Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about Ghost Shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
    I bought the region 2 of GHOSTWATCH years ago but never watched it. I probably will soon.
    GHOSTWATCH was very impressive at the time, Richard, inasmuch as when it was shown on television, there really hadn't been anything quite like it - and many viewers (apparently) were utterly unprepared for it, expecting it to be a real documentary about the supernatural. The use of Michael Parkinson and Sarah Greene (both television personalities known for appearing in factual programming rather than dramas) gave added weight to it. The programme was even blamed in the media for the suicide of one young man, which it is said was the reason why the BBC didn't repeat it. Bizarrely, it also anticipated the conventions of the 'reality' television supernatural shows that have become popular over the last ten or so years.
    Is that a recommendation? I've been wanting to check out the various ghost hunter programs but the only one I've seen thus far was so bad ....
    The first series (and, possibly, the second series) of A HAUNTING was quite good, Richard. I think it's worth tracking down. It takes a drama-documentary approach which mostly works, but sometimes it's guilty of a very heavy-handed use of music, and the narration can become tiring. However, the first-hand accounts are a strength - the participants are allowed to speak for themselves. After the first series, the episodes became increasingly sensationalistic, however, and less and less credible - but there were still some good episodes, even into the third and fourth series. (I remember the episode focusing on the Union Screaming House to be one of the better episodes in the series.)

A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT is available online, as I believe are several of the other episodes:

A personal experience with a spook is the only way to convert a devout skeptic into a believer. No one can be expected to believe unless it happens to them. It is deeply unsettling, even traumatic, and it stays with you for a long, long time.
    It sounds like you've had a similar experience, Richard. I don't really talk about mine, for fear of being labelled a 'crank'. However, what I will say is that it wasn't a case of simply glancing something out of the corner of my eye, but instead finding myself face to face with the spook in question. I probably would have put that down to an overactive imagination, until my partner revealed that she had had the exact same experience - and could describe to a tee the man that I saw - but hadn't told anyone about it, for fear that she would be ridiculed. That corroborative evidence was enough to confirm that what I had experienced was real.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I'll give the first season a watch in my next -go-round.

I liked THE STONE TAPE (1972) and Herbert Wise's original version of THE WOMAN IN BLACK (1989), but they weren't "reality" shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    It sounds like you've had a similar experience, Richard.
    Yes, I have.
    Last edited by Richard--W; 09-28-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

The Lyndhurst Mansion and Estate, a national monument, in Tarrytown, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D. View Post
    I still enjoy Ghost Hunters. I like that they try to debunk various situations. I lked the episode in the mansion used for "Dark Shadows". I watch Paranormal State but Ryan seems to have lost his personality....much to serious these days.
    Which episode from which season shot in the mansion used for Dark Shadows? I want to see that episode.

Locations are a pre-occupation of mine. I've done location management for indy productions. Dark Shadows shot in three different mansions. One of them burned down decades ago. That leaves either Seaview Hotel at Newport, Rhode Island or the Lyndhurst Mansion in Tarrytown, New York. The latter is a glorious place, an 1840s-era example of American's Gothic Revival in architecture. I wrote a Colonial Gothic ghost story to shoot there. Now all I need is the money.
    Last edited by Richard--W; 09-27-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Has anyone seen the 12-episode American Horror Story? The review on HTF persuades me to give it a chance. I'm buying the Blu-ray.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
    Last edited by Richard--W; 09-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.

I've got off-air recordings of the first series of AMERICAN HORROR STORY but haven't got around to watching it yet.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Has anyone seen the 12-episode American Horror Story? The review on HTF persuades me to give it a chance. I'm buying the Blu-ray.

About half way through the 1st season Blu-ray set. As much like Twin Peaks as it is whatever ghost story show you'd like to name, but it's interesting and well acted with some nice ideas. Lots of sex and violence, lots of style, cool music, interesting cast. Not sure where it's headed at the half way mark but I'm enjoying it so far.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Thanks for the positive report.

It is a great show. Well written and acted. Just do whatever you can to avoid any spoilers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0093ZH51...671_pe_epc_dt2

Has anyone seen this Brit series coming out next week?

No. Looks interesting though, Richard. I'll see if I can rent it.

Meanwhile, may I recommend this series: http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Ghos...=pd_sim_d_h__1 There are some fascinating episodes about historic locations - no dramatic reconstructions, all to-camera interviews.