Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about Ghost Shows?

Is he a Teletubby?

The dreamiest teletubby of them all.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Was he auditioning to be a Sleestak?

No, he's a Teletubby.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

When I'm fed up at work, I fire up the computer and watch GHOST ADVENTURES on the Internet. Loadsa fun, none of which can be taken seriously. I find it strange that Stephen Volk anticipated the format of many of these 'ghost hunting' shows with GHOSTWATCH. Did the man have a crystal ball or something? (I remember watching GHOSTWATCH when it was screened on UK television in 1992. Scared the bejeezus out of me, it did.)

The best supernatural documentary series in recent memory (imo, of course) was Discovery's A HAUNTING. Some of those episodes were interesting and, honestly, quite creepy.

Not wanting to sound like a crank, I never believed in spooks, etc, until about three years ago when I came face to face with one. Literally. Afterwards, the missus revealed that on a separate occasion, she had had the exact same experience but hadn't told anyone about it for fear of people laughing at her. Her father has since had the same experience, without having been told about it by either the missus or myself. That was enough corroboration for me to take the incident seriously and convert a devout skeptic into someone who believes. But even so, I can't take these shows seriously, and struggle to imagine an audience that does so.

Having said that, some of these shows are interesting in that amongst all the mumbo jumbo, they introduce their viewers to the history of the locations they visit. I suppose that for younger viewers, the shows are like an entertaining history lesson.
    Last edited by Paul L; 08-31-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

We're pretty much on the same wavelength there, Paul. I love the bizarre locations and the weird history behind them sometimes even more than the ghost hunting aspect of the shows and have always wondered why places like The Travel Channel don't do a series just based on 'weird historical locations' without dealing with the ghost aspect of it. If done right, it'd be great!

As far as actually believing in ghosts goes, I'm a Mulder I guess. I want to believe. I've seen a few things that I can't explain and gotten weird feelings at locations and stuff but can't say that I've actually flat out seen a ghost. Part of me definitely wants to but part of me knows I'd probably poop my pants and run away screaming.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

It's a little whacky...bush wacky...a Bushwacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jordan View Post
    It's a little whacky...bush wacky...a Bushwacker.
    What?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I watched The Bushwacker last night. That line made me laugh.

I started watching GHOST HUNTERS -- think that's the name of it -- on A&E hoping for a scary ghost story, but the program never came close to anything remotely believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    When I'm fed up at work, I fire up the computer and watch GHOST ADVENTURES on the Internet. Loadsa fun, none of which can be taken seriously. I find it strange that Stephen Volk anticipated the format of many of these 'ghost hunting' shows with GHOSTWATCH. Did the man have a crystal ball or something? (I remember watching GHOSTWATCH when it was screened on UK television in 1992. Scared the bejeezus out of me, it did.)
    I bought the region 2 of GHOSTWATCH years ago but never watched it. I probably will soon.

The best supernatural documentary series in recent memory (imo, of course) was Discovery's A HAUNTING. Some of those episodes were interesting and, honestly, quite creepy.
    Is that a recommendation? I've been wanting to check out the various ghost hunter programs but the only one I've seen thus far was so bad ....

Not wanting to sound like a crank, I never believed in spooks, etc, until about three years ago when I came face to face with one. Literally. Afterwards, the missus revealed that on a separate occasion, she had had the exact same experience but hadn't told anyone about it for fear of people laughing at her. Her father has since had the same experience, without having been told about it by either the missus or myself. That was enough corroboration for me to take the incident seriously and convert a devout skeptic into someone who believes.
    A personal experience with a spook is the only way to convert a devout skeptic into a believer. No one can be expected to believe unless it happens to them. It is deeply unsettling, even traumatic, and it stays with you for a long, long time.

But even so, I can't take these shows seriously, and struggle to imagine an audience that does so.
    Yeah. Well put.
    Last edited by Richard--W; 09-26-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.