Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about Ghost Shows?

A HAUNTING manages to conjure up a potent creep factor from time to time and some genuine tension. It mixes a lot of lying bullshit in with certain undeniable truths and smart storytelling. It's a solid and effective horror series. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I'm not ignoring you here, Richard. I'm just waiting for some time to give you a more thoughtful reply than I'm able to at the moment - perhaps when the kids have gone to bed this evening.
    That's okay. No need to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Did anyone ever catch the MY GHOST STORY show that Richard mentioned a few pages back? I've recently acquired the first three seasons (via illicit means, but needs must...) but haven't watched them yet.
    Do let us know your impressions of MY GHOST STORY when you get around to it.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Slighty off topic and maybe of limited interest but engadget posted an interesting (and fairly lengthy) article on the technology behind the devices used in shows like Ghost Hunters, etc..

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/31/ghost-hunting/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Name:  snakeoil.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  95.0 KB

Todd - there's a Ghost Adventures marathon on Travel Channel today, I expect you to tune in and give us a full report in the morning.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I will, so long as you don't make me dress up like the ghost of John Wayne in drag again.

Ghosthunters cast member Brian Harnois left a 'goodbye' note on his facebook page and has since gone missing.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ex-g...issing?cid=rss

http://paranormaloldpueblo.com/2012/...rnois-missing/

http://lite987.com/ghost-hunter-bria...orted-missing/

Edit: according to some posts made by his wife on Twitter they found him, he's safe and will be 'getting the help he needs.'
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'm currently kinda addicted to PARANORMAL STATE, but in an ironic way. The commentary from Ryan Whatsisname, filtered to make it sound like the Kolchak tapes, pushes the over-earnestness of Ryan and co into almost self-parodic territory. It's filled with shots of Ryan looking moody, looking thoughtful, looking concerned, etc. Like Ian said, the end of each episode sees him walk away from the camera like Bill Bixby in THE INCREDIBLE HULK. ('The Lonely Man Theme' should play here.) The 'investigators' have stock phrases that could form the basis for a good drinking game. Their attempts to find supernatural explanations for events that, in most instances, seem to be the product of overactive imaginations and/or self-suggestion - plus the fact that some of their 'clients' don't seem to be playing with a full deck and many seem to need some form of counselling rather than the interference of this group whose aim seems to be to exploit and feed their clients' fear - leaves a slightly sour aftertaste. Secretly, I'm sort of unhealthily hooked on the busty Katrina, who's perfected the sultry, pouty 'serious face' and possibly thinks she's possessed by the spirit of Garbo. It's trash, but trash of the highest order. I'm watching it whilst I mark essays, and so far I've tracked through the first three seasons over the course of the past week.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

The idea behind HAUNTED COLLECTOR is that people who cherished a physical object in life can't let go of it in death. So the object becomes possessed. Call the haunted collector, his daughter, and two colleagues with their hand-held ghost detectors to come in, spend a night in the celebrity mansion, hotel, hospital, concert hall or roller rink and identify the object. The daughter does the research, mostly, looking up old newspapers and birth records online to identify the ghost by name. The whole point of the program is to make some worthless antique or piece of junk -- like a feedbag for a horse (!) -- suddenly valuable. I would not be surprised to see the "possessed objects" up for auction on ebay when the season is over. I watched four episodes in a row. How can anyone be taken in by this blatantly fake program? How did it even get on the air in the first place? The ghost detective and his team look as if they were dragged off the nearest auto wrecking yard.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
    How can anyone be taken in by this blatantly fake program? How did it even get on the air in the first place? The ghost detective and his team look as if they were dragged off the nearest auto wrecking yard.
    They're really scraping the bottom with some of this stuff lately. There's a lot of ironic humor in a ghostly feedbag but I just don't see the appeal, even to laugh at it.

I get sucked in by stuff like Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures but I made it through half an episode of Haunted Collector before changing the channel.

I'm kind of intrigued by The Dead Files where a hardboiled detective guy teams up with a psychic to figure out the truth behind hauntings.

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/the-dead-files

Mostly I'm intrigued by it because the lady in it makes strange faces.

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  12.8 KB

I'm easily amused.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!