate more than a commercial. Do they ever capture anything on film? If not why in fuck do they bother filming at night?

They do sometimes get some interesting stuff, yep. And they film at night because that's evidently when ghosts are the most active. And it's scarier. It'd be boring to film some dude's living room in the middle of the day time if nothing showed up, but if you do it at night time, it's instantly scarier, even if nothing shows up, because you don't automatically know where the noises are coming from and stuff like that. I am well aware that a large part of the reason they do what they do how they do it is to build tension and suspense just like in a movie and calling this stuff reality TV is probably stretching a bit but sometimes these shows can be pretty cool.

I've got Ghost Hunters Season 6 on its way and look forward to checking it out on BD. For my money it's the most consistently interesting of all the ghost shows.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I consider anything with everyday people in a non-scripted environment to be reality tv. Even those "I Survived" shows. Hell's Kitchen is more of a game show, but at it's core I think of it as reality-based. Jsut using that as an example.

I used to watch ghost "documentaries" on A&E and Discover years ago, but I got turned off by the re-enactment shit. I'll give that to the GHost Hunter type shows, they don't do the re-enactment.

ANd I think if they were recording in broad daylight and capture a ghost on tape, that'd be way more frightening than at night. For me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jordan View Post
    ANd I think if they were recording in broad daylight and capture a ghost on tape, that'd be way more frightening than at night. For me anyway.
    Agreed, but for whatever reason, people seem to 'see' ghosts and experience more of this type of stuff at night, right? Plus it's all about ratings and the spookier they make it the better in that regard I'm sure.

As far as 'reality TV' I understand how you're using the term. I just don't think there is such a thing in the literal sense.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Ah I see. YEah I agree. Reality would be if the people were in no way aware of a camera. How dull would that be?

I think people see more at night because the whole fear of the dark notion. It's when we're most vulnerable. Primal thing I imagine. If there are ghosts for real, I can't imagine they'd be on a schedule. They'd be around all the time. I recently learned that there is supposedly the ghost of Indian chief along with some of his tribe that live in the woods behind my house. Here's the story:

My neighbor at the end of the road has a sister who is a medium. She can see ghosts and so can her son. Her brother, my neighbor, went through a nasty divorce due to his wife cheating on him. He caught them. and a few months later the dude she was screwing killed himself. Well, the sister's son was staying the night at my neighbor's house and he said he kept seeing a man there, just standing and weeping. He described the man to my neighbor and my neighbor said he was describing the dude who killed himself. So he called his sister in to check it out. She said yep, he was there and didn't want to leave because he felt too much guilt. So she called some other local wack job (I mean medium) and the two of them worked together to help the spirit move on. They both claimed to have heard chanting and realized it was the Old Chief out back, helping them move the ghost. They said he lives out back behind our property somewhere.

This is all hearsay of course, and I don't believe it, but it sounds cool. But even though I don't believe it, a part of me says it COULD be, so I won't be wacking off in the woods anymore. Not on the side of the house anyway.
    Last edited by Todd Jordan; 09-12-2011 at 12:16 PM.

But maybe the old chief would help you with that too?

Kind of a cool story. My stepdad, who isn't a superstitious dude and generally is a fairly logical guy swears up and down his old house was haunted and has some interesting stories about that.

I also recently learned some interesting stuff from my dad. I'd go to visti him on weekends in a house he lived in when I was 11-13 or so. The window of the bedroom I stayed in was ALWAYS swarming with flies, even in the dead of winter when it should have been too cold. I always used to say it was like Amityville, but he wasn't a horror movie guy and never got the reference and I never said anything more about it than that but was never comfortable there. Anyway, somehow this house came up over the summer when I was talking to him and he told me that he never said anything when we were kids but that he always felt something was 'wrong' with the house. He doesn't claim to have seen ghosts or anything like that, just that something was wrong, kind of evil, about the place. Kind of interesting to learn twenty some odd years later that he and I were getting the same vibes from the place. It might not mean anything, but yeah, there you go.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

the Chief is probably from the same tribe I am, so maybe he'd help out. I could always ecto-plasm instead of E-Z Glide.

My great-granparents old house had a room where the wind ALWAYS made an eerie noise. It was the room I used to sleep in and the next room was the loft over the barn. Creepy as heck. No matter what time of day it was, it sounded like a haunted house whistling wind. I still have nightmares about that house and being held down by an unseen force.